Do collectible items sometimes take you out of the immersion in games?

Maxpowers_32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Maxpowers_32
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts

I've been playing Jedi Fallen Order and these boxes really bother me. The moment when it really pulled me out of the story is when I was fleeing an area and supposed to hurry, but remembered an area I didn't explore so I stopped fleeing to go back to it. I was hoping to find a force echo but instead there's this crate sitting on the edge of a cliff in the middle on nowhere with a different poncho color inside.

It just doesn't seem realistic to me that someone would leave these crates all over with these items in them.

With the ridler trophies in the Batman games at least there was a reason for them. Here I'm finding these crates with character customization in them with no reason. Does that bother anyone else?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

Do collectible items sometime take you out of the immersion in games?

Nope, experiencing a game as your first playthrough with as much mystery as possible, is creators intent for immersion.

Collectables are hidden secrets. If you play blind will unlikely find most (any) of them that have an impact on your run.

If you play with a guide? you've already broken the immersion the world sets out to achieve anyway. And if you are searching each crack of a map? you are already trying to break immersion as well. So it is entirely on the player.

And on that note anything past a first playthrough to me is open ground to go crazy. Keeping the game exciting for further play. If they drop enemies from the sky and give us a Hot Dogger Knife on future playthroughs; I'm game!

Maxpowers_32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Maxpowers_32

@RSM-HQ said:

Do collectible items sometime take you out of the immersion in games?

Nope, experiencing a game as your first playthrough with as much mystery as possible, is creators intent for immersion.

Collectables are hidden secrets. If you play blind will unlikely find most (any) of them that have an impact on your run.

If you play with a guide? you've already broken the immersion the world sets out to achieve anyway. And if you are searching each crack of a map? you are already trying to break immersion as well. So it is entirely on the player.

And on that note anything past a first playthrough to me is open ground to go crazy. Keeping the game exciting for further play. If they drop enemies from the sky and give us a Hot Dogger Knife on future playthroughs; I'm game!

No, I don't play with a guide in these games. I just happened to remember an area I couldn't pass until I got an ability and went back there. What knocked me out of the immersion was going out of my way for a poncho. It just didn't seem like something that would be in a container there.

Another time was swimming underwater and seeing these containers that have different colors for the ship. I really don't care about these things, but do want to find thing that give me more xp or life/force power. I also do like exploring environments so I come across these crates all the time and just find them annoying.

In Zelda BOTW they have these korok seeds and those I enjoy since they do something that helps your character and they're explained in the game.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

The thing with Fallen Order and it's boxes is that most of them are useless cosmetic junk. Besides the health upgrades most everything else is a waste.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

No, something like that never bothers me in that aspect.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I actually just started playing Jedi Fallen Order today. I see where you're coming from but I usually just view collectibles as part of the exploration (e.g. you're searching for the Vault in Bogano and in doing so come across various clues, echos, crates, etc.).

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#7 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts
@Maxpowers_32 said:

No, I don't play with a guide in these games. I just happened to remember an area I couldn't pass until I got an ability and went back there. What knocked me out of the immersion was going out of my way for a poncho. It just didn't seem like something that would be in a container there.

Another time was swimming underwater and seeing these containers that have different colors for the ship. I really don't care about these things, but do want to find thing that give me more xp or life/force power. I also do like exploring environments so I come across these crates all the time and just find them annoying.

Played some Fallen Order myself and gotta say Star Wars was always a goofy universe anyway about space wizards.

I don't think ponchos and colorful ships is really going to break a franchise that has chibi bears killing trained soldiers in advance armor, with sticks.

Maxpowers_32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Maxpowers_32

@johnd13 said:

I actually just started playing Jedi Fallen Order today. I see where you're coming from but I usually just view collectibles as part of the exploration (e.g. you're searching for the Vault in Bogano and in doing so come across various clues, echos, crates, etc.).

I really like the echos and little easter eggs. That's what makes exploring fun! To me the ones that are great are when they fit in with the story such as the echos. Having these crates stuffed into these obscure places kind of breaks the illusion of the universe when I'm playing.

Obviously this is not a huge deal and I'm really enjoying the game overall. Guess it's just me that's annoyed by this.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7231 Posts

I need to get to fallen Order my problem is when devs try to tell the story through audio logs.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

Not at all and this is something that never bothers me.

Maxpowers_32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Maxpowers_32

@robert_sparkes said:

I need to get to fallen Order my problem is when devs try to tell the story through audio logs.

That's something that's "ok" if done in very small doses in my opinion. For example the Bioshock audio logs didn't bother me at all

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Yeah. Whatever amount devs want to add to a game, they should go with 20% of that amount. They would be more meaningful and I wouldn't feel like a janitor.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

No

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#14 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Nah, I generally prefer it. Gets you exploring every nook and cranny. More bang for your buck that way I feel. :)