Do people buy strategy guides for games ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shatilov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 Shatilov
Member since 2005 • 4150 Posts

I am talking about the guides that comes alone, that people purchase beside the game. The guides from BradyGames and Prima ?

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

No, there's just zero need for it these days. Every single thing in the guides will be available online for free, that is virtually guaranteed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#3 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

Haven't bought one since the GameCube days. Games have just become so easy these days, I hardly find a need for one. And like @jer_1 said, what's the point if you can hop on the Internet and get your answers in a flash?

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I feel like they are just a waste of money with the option of being able to find anything on the net.

Shatilov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 Shatilov
Member since 2005 • 4150 Posts

if what u guys are saying is correct, then how come every game out there has a strategy guide released for it, why haven't these companies stopped releasing guides for the games.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44453 Posts

Yes I like to buy the stand-alone guides, mostly for JRPG's. I love to check out all the enemy stats, weapon stats, items, magic, etc. I also enjoy looking at the artwork and just reading it in general. I will sometimes pick up strat guides for fighting games and large open-world games like GTA. To me a quality guide for a game I enjoy is an essential collectible. My favourite is Brady Games.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Yes I like to buy the stand-alone guides, mostly for JRPG's. I love to check out all the enemy stats, weapon stats, items, magic, etc. I also enjoy looking at the artwork and just reading it in general. I will sometimes pick up strat guides for fighting games and large open-world games like GTA. To me a quality guide for a game I enjoy is an essential collectible. My favourite is Brady Games.

I can respect that. If your a collector than I can see why you value the guides.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

Only rarely will I buy one- usually because it's for a game I love(last one was Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood). There was, however, one game I played this year where I would have been totally lost without free digital guide I got as a preorder bonus- Monster Hunter 3U.

For a handheld game, there was just so much shit in that game that I didn't understand or that needed defining that I would have been lost without it. The hardest part of the whole thing was that I have to read the confounded thing on my telephone. I don't think they ever released it in print.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

If they are still being produced, then people still buy them. Is there a need? Not really with all info available online for free. But there are still those that want and need a physical product on hand. Haven't bought one since Wind Waker.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Shatilov said:

I am talking about the guides that comes alone, that people purchase beside the game. The guides from BradyGames and Prima ?

Not really, everything can be found online today in free versions so the only time i get a "guide" is if it comes with a collectors ed.

But i guess people still buy them otherwise there wouldn´t be made any of them if they all just turned out a loss.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#11 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

Strategy Guides like that are the vestigial organ of the gaming industry. They served some purpose once, but their presence has outlived it's purpose.

Jehuty08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jehuty08
Member since 2007 • 1950 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

pretty much the same deal for me

touchscreenpad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 touchscreenpad
Member since 2013 • 220 Posts

There are tons of guides on the net...for free.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I did in the past. Most games during the seventh generation were uncomplicated for me as a player, so I did not have much need. Hopefully this generation, the complexity of games increases to at least their former state so I can be more immersed with them again.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

They're pretty much useless when basically any information you need is accessible online. I've never really bothered with them, though I did obtain one when I bought Skyrim used off of eBay a long time ago, it was only about $5 more, so I figured why not. It was fairly helpful for a while, but I definitely wouldn't have spent money on purchasing it separately.

moix123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 moix123
Member since 2013 • 71 Posts

i bought once, but that time i had no internet. I bought mortal combat guide. To learn fatalities brutalities etc.

demondogx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 demondogx
Member since 2009 • 288 Posts

Apperently ppl do, otherwise they wouldent still be makeing them.
But i remember the times where i would buy a game and the cd box would contain a huge guide for free.

khatibi22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#18 khatibi22
Member since 2005 • 7330 Posts

Used to buy game guides before Internet times but now you can get illustrated guides and video guides via Internet. I haven't got any in ages but I still read gaming mags so I reckon printed gaming guides may still be fun too.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

The only one I've really used was for Final Fantasy XIII-2. Because of the structure of that game with tons of fairly involved quests to get various crystals, it was a lot easier to have a book than to be constantly looking that stuff up online. Others I've bought, for Skyrim and Kingdoms of Amalur, I never ended up using. I didn't need much help and when I did it was much easier to do a Google search than to go sorting through the index of those books, which tend to be pretty incomplete.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

@Shatilov said:

if what u guys are saying is correct, then how come every game out there has a strategy guide released for it, why haven't these companies stopped releasing guides for the games.

Because of parents. Parents see them and say "Oh little johnny could use this for the pokemon game" because they are not smart enough to think "Oh if little johnny needs to know where to find a pokemon he can just google it".

That and strategy guide companies can survive on very little revenue since it only takes 1 or 2 people to write a guide, then they have a company print it for them. You can run a whole company with like less than 20 people, maybe even just a dozen. So they last because they cost so little.

But anyone who buys one anymore is a money wasting fool. With these 2 sites alone every strategy guide written is obsolete www.gamefaqs.com and www.youtube.com

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

@Shatilov said:

Kind of takes the surprise out of games and just seems like a general waste of paper. I did like them for the Final Fantasy games with the quick references item databases and such.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

I always liked Game Guides. Mostly because i always joy holding those big books.