Do I need to play prev. AC games to enjoy AC: Black Flag?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nagrom102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Nagrom102
Member since 2005 • 30 Posts

I know its a new character and story but do I need to play any of the previous releases to fully enjoy this game? I have played AC 1 through to the Brotherhood, but have not played Revelations or anything thereafter.

I haven't gamed in quite some time and I plan on buying an expensive PC gaming rig soon, with a 1440p monitor. I heard Black Flag is probably the best since Ezio was around so I thought this would be the game I would choose, even though its from 2013.

Let me know, thanks.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Not at all. I find the stories of all the Assassin's Creed games forgettable. I'm always going in blind when I play a new one but I still enjoy it...if that makes any sense. Black Flag was the most fun for me.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Not at all.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

The story kind of goes to shit at the end of III, so IV takes it in an entirely new direction.

It would be entirely unnecessary to play any other AC game before IV. However, if you had picked Revelations or III, I would say yes, it is incredibly necessary.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Nah definitely not. I never played much of the earlier AC games or really liked them for that matter... but I loved Black Flag. The best game in the series by a long way (probably because it doesn't really feel like an AC game for most of the time).

Nagrom102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Nagrom102

Awesome thanks guys. They are very repetitive games but I do enjoy them nonetheless.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Best part of black flag is the DLC where you play as a black dude. Out of everything I've played in that game the beginning of that with the storm you have too deal with, it was literally the only thing I came out going damn, now that was memorable. After that and the gameplay and quests started. I lost all interest in caring about what, why, or how as it's boring and generic as ****.

That storm though... Damn was it impressive.

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 garywood69
Member since 2013 • 518 Posts

Nope. Black flag was the first I'd played properly. Before that I'd played about 10 mins of AC2, that was it.

Xanatos357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#9 Xanatos357
Member since 2015 • 787 Posts

Black flag is a good entry point because this is basically when they started to throw out all of the Desmond storyline. If you want to start here that's fine, but I would totally recommended playing the Ezio trilogy, it is the golden days of the series.

phoenix5352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 phoenix5352
Member since 2011 • 387 Posts

play them only of you want to know how ezio's story ended !

Nagrom102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nagrom102

Well I'm afraid if I play AC Revelations and whatever else came before Black Flag that by the time I make it to Black Flag I'll be tired of the series and won't want to play it. And since I haven't gamed in quite some time I really have no interest in finishing the Ezio story.

watchdogsrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#12 watchdogsrules
Member since 2014 • 551 Posts

no, ac4 was my second ac game (first was ac3)

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#13 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

Black Flag was awesome. My first AC game so I didn't know the background for the previous games story and it was perfectly fine.

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14  Edited By Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

No, don't worry about it. The over arching AC story isn't that good anyway, and the "in animus" Kenway story is pretty clear without any additional story.

I just got it free with XBL Gold and it's a solid title, better than Unity for sure.

Nagrom102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Nagrom102

Yeah I heard some of the recent releases have been mediocre so I think Black Flag will be my last AC game to play, at least until a new story comes out and its solid.

BoomPains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BoomPains
Member since 2014 • 70 Posts

Black Flag is one of the best A.C story that I've played even I already played the A.C Unity. So for me its a NAH :)

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@Nagrom102 said:

Well I'm afraid if I play AC Revelations and whatever else came before Black Flag that by the time I make it to Black Flag I'll be tired of the series and won't want to play it. And since I haven't gamed in quite some time I really have no interest in finishing the Ezio story.

Yeah, I'd just play Black Flag. The game would have been more enjoyable for me if half of it wasn't just more of the same game Ubisoft makes every year.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#18 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

The story kind of goes to shit at the end of III, so IV takes it in an entirely new direction.

It would be entirely unnecessary to play any other AC game before IV. However, if you had picked Revelations or III, I would say yes, it is incredibly necessary.

BoomPains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BoomPains
Member since 2014 • 70 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:
@Nagrom102 said:

Yeah, I'd just play Black Flag. The game would have been more enjoyable for me if half of it wasn't just more of the same game Ubisoft makes every year.

Well everyone has their own taste, we all know that each Ubisoft games have similarities when it comes to game's system, interface and other aspects. Well, its their signature i guess.

ayanami000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ayanami000
Member since 2015 • 125 Posts

it depends on you if you want to know the first story of AC.