Do trade-ins create a false sense of value? (Rant)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 billyd5301
Member since 2008 • 1572 Posts

I own a small-ish video game store, and I need to vent a little to the gaming community...

For one, be sure that selling used games is the only way for any video game associated store to make money and stay open. The publishers will not even talk to you unless you are ordering thousands of copies of one game. They will send you back a generic email explaining that you should go to a distributor like Jack of All Games or VPD. A distibutor wants about $54 dollars for a $60 game to begin with, then if you do not order at least 20 copies they make you pay shipping on top of that. And even after all that is done they want to charge you $6 to run a debit/credit card unless you want to run a line of credit with them.

In the time that I did use a distributor they messed up and lost me 7 sales on WoW Cataclism after they simply failed to ship it because my rep's child was sick and he didn't authorize it to be shipped. Then they tried to charge me shipping on 2 Xbox 360, a DSi Xl, and a bunch of games, when orders over $400 are supposed to be free. The reasoning? The 360s have to be shipped seperate from everything else to ensure they aren't damaged, the DSi Xl could be combined but it was in one warehouse, and the games were in another, so I would have to pay shipping on everything. By the time you are done you would be lucky to get a $60 game shipped from a distributor for under $65.

So unless your store is Game Stop or Wal Mart it's probably most efficent to run your store's pre-oders through Amazon.

So I do the only logical thing, break even on pre-orders and make money off of used games. That usually works great. All of my newer pre-owned games never exceed $45. Crysis 2 - $45, Fight Night Champion - $45, Black Ops the week after it came out, $45. That way I have no problem giving someone $30 for a current game on trade-in, and they can get another current game for $15. Every single game I have in this generation is 15%-25% cheaper than big retailers.

But at least once a week... I get someone who brings in a box of things that could include, a stack of PS2 games, Guitar Hero guitars on various systems, Rock Band drums, scratched up PS1 games, and damaged systems missing the connections and/or controllers. Basically things that you shove in a box and forget about for a couple years, then find and say "Hey I bet this stuff is worth a lot now!" This is where my rant is... I usually politely decline the trade-in explaining that I have around 700 ps2 titles, and a full store with no room for guitars, drums, etc, etc... But some people insist on what I would give them cash/trade-in. Then I have to explain there is absolutely no way I would give cash for it, and say something like $9 trade for everything. Then they say something like "That's a rip off, you are going to sell all of that for $10 a piece!".

Which is true. But I am going to have to spend time/$ refurbishing almost everything there. And then I have to wait for someone to actually buy any of it for $10 a piece. It might happen in a day, but most likely it might happen by 6 months from now. Meanwhile they are looking to trade that even up for a copy of Black Ops for $40. I can sell Black Ops for $40 to people all week. I MIGHT be able to sell Spiderwick Chronicles and a guitar both for ps2 by the end of the year.

On one hand I think it's bad to upset people and let them walk out angry, but on the other hand I think it takes a certain level of audacity to think that you should get anywhere near resell value for 5 year old game (that sucks) if you aren't selling it to someone yourself. I usually wish I could say "If you think that you can get $10 for Cold Fear then by all means go find someone to buy it for that".

So that's what I want to know. Do you think that ps2/xbox/cube era games should trade in at anywhere near wii/ps3/360 values? Personally I know from experience that I am more likely to sell a copy of a subpar game like Homefront or Medal of Honor for a new system than I am to sell the best the last gen could offer like Shaddow of the Colossus, ICO, or KotoR.

billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 billyd5301

I would also like to add that when I purchase something for entertainment I realize that is what I am paying for. In other words, if I buy a fishing pole for $50 I realize that my fishing pole might get a couple hundred hours of relaxation. But I know that when I am through with the pole I am either going to give it away, or toss it in the garbage. I do not expect to pay $50 for a fishing pole, use it for a couple of months, then take it back and try to get $40 out of it. I'm not sure why people that buy video games do not understand this concept. If you buy Rock Band for $150 and you get a couple hundred hours of fun out if that's great. When you are done give it to someone else or toss it. There is no written agreement that you should get x percentage back on an item, especially tech items like video games.

