Do you buy new games often or always preowned?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5837c1bea62c5
deactivated-5837c1bea62c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By deactivated-5837c1bea62c5
Member since 2007 • 152 Posts

Just curious to see how many people are like me.

Some gamers may see me as scummy because most of the time I buy pre-owned. Out of the 135 ish games I own, I would say about 20 per cent of them were bought new. (not including digital games) Even then most of the games I own are pre-owned and if new have always dropped dramatically in price (due to the fact they have been released for years). I think out of all the games I have bought new and at full price they would be all my 3ds games: Pokemon X, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity, Animal Crossing New Leaf and Skyrim.

I am tempted to pre-order Fable: Anniversary but have never pre-ordered a game before.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

Most of the time I wait until the new prices become reasonable and I buy most of them new that way. I'd say 10% of my games were used. Some of the DS games I bought were used.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#3 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I've rented and bought many games used. I'll usually only go with new if I really can't wait to get to the game. Even then, I might check eBay a few weeks after its released and save about $20.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

I've got nothing against buying used, but I usually only buy them when there's some kind of big deal at Gamestop- Buy 2 Get 1s or Save X%(as long as that "X" is over 30%).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5837c1bea62c5

@SoNin360 said:

I've rented and bought many games used. I'll usually only go with new if I really can't wait to get to the game. Even then, I might check eBay a few weeks after its released and save about $20.

I have found myself doing this recently. Well ever since I got my 3ds as I can't really be fussy with preowned NIntendo games as they are usually only a few pounds apart.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I usually buy new once they've hit the bargain bin. If they're still asking $40 a year after release I'll get a used copy for $15 - $20. I'd say maybe 80% of my games were purchased new.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Last gen I bought most of my games off kijji classifieds. New and used. I like it because sometimes I can get a new release for $50 cash. I just picked up Gran turismo 6 for $40.

I only bought a few games new from gamestop like GTAV and The Last of us.

But all 5 games I have for ps4 were bought new from target/best buy.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44760 Posts

I pretty much buy all my games new. The last time I bought a used game was back in the PS2 era because it was the only way for me to get a hard to find game. Nowadays it's pretty easy for me to get most any game new and for games that may get limited print runs I'll buy them right away.

Jehuty08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jehuty08
Member since 2007 • 1950 Posts

Last used game I bought was P4 back in 2009, and thats only because I couldnt find a new version of it in stores. Had a bad experience twice with used games, so I usually try to avoid them.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22433 Posts

I very rarely buy used games... it's not that I'm against pre-owned games (I trade games regularly), but I usually find that the price difference between new & used isn't big enough to warrant me buying a used copy. So 98% of the time I just buy new.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

i almost always buy new but i just bought a used copy of Ni No Kuni the other day because it was only 8 bucks

Muffin2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Muffin2020
Member since 2013 • 534 Posts

For anything released in the last few months new as it's easier to buy them online.

For old games nearly always preowned unless there is some insane sale going on.

Last preowned game I got was Halo 4 for £6.00 as I never got around to playing it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5837c1bea62c5

@hrt_rulz01 said:

es (I trade games regularly), but I usually find that the price difference between new & used isn't big enough to warrant me buying a used copy.

Ah see I can wait a long time before buying a game preowned so in about two years or so the game usually drops by a lot.

That said I am buying Injustice Ultimate Editiion New but only because it is £20.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#14 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i almost buy all of them new, because i want to support the developer. But i do buy used game once in a while if they are cheap

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#15  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Used. Why pay more when there are cheaper options?

I-AM-N00B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 I-AM-N00B
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

I buy some new but others preowned. If theres a game being released I really want to play, or if the price difference between new and preowned isnt that much then I'll buy it new, but if the preowned game is £5 or more cheaper, and I'm trying out a new franchise then I'll normally just buy a preowned copy.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17  Edited By Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

I buy almost exclusively new. The only times I make exceptions are when developers enact abusive DLC schemes or if the game is online only (which I normally don't play anyway).

When developers get nuts with DLC, I first try to hold off on a purchase until they include everything and the game is about half the price. I want to send the message that they could have made $60 at launch, but instead ended up only making $30. Then there are times when I planned on buying a game and they release a season pass before the game is even out and they don't even say what it is exactly that the season pass is buying. In those cases, I DO buy used, or I simply Gamefly them. In either case, the developer doesn't make any money.

For online only games, I realize that the game will eventually be worthless anyway once they shut the servers off, so I have no inclination to pay new prices for something that will eventually be a useless coaster. Then again, I rarely (RARELY) buy online only games.

Other than that, I am more than happy to pay a developer full price for a game every time.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#18  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I buy all my games new I never buy a used game.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

Mostly used with exceptions for big titles.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

About 99% of my PS3 collection I bought sealed online or thru PSN (only PS3 game I've bought used for about 4 bucks was Virtua Fighter 5, which I bought when Ultimate came out on PSN for 40 bucks.)

I'd guess about 85% of my PS2 collection, I bought sealed online, too (had bought quite a few used, but eventually learned that I could find most new and sealed online for about the same price and sometimes, cheaper.)

