Do Dreamcasts break easily?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

urazelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 urazelda
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

I just picked up a Dreamcast from the store, but I returned it since it would not read discs correctly. Yeah, I know I can fix it myself, but I just bought it. So do they have lots of problems nowadays?

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

They don't break easy, but they do can have laser issues. The system doesn't have the best of laser drives.

Problem is most people use burnt cds, which wear down the laser faster than original discs.

Also, the A/V entry tends to wear down as well for some reason. In some cases it might cause the VGA mode to not work.

Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Another48hours
Member since 2012 • 1970 Posts

They don't break easy, but they do can have laser issues. The system doesn't have the best of laser drives.

Problem is most people use burnt cds, which wear down the laser faster than original discs.

Also, the A/V entry tends to wear down as well for some reason. In some cases it might cause the VGA mode to not work.

Panzer_Zwei

Unless you get that special edition Dreamcast where the Laser is fine, but man the disc spinner breaks easily if dropped.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#4 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

Panzer_Zwei

yes Ive noticed the VGA port is faulty on my DC , if you so much as breath on the thing, the picture starts becoming garbled or changes colour.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

It's funny you posted this thread now, because my Dreamcast is currently on its way out. . .maybe. Like yours my Dreamcast likes to read some games, but hates others that used to play fine on it, regardless of the disk's condition. I was going to try the laser calibration fix, but I lack a pair of needle-pliers to adjust the adjustment nob on the laser. Hopefully it'll do the trick.

But if this Dremacast does end up breaking on me, it'll be my second Dreamcast that has died on me. I love the system to death, but I believe it's hardware is not the most reliable.

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

As others have said, their laser readers do tend to give out. However, how much you play the system is bound to have a significant impact. Some of the guys I know who have worn out systems were addicted to Phantasy Star Online and had 1000+ hours in that title alone. On my original system, I played my fill of games such as Sonic Adventure and Skies of Arcadia with no system problems.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
I had mine since launch never had a problem. I used to play it a lot and use home brew games
arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

I've never had a problem with my Dreamcasts. I take great care of my systems, and I know it isn't always the owners fault for problems, so I also consider myself pretty lucky, because I've had like 30 or so systems in my life and I've never had an issue with a single one of them, not even the infamous DRE of the PS2. For every system I own now, which is a PS3, Wii, 360, 3DS, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, N64, PS1 and a Dreamcast, I also have a brand new backup of each stored in my closet that has never been used before. I bought them all as back ups in case any of my systems were to ever die, but thankfully they haven't. *Knock on wood* If any of my systems were to break, I would probably go out and get a used replacement to replace it with, because I've been holding onto some of these new consoles in their original boxes for a long time, and I kind of want to keep them that way as collector's items.

Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Dariency
Member since 2003 • 9464 Posts

I've had my Dreamcast for about 10 years, still runs fine though it sometimes sits for a while.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

They're certainly more reliable than PS2s. I've never had to replace my Dreamcast, but I've had to replace my PS2, twice.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts
I've had a dreamcast for nearly 8 years. It works just fine. :)
Avatar image for RumblSmoothSkin
RumblSmoothSkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RumblSmoothSkin
Member since 2011 • 41 Posts
Treat your tools like your friend...never let them down...and their always by your side.
urazelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 urazelda
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

So I'm guessing I was just unlucky, right?

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

So I'm guessing I was just unlucky, right?

urazelda

No you're not. I've seen a whole lot of busted DCs, just like other systems.

You did the right thing returning it. You shouldn't have to repair yourself a system you've just bought. Even if you did, I don't think its life expectancy would be that good anyway.

Get a functional one, then if in time the laser wears down, adjust it.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

the scart entry and controller ports are a bit faulty and the laser wears down over time but it's best to no play cd'rs en even with all that my current dreamcast is 10 years old and very much used and since a few days the vga doesn't work anymore. fortunately I have another dc always ready.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bultje112

They're certainly more reliable than PS2s. I've never had to replace my Dreamcast, but I've had to replace my PS2, twice.

Emerald_Warrior

yes. the ps2 is quite troublesome as well as the xbox and current gen consoles. the most reliable is no doubt the saturn. it's like a tank and very good hardware. only the cartridge port is sensitive and again av port.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 arkephonic

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

bultje112

yes. the ps2 is quite troublesome as well as the xbox and current gen consoles. the most reliable is no doubt the saturn. it's like a tank and very good hardware. only the cartridge port is sensitive and again av port.

I would argue that the Gamecube is the most reliable disc based console, while the N64 is the most reliable console overall.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bultje112

n64 I'd say no. my n64 doesn't read cartridges half of the time and one of my friends actually broke. gamecube seems very sturdy indeed

BoSoxIdiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BoSoxIdiot
Member since 2012 • 183 Posts
I have never had a problem with my Dreamcast.
Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Bubble_Man

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

arkephonic

I would argue that the Gamecube is the most reliable disc based console, while the N64 is the most reliable console overall.

Nintendo certainly has made sturdy hardware over the years. That's a real blessing for collectors. :)

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bultje112

how would you know? I know of quite some people who had their nes broke and snes.