It makes me ALMOST understand where Gamestop is coming from with their ridiculously low trade values. I called one today for a customer to inquire about the new Tiger Woods Masters game. It trades for $20, cash is $15. Yeah that is REALLY low I will admit, but Gamestop didn't hold a gun to your head and scream at you to buy it either. If you shelled out $60 without doing your research and are looking to unload it, literally days later, there is no guarantee that you should even get $15 out of it. I gave the guy $25 and I will sell it for $40, but he was still bitter about that. A trade-in is and should be "I don't play this game anymore ever so I should see if I can get a few bucks off of something I will play". Not "I paid $60 for this 3 months ago, I need to at least get $35 back out of it".

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#4 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I'd take 35 for my used Mortal Kombat. >.>
billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 billyd5301
If someone was driving a hard bargain I'd do $35 on the new MK. It would be gone by the end of the day, so it'd be a win-win.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Allicrombie
that was an interesting read though, I'm always interested in the goings on behind the counter of little stores. I used to trade in tons of games at Gamestop til I got tired of getting lowballed. Now I just keep everything. Last big trade in I did was several years ago, I traded in like 70 some 360 games (most which I bought new), but were now several years old, only got around 300.
billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 billyd5301
You know it all really depends on the game when you are a smaller store. For example, right now I would give more for say Bulletstorm than I would for BOPs or Reach, because I have something like 12 of each of those. It also depends on your customer base. I know my regulars and what they are looking for. But having a used Bulletstorm would make me more $ than my 13th copy of Reach or BOPs because I will sell it before a price drop. I'm actually probably going to open a second store by years end because I have so much stuff that it just doesn't fit anymore. I do everything from Intellivision to current so you need a lot of room. Right now this store is 120% full and I have a whole room at home with things in storage. Honestly I think you are most times better to just keep things, especially if you actually enjoy the item. Your copy of Bayonetta is probably worth more than $8 to you, and I can totally respect those things. Gamestop is the ultimate low ball though. Like I said, I can almost understand their thinking and their overhead, but I do feel it's wrong to offer $15-$20 for Tiger 11 fully knowing that they can sell that game all day long at $50. That's just too much margin for something that popular.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Allicrombie
I wish Gamestop did retro consoles, I miss my old SNES and Dreamcast. Everytime I go in Gamestop there are about a thousand used PS2 games lying around that they'll never get rid of.
billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 billyd5301
Yeah I look for them to totally get out of ps2 very soon. It's just at a dead period like PS1 used to be. But then they always make a come back too. But for right now they are below worthless because they take up space. Gamestop doesn't really have the room to do retro and even when they did their prices were insane. I remember a copy of Secret of Mana at my local EB like 10 years ago and they wanted like $70. I only sell it for $40 now!
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Allicrombie
aww SoM is like my favorite game. I'd shell out 40 for it easy. Dont suppose your store is in Southern Cali? >.>
billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 billyd5301
Western Pennsylvania lol. A little far apart!
Armoured_Mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 Armoured_Mage
Member since 2005 • 766 Posts

i do agree with this tbh but i will say one thing, if you offer trade ins for games you should either explicitly state that you dont take certain types of games/ managers decision is final or you should trade in everything that some1 brings you, after all theres nothing stopping you giving out 1$ per if you really didnt want it.

i dont think you should really be sayin, i cant sell this or i have loads of that to customers, i know id be pretty pissed off if that was the reason i was given for not accpeting a trade in and i wouldnt come back.

but despite this i do agree with you, i think its more a case of a president(sp?) has been set with trading in games and people think they deserve this.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

i do agree with this tbh but i will say one thing, if you offer trade ins for games you should either explicitly state that you dont take certain types of games/ managers decision is final or you should trade in everything that some1 brings you, after all theres nothing stopping you giving out 1$ per if you really didnt want it.

i dont think you should really be sayin, i cant sell this or i have loads of that to customers, i know id be pretty pissed off if that was the reason i was given for not accpeting a trade in and i wouldnt come back.

but despite this i do agree with you, i think its more a case of a president(sp?) has been set with trading in games and people think they deserve this.

Armoured_Mage

This. You'll avoid a lot of customer discontent if you put up a readily noticeable policy somewhere that explains you won't accept trade-ins on many last generation games, sports games, anything with a plastic instrument controller, etc. Most people assume that if your store accepts trade-ins that your store will accept ANY trade-in, and will thus be understandably upset if they come in and get told that there's an unwritten policy that says their games in particular cannot be traded in. It's a pretty important thing to do too considering that the next likely stop people will make after being turned down by your store is Gamestop, and assuming Gamestop buys their crap you'll have almost certainly lost that customer for good.