I pretty much quit buying new games from Gamestop when they started selling opened games as New. And I've yet to sell a game to them or anyone for that matter.

As for PC... I mostly buy from Steam, now, during the holiday sales.

Oh, and I forgot to mention... I usually don't buy games until they are around 20 bucks. There are a few exceptions, though.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

I don't own a lot of games but I buy new when I do buy. If the developer doesn't make money than we wont have any games to play. I'm on a budget as is other people but I enjoy gaming so I try to help them to help me. Gaming is already struggling and I'm going to do what I can to help so that I continuie to have some sort of entertainment.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#22 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

95% of the time I buy new on day one. I find value from being part of whatever discussion might spring up about whatever cool new game has just hit the market.

The only time I'll buy a used game is when I'm picking up an old title that I didn't get around to trying when it first came out or if there is an out of print game and you just can't get it new.

Not that there is anything wrong with buying used games. The hobby can be expensive and not everyone can drop $60 or more a month to play games. If used is what fits your budget and needs, the used it is. Consumer choice is what it's all about. :)

msulcs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 msulcs
Member since 2011 • 45 Posts

For PS3 only new games. For my retro collections theyre all used

david61983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By david61983
Member since 2013 • 288 Posts

About 50/50 for me though. I always wait for prices to go down. With the exception of GTA V which I bought new for $34 on Black Friday I haven't paid more than $20 for a game in years.

Carl_W21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Carl_W21
Member since 2004 • 2021 Posts

All of my games are new, I only really buy FIFA and GTA at new full price, rest I just get along the way at a discounted new price.

However since I discovered Amazon US is about £20 cheaper per game than UK Amazon, I think I will now get games new as soon as they are available rather than hanging around for a year or so.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#26 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Both. I just go for the best deal. If the pre-owned games are in great shape, who cares? As soon as you put your new game in the disc tray, it stops being new.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

I buy most of my games new, esp the ones i'm interested in, but if i see a bargain i'm not going to say no, i'm not really one for playing online all that much so aslong as it has a single player i'm all good.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#28  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Mr-Vamps said:

Just curious to see how many people are like me.

Some gamers may see me as scummy because most of the time I buy pre-owned. Out of the 135 ish games I own, I would say about 20 per cent of them were bought new. (not including digital games) Even then most of the games I own are pre-owned and if new have always dropped dramatically in price (due to the fact they have been released for years). I think out of all the games I have bought new and at full price they would be all my 3ds games: Pokemon X, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity, Animal Crossing New Leaf and Skyrim.

I am tempted to pre-order Fable: Anniversary but have never pre-ordered a game before.

Never buy used, only time i ever did buy a few games used was when the local blockbuster had a firesale and they sold pretty new games for a low price.

But if you like to buy used and not support the developers :) then its your right to do so.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

New ones are cheaper than preowned where I buy, so.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I don't always buy at full price, but I always buy new.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

I have a huge ass collection (still not as many titles as some of the users on here tho..) and it's really a mixed bag. Retro games are kinda of hard to find in "new" condition and are usually marked up a couple hundred dollars, so I'd buy it used.

Some games I think I'd enjoy, but I wouldn't consider worth full price - so I buy it on ebay or through forums. some examples are ni no kuni, lollipop chainsaw, beyond: two souls, etc...

Some games, I absolutely cannot wait for the price to go down or to track down a used copy, so I buy it brand new day one... i.e. anything by Treasure, CAVE, vanillaware, platinum games, etc..

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#32 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

I only buy new. I wish we lived in an all digital world without Gamefly and Gamestop where sales were generous and used games were a thing of the past... the way it is with PC.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

I do a lot of both.

It always cracks me up when I read snobbish self-congratulatory comments from gamers who think they support devs more than someone who buys used, but only buy a few new titles per year. If I buy 20 new games and 20 used games, I'm still supporting them more than someone who only buys 10 new games per year, so stfu.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

Mostly new, sometimes pre-owned. I usually buy on Amazon.

insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts

Probably around half new and half pre-owned. Obviously if its a game I really want I'll buy it new on day one, with older games I want but haven't got around to getting I sometimes have no choice but to buy pre-owned. When I do have a choice, it'll depend on the price difference between the new and pre-owned copy.

CarcassPlays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CarcassPlays
Member since 2013 • 74 Posts

@guynamedbilly said:

Most of the time I wait until the new prices become reasonable and I buy most of them new that way. I'd say 10% of my games were used. Some of the DS games I bought were used.

Yeah, this is exactly what I do. I usually buy my games from Amazon, though, if I wanna get my games for cheaper, and new.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

So the ones you buy new supports the developer and the ones you buy used supports the scammers like Gamestop. Don't be so emotional!

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17713 Posts

Shame-us sums up my position pretty much.

I 99% of the time buy new, unless there's some bullshit practice I disagree with. I want to support good games and devs as much as possible. I'll only buy used if I can't find it new due to age or want to flip the bird to asshole business schemes.