Do Gamegear games work on the Sega master system?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tony-Baxter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Tony-Baxter
Member since 2003 • 6498 Posts
I've always wondered this.
Avatar image for JannettyTRocker
JannettyTRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 JannettyTRocker
Member since 2006 • 1160 Posts

No. While Gamegear games are basically portable Mastersystem games, they come in much smaller cartridges & there's no designated slots to allow Gamegear games to work on a Mastersystem. So, the answer would be no.

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

No.

Game Gear carts are a fraction of the size of Master System ones.

Plus, the Game Gear has a larger colour palette than the Master System (and even the Mega Drive), so an adapter to allow it was never really possible.

kit352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 kit352
Member since 2008 • 592 Posts
the reverse is true however with the master system adaptor.
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

thats like saying do gameboy games work on the nes..... the answer is no. gamegear basically was released after the SMS was dead. by then they were only making Genesis (megadrive) games and gamegear games.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#7 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

thats like saying do gameboy games work on the nes..... the answer is no. gamegear basically was released after the SMS was dead. by then they were only making Genesis (megadrive) games and gamegear games.

Talldude80
maybe dead where you live, not here, it was still alive here until the mid 90s, most games you know on the Game Gear were released on the Master System, sometimes first too. at any rate, no , it is not possible to play Game Gear games on the Master System , even if there was an adapter, the Game Gear has some colour pallete differences to the Master System which would make them incompatible. however, Master System games will work on the Game Gear with an adapter, since the GG is compaible with the SMS' colour pallete (just not the other way around)
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Darkman2007

and no, it is nothing like the Gameboy and the NES, the GB and NES have a different processor as well as different display hardware , wheres the SMS and GG are the same machine other then some colour pallete differences

seriously, the first rule to giving information is to know what youre talking about :P

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

and no, it is nothing like the Gameboy and the NES, the GB and NES have a different processor as well as different display hardware , wheres the SMS and GG are the same machine other then some colour pallete differences

seriously, the first rule to giving information is to know what youre talking about :P

Darkman2007

well think about the release dates. when did the GB come out? AFTER the NES. When did the Gamegear come out? WAY after the SMS. It's similar because the NES obviously used the technology available when it came out. same witht he SMS. They would have needed to be able to predict the future to make it forward-compatible. If Gamegear games worked on the SMS. then they wouldnt be gamegear games. they would be sms games.Thats what I'm talking about. of course I know the GB is black and white and not the same processor as the nes (gb is like 4bit and the nes is 8bit). so yeah maybe it was a bad analogy, but still....i know many GG games are ports of SMS games. and besides the shape of the carts is totally different too. so yeah, I know what I'm talking about.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Talldude80

well think about the release dates. when did the GB come out? AFTER the NES. When did the Gamegear come out? WAY after the SMS. It's similar because the NES obviously used the technology available when it came out. same witht he SMS. They would have needed to be able to predict the future to make it forward-compatible. If Gamegear games worked on the SMS. then they wouldnt be gamegear games. they would be sms games.Thats what I'm talking about. of course I know the GB is black and white and not the same processor as the nes (gb is like 4bit and the nes is 8bit). so yeah maybe it was a bad analogy, but still....i know many GG games are ports of SMS games. and besides the shape of the carts is totally different too. so yeah, I know what I'm talking about.

no , again there are several flaws and inaccuracies in what you said. first of all , the the time difference between the NES and GB is bigger then between the SMS and GG. the NES first came out on in Japan in 1983 while the gameboy came out in 1989 the SMS came out in 1985 , while the GG came out in 1990, though thats all not that important. 2nd....the GB is 4bit?? what the heck are you talking about?, its an 8bit CPU , just a different make then the NES , meaning they are incompatible and a completly different situation. shape of the cartridges means nothing, they could have made an adapter, just like they did with the Mega Drive which had the Z80 already in it , both as a co processor and for backwards compatibility. the same could have been technically done with the SMS, but due to the fact the GG has some colour pallete differences, and so technically it would be incompatible due to that, but unlike the GB where the hardware is totally different from the NES the reason the Gamegear is compatible with Master System games, is due to the fact it has a larger maximum colour pallete. "if gamegear games worked on a master system, they wouldnt be gamegear games" what a load of rubbish , if GBA games work on the Gamecube (as they do with an adapter), are they suddenly Gamecube games? no they are not. or how about the Super Gameboy? are you telling me any GB game played on that is suddenly a SNES game? what a silly thing to suggest. a game is for a certain system regardless of where you play it, its just that sometimes there are more ways to play a game then on its native system. the simple fact is, Nintendo made a completly new system for their handheld, wheres Sega used their existing technology, allowing for a link between the console and the portable systems. of course that did bite them in the backside because it wasn't as cost effective (along with the colour screen), but that is a different matter. naa, you still don't know what youre talking about :P .
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#11 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

absolutely not lol ,

if that were true then u would be able to play master system games on genesis lol without some adapter i dont know if they even made that , so