That said, you may want to consider expanding your business to online sales if you haven't already. While some games will move slowly in a typical retail environment, you'll have relatively little trouble getting rid of them online, especially if you sell in bulk. Unfortunately auction sites like eBay do take a large chunk out of your sales, but if you buy low enough to begin with that shouldn't be too much of an issue. And seriously, don't be afraid of lowballing people. If they're dumb enough to trade-in a game to what is essentially a pawn shop and expect a fair price then they deserve to be ripped off. The only thing that matters is that you buy games at a higher price than Gamestop (which I assume is your main competitor).

Also how many pre-orders do you get in a given year and what's the average amount of time people wait before release to pre-order? Because depending on the amount of total money you get pre-orders and assuming you get at least a month before launch you may want to look into dumping all that pre-order money into a high interest account so that you can skim interest in the meantime as extra profit before you have to withdraw the money again to place all the orders.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Gamers/people are dumb and cheap? Nothing new to see here............
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
Western Pennsylvania lol. A little far apart!billyd5301
where in western PA? if its near me, i may have to stop by lol :P
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
Gamers/people are dumb and cheap? Nothing new to see here............X360PS3AMD05
People always want to get as much money as they can, regardless of the actual value of what they have.
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

I'd take 35 for my used Mortal Kombat. >.>Allicrombie

Pretty lame, isn't it?

Hey, SSF4 Arcade Edition is coming out soon, at least =/

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Allicrombie

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"]I'd take 35 for my used Mortal Kombat. >.>Jbul

Pretty lame, isn't it?

its okay , I finished story mode at least.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

I'd like to ask you, how much are publishers asking for the purchase of a $50 PC title?

Im exclusively a PC gamer. Theres pretty much no such thing as used PC games.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

[QUOTE="Jbul"]

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"]I'd take 35 for my used Mortal Kombat. >.>Allicrombie

Pretty lame, isn't it?

its okay , I finished story mode at least.

Hmm, you're an optimisitic one, eh? I rented the turd of a game, and I want my $7 back.... LMAO =)

billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 billyd5301

[QUOTE="Armoured_Mage"]

gameguy6700

This. You'll avoid a lot of customer discontent if you put up a readily noticeable policy somewhere that explains you won't accept trade-ins on many last generation games, sports games, anything with a plastic instrument controller, etc. Most people assume that if your store accepts trade-ins that your store will accept ANY trade-in, and will thus be understandably upset if they come in and get told that there's an unwritten policy that says their games in particular cannot be traded in. It's a pretty important thing to do too considering that the next likely stop people will make after being turned down by your store is Gamestop, and assuming Gamestop buys their crap you'll have almost certainly lost that customer for good.

That said, you may want to consider expanding your business to online sales if you haven't already. While some games will move slowly in a typical retail environment, you'll have relatively little trouble getting rid of them online, especially if you sell in bulk. Unfortunately auction sites like eBay do take a large chunk out of your sales, but if you buy low enough to begin with that shouldn't be too much of an issue. And seriously, don't be afraid of lowballing people. If they're dumb enough to trade-in a game to what is essentially a pawn shop and expect a fair price then they deserve to be ripped off. The only thing that matters is that you buy games at a higher price than Gamestop (which I assume is your main competitor).

Also how many pre-orders do you get in a given year and what's the average amount of time people wait before release to pre-order? Because depending on the amount of total money you get pre-orders and assuming you get at least a month before launch you may want to look into dumping all that pre-order money into a high interest account so that you can skim interest in the meantime as extra profit before you have to withdraw the money again to place all the orders.

