Do I need to play the previous Dragon Age games in order to play Inquisition?

Avatar image for deactivated-5bacece731933
deactivated-5bacece731933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5bacece731933
Member since 2015 • 218 Posts

I like the open world dynamics and the overall look of Inquisition but Origins, for example, does not seem so much like a game that I would like. I was wondering if I need to play the first two games in order to play Inquisition?

Xshinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2  Edited By Xshinobi
Member since 2003 • 3011 Posts

From my understanding the story and world makes reference the previous games but it wouldn't take that much away from your experience. You could always read the wiki for 1 and 2 before diving in but with all of that said I haven't played DA:I but after co-workers and friends talk endlessly about it, that is the impression that I got.

BattleStreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 BattleStreak
Member since 2016 • 1763 Posts

You don't have to, to understand the story line. I would recommend at least looking up what happens in Dragon Age Origins 1 & 2.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#4 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

It's not completely necessary, but a few events and characters are referenced and seen from the previous titles. I'd recommend playing the first two games either way, especially Origins.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

While you might miss a few references you'll be fine playing Inquisition without having played the other two games.

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

No. In fact it's better that you haven't so you don't get let down. :)

GeorgeOglee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 GeorgeOglee
Member since 2013 • 44 Posts

I'd say no, and I haven't even played it aha.

From what I've heard, usually in these big 'trilogy' franchises the third game is the most accessible of them all because they've had two iterations to perfect the game itself and by that point they know it's not only the core fanbase along for the ride, I know The Witcher 3 for example doesn't require you to play the other two to enjoy it. I've also heard the same for Dragon Age & Mass Effect.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#8 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Play DA Origins, Awakening, and its other DLC. That game was decent.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
deactivated-5d68555a05c4b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
Member since 2015 • 1024 Posts

It's probably a good idea not so... Then you won't realize how infinitely superior Origins is to Inquisition

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

Origins is the best in the series so I'd just get that one.

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts

I've played it with out having played any other ones. I didn't feel like I was missing anything and I enjoyed the game.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

@jcopp72: You missed origins, the best in the series.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@putaspongeon said:

This, Dragon Age Origins was and still is one of the nicest done RPGs to this day. You're not doing yourself any favors by not playing it TC.

Gagomkd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#14 Gagomkd
Member since 2009 • 287 Posts

You are not required to but you should. Beside that the other Dragon Age games are awesome, the world and its characters are evolving through the series. Number of your decisions affect the said world and you can see a decision from the first game have an impact in the second and/or in the third one.

There are good videos on YT about the lore of DA should you decide to skip the first games but still want to know what is what.

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:
@putaspongeon said:

This, Dragon Age Origins was and still is one of the nicest done RPGs to this day. You're not doing yourself any favors by not playing it TC.

I am not the one asking about the series, I was simply Answering a question. If I missed out then oh well, you dont need to tell me about it, tell the OP how good Origins is.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@jcopp72 said:
@BattleSpectre said:
@putaspongeon said:

I am not the one asking about the series, I was simply Answering a question. If I missed out then oh well, you dont need to tell me about it, tell the OP how good Origins is.

You misunderstood me mate, I was agreeing with the comment that was made and aiming this towards the TC. Here have a cookie for your troubles =].

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

You don't really have to. The Dragon Age Keep website does a really good job of going over the story from the first two games, while allowing you to make decisions that you can then import into Dragon Age Inquisition before starting a new game.

That being said, both Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age 2 are very good games, with very good stories. They can easily be found for $5 used or around $15 new. So I would definitely recommend picking them up, and playing through them.

witherorwither

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 witherorwither
Member since 2020 • 1 Posts

@GeorgeOglee: I have to strongly disagree about Mass Effect, I have played the trilogy a lot of times already and I can tell you that I had to play Mass Effect 1 while playing Mass Effect 3 again because it had a consequence I didn't like. There are also dialogues that you won't see, relationships you won't create, weapons you won't unlock, allies that die because of a decision you made or something that you didn't do in the previous game, and I don't mean just the main missions but the side missions and loyalty missions, they also give more about the game. This forum mentions about 3 time that Mass Effect isn't like DA https://www.giantbomb.com/dragon-age-inquisition/3030-35398/forums/do-i-need-to-play-the-first-two-games-before-inqui-1499316/

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Play the other two and skip inquisition entirely.