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Bubble_Man

how would you know? I know of quite some people who had their nes broke and snes.

bultje112

I would know from personal experience, the shared experience of others, and basic observation. Keep in mind that the original NES was Nintendo's first console and they were marketed as a toy toward kids who abused the heck out of them. The fact that there are so many working NES consoles after this many years is a testament to how tough they are. Those that were taken excellent care of (only played with games that have clean connectors, covered when not in use) can even still work without any defects. After learning from the NES, Nintendo did an even better job of making the SNES. There are way more working N64s than PS1s and I hear a lot more about broken PS2s and xboxes than gamecubes. To even question something so obvious as the durability of Nintendo's past systems is outrightludicrous.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bultje112

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

Bubble_Man

I would know from personal experience, the shared experience of others, and basic observation. Keep in mind that the original NES was Nintendo's first console and they were marketed as a toy toward kids who abused the heck out of them. The fact that there are so many working NES consoles after this many years is a testament to how tough they are. Those that were taken excellent care of (only played with games that have clean connectors, covered when not in use) can even still work without any defects. After learning from the NES, Nintendo did an even better job of making the SNES. There are way more working N64s than PS1s and I hear a lot more about broken PS2s and xboxes than gamecubes. To even question something so obvious as the durability of Nintendo's past systems is outrightludicrous.

ok so you have absolutely no prove or anything. I could just go here and say the complete opposite and I would just be as (un)believable

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Bubble_Man

[QUOTE="Bubble_Man"]

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

bultje112

ok so you have absolutely no prove or anything. I could just go here and say the complete opposite and I would just be as (un)believable

Very well, I shall address the 2 things you put in bold.

Here is some proof for the superior durability of the gamecube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioWnoOjP9IA

As for my comment about N64 consoles being tougher than PS1 consoles, that's really just common sense. Disc-based systems have moving parts that wear out eventually.

I have provided a video of an objective experiment from a well-known source for the 1st sentence you brought to my attention. I have provided sound logic for the 2nd. Furthermore, I am quite confident that you cannot do the same supporting the contrary. As this is not system wars, I am now finished discussing it whether you reply or not.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Emerald_Warrior

Ok, let me start off with a disclaimer first: PS1 was my favorite console that generation, with the Saturn being 2nd, and finally the N64 in third. So I'm not an N64 fanboy.

That said, he's right. N64 was faaaarrrr more reliable than the PS1, and for the exactly reason he stated: N64 has no moving parts, all disc-based consoles, on the other hand, WILL eventually wear out if played, no matter how well they're taken care of because they have moving parts.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 arkephonic

Here is some proof for the superior durability of the gamecube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioWnoOjP9IA

As for my comment about N64 consoles being tougher than PS1 consoles, that's really just common sense. Disc-based systems have moving parts that wear out eventually.

I have provided a video of an objective experiment from a well-known source for the 1st sentence you brought to my attention. I have provided sound logic for the 2nd. Furthermore, I am quite confident that you cannot do the same supporting the contrary. As this is not system wars, I am now finished discussing it whether you reply or not.

Bubble_Man

Nice video! I hadn't seen that one yet!

One of the main reasons I hold the Gamecube in such high regard is because one time I was at a New Years Party, and my friend kicked a Gamecube as hard as he could into a wall while it was powered on playing Simpson's Road Rage, and the game literally didn't even skip. I was shocked!

Here is a video of the current gen consoles being put to the test!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3-PwYuYz9k

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

arkephonic

I actually managed to get DRE on my Gamecube.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 arkephonic

[QUOTE="arkephonic"]

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

hakanakumono

How many times did you have to hit it with a sledge hammer to achieve that? :)

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="arkephonic"]

arkephonic

How many times did you have to hit it with a sledge hammer to achieve that? :)

I don't think that's what causes DRE lol. I actually got my Gamecube DRE while playing Metroid Prime, switched to my PS2 and the PS2 got DRE. Unlike the first time, I had to pay for it.

Those were the only two systems I owned at the time.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bultje112

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

[QUOTE="Bubble_Man"]

Bubble_Man

how about nes and snes then? how are they more reliable than master system or megadrive? I agree gamecube is incredibly reliable system in my experience.

PrimeNerdity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PrimeNerdity
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Old games break? I still have a Dreamcast, Play Station 1 (the big box) and Play Station 2 (also the big one) hooked up and they all work just fine. My 360 died in only 4 years though. PNerd
Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Aero5555
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts

I recall how paranoid my cousin would get about my handling of Dreamcast discs and how not to scratch them. Dreamcasts are the BMWs of the gaming industry.

Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Another48hours
Member since 2012 • 1970 Posts

Ok, let me start off with a disclaimer first: PS1 was my favorite console that generation, with the Saturn being 2nd, and finally the N64 in third. So I'm not an N64 fanboy.

That said, he's right. N64 was faaaarrrr more reliable than the PS1, and for the exactly reason he stated: N64 has no moving parts, all disc-based consoles, on the other hand, WILL eventually wear out if played, no matter how well they're taken care of because they have moving parts.

Emerald_Warrior
LIES! My Action Max still works!!!!
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Emerald_Warrior

Another48hours

Action Max?

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#35 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

[QUOTE="Another48hours"][QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

Emerald_Warrior

Action Max?

I think it was a late 80s console that used VHS tapes to play games, very rare.