Took a while to reply but I've been busy. When I said this, what I meant is that people bring in junk. Just because a place takes trade-ins does not mean that there shouldn't be any common sense involved. It goes without saying that most people don't want dirty, scratched discs with no box. Otherwise, right now I do not know of any "high interest" accounts at all. And no I don't sell online, the plan is to open 4 or more stores, so everything will be going somewhere.
billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 billyd5301
[QUOTE="billyd5301"]Western Pennsylvania lol. A little far apart!starwarsjunky

Uniontown PA
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Used things are worth less then when they were new, only way they would increase in price is if they are old and/or rare enough to be worth more for collectors. Which I why I don't trade in games, I'd rather keep them and if later in life I have something rare that collectors would pay more to get then I'll consider selling it then.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
It's just the easy access of everything. Someone can look online and see what's they are selling for on ebay and then think they can get that from their local shop and save on shipping. There's a lot of smart people who actively play these kinds of games, but there's a lot of people who don't understand the value of money also. I'd say they outnumber the smart ones.
TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Interesting read, always fun to see the other side of things, and it being from a small independent retailer rather than the corporate mogul of Gamestop makes it that much more intriguing.

After reading your OP, am I right in inferring that you make little to no profit off of new games? And would the same apply for a store like Gamestop, or do they buy in such bulk that they recieve compensation?

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

I feel your pain mate, I really do. I worked in a "used" (we got new stuff in quite a lot) gameshop for about 2 years when I first moved to London and my god people are stupid.

I remember one guy who brought in his sons original Xbox (no games) and wanted to exchange it for a second hand 360 for him. We said OK and told him that it would still cost him £110 (At the time we sold them for £120, making £20 profit), because we had tons of original Xbox's already (normally we wouldn't have taken it at all but he was wanting a console so we where prepared to take it). He then completely flipped out, screaming that we where con-artists, and that upgrading to the 360 was supposed to be free, and then started threatening us and he actually tried to take the 360 from us, so we had to call the police. I felt kinda sorry for his kid though, he thought he was going to be getting a 360 and instead he sees his dad taken away by the police, we didn't press charges against him because we hoped that realizing how much he scared his son would be punishment enough. Needless to say we didn't see them in the shop again.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#27 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
It's just the easy access of everything. Someone can look online and see what's they are selling for on ebay and then think they can get that from their local shop and save on shipping. There's a lot of smart people who actively play these kinds of games, but there's a lot of people who don't understand the value of money also. I'd say they outnumber the smart ones.guynamedbilly
This.
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 starwarsjunky
[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"][QUOTE="billyd5301"]Western Pennsylvania lol. A little far apart!billyd5301

Uniontown PA

thatd be a little too far, then. i'm in pittsburgh.
ModeDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 ModeDude
Member since 2009 • 1135 Posts
It's a thing that not enough people understand, items depreciate in value over time (Unless they're rare and very much sought after). When you've bought a game, the longer you own it, the more likely it's going to go down in value. Besides, the value of money itself depreciates over time anyway due to inflation and such, so old games are cheaper now. I can completely understand your rejection of old PS2 games, they're in abundance in most shops I go to, maybe have a notice or something saying certain game trade-ins are "subject to negotiation" or have a cut-off point for certain games. What In tend to see in Used game stores around where I live is a list of games the store is looking to buy off of customers for trading in, usually popular ones or games that the store doesn't have much of, it might get people who look at it to think "I have that game, and I'm pretty much done with it, maybe I should trade it in for a bit of money."
no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 no_more_fayth
Member since 2010 • 11928 Posts

I turned in, like, 8 games and got $100.

Maybe I'm just good-lookin'? :o

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 starwarsjunky

no_more_fayth
depends what games they were ;)
no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 no_more_fayth
Member since 2010 • 11928 Posts

[QUOTE="no_more_fayth"]

starwarsjunky

depends what games they were ;)

The monies or how attractive I am? :P

billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 billyd5301

Interesting read, always fun to see the other side of things, and it being from a small independent retailer rather than the corporate mogul of Gamestop makes it that much more intriguing.

After reading your OP, am I right in inferring that you make little to no profit off of new games? And would the same apply for a store like Gamestop, or do they buy in such bulk that they recieve compensation?

TacticalDesire
No, small retailers are honestly lucky to even break even on a new video game, especially after a price drop occurs. The best, and I mean the BEST situation would be to get a $60 game for around $54 shipped from a distributor. The distributors all know that you have nowhere else to go and that the publishers will not even deal with you so they try to take as much advantage of you as they can. The same does not apply for Gamestop and I have thought about filing a lawsuit on this. Say I message Nintendo, which I have done, and I say "I own a game store blah blah I want to sell Nintendo products directly from Nintnedo". They then send me back a email that says something like "Nintendo does not work directly with any retailer, here is a list of approved distributors". But my partner was a manager at EB and Gamestop briefly, and I have worked at UPS, and I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that Nintendo and every other company absolutely does deal directly with Gamestop. Now, if Gamestop buys 20 million copies of the new Call of Duty, and I buy 20, yes I expect that I should have to pay more. But it is in no way fair that they won't deal with small business at all. Most times going through a distributor means getting your games days late which in turn means lost sales, and that is a ridiculously unfair practice.
billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 billyd5301

I feel your pain mate, I really do. I worked in a "used" (we got new stuff in quite a lot) gameshop for about 2 years when I first moved to London and my god people are stupid.

I remember one guy who brought in his sons original Xbox (no games) and wanted to exchange it for a second hand 360 for him. We said OK and told him that it would still cost him £110 (At the time we sold them for £120, making £20 profit), because we had tons of original Xbox's already (normally we wouldn't have taken it at all but he was wanting a console so we where prepared to take it). He then completely flipped out, screaming that we where con-artists, and that upgrading to the 360 was supposed to be free, and then started threatening us and he actually tried to take the 360 from us, so we had to call the police. I felt kinda sorry for his kid though, he thought he was going to be getting a 360 and instead he sees his dad taken away by the police, we didn't press charges against him because we hoped that realizing how much he scared his son would be punishment enough. Needless to say we didn't see them in the shop again.

spike6958
Yeah, the sad part is I believe every part of this. People don't try to get into movies for free, so I can only believe that it's the whole trade-in process that makes people think that they should be able to constantly trade in items that are years old for brand new ones. You wouldn't take a 5 year old Cell Phone to Verizon and expect them to hand you a Droid X for free, but I guess that is some people's mentality. As for the Xbox situation, I have one similar I guess. I have probably about 40 PS1 systems. People bring them in every week. At this point I will not even touch one unless it is: A. Clean. It's not worth putting the time into cleaning a PS1 that retails for $20. B. Has all cables and 1 controller. Usually I give about $5 trade for them, I will go $8 if it is in absolutely beautiful shape. Honestly most people are thrilled to be getting it out of their house, and they make a quick $5. Every once in awhile I do get asked about why it's $5 and I am selling it for $20. I just go with honesty. "Sorry man, I have about 40 of them in storage plus what's in this store. I sold one about 3 weeks ago, so they aren't really flying off the shelves". And that is usually always good enough.
billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 billyd5301
It's a thing that not enough people understand, items depreciate in value over time (Unless they're rare and very much sought after). When you've bought a game, the longer you own it, the more likely it's going to go down in value. Besides, the value of money itself depreciates over time anyway due to inflation and such, so old games are cheaper now. I can completely understand your rejection of old PS2 games, they're in abundance in most shops I go to, maybe have a notice or something saying certain game trade-ins are "subject to negotiation" or have a cut-off point for certain games. What In tend to see in Used game stores around where I live is a list of games the store is looking to buy off of customers for trading in, usually popular ones or games that the store doesn't have much of, it might get people who look at it to think "I have that game, and I'm pretty much done with it, maybe I should trade it in for a bit of money."ModeDude
Actually a great idea, thank you! I think I will make a hot list of newer games, and throw some Shadow of the Colossus, FF Games and that type of stuff too. There is really a sweet spot in video games that a lot of people don't realize. Take PS1. PS1 games were at one time $50. Then the PS2 game out and you literally could not GIVE PS1 games away. People would not take them. By that time the few people still playing PS1 had it modded and had every game anyways. But now, PS1 games are almost considered antiques. People want the Crash games, the FF games, the Tomb Raider games, and all of that because that's what they grew up with. A few games like Tactics Ogre, FFVII, Symphony of the Night are worth more now than they were 12 years ago. And now that PS3 is out you can shovel PS2 games into a fire and burn them all day long and no one would care one bit. Come 5 years down the road though the same thing will happen and people will be looking to buy the Jaks, Ratchet and Clank, FFX, etc.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#36 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

There are tons of unreasonable / stupid people in the world who think their old junk should be worth a lot of money. They're unable to grasp the concept that if no one wants to buy it, its value is therefore $0.

I guess my advice would be to tell them to sell it on Ebay and make it sound like you're doing them a huge favor by giving them this wonderful money-making tip.