Dinosaurous Illteratisaurous Needs Help Getting Started w/ BF II Or I'm A Fossil

This topic is locked from further discussion.

merlinthecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 merlinthecat
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Dinosaurous Online Gaming Illteratisaurous

Can/Will Someone Please Help Me answer the few questions about getting started playing BattleField II online and a Decent Game Controller???  My questions are in paragraph 4 & 5 below?  I am an online gaming illiterate and am seeking help to educate myself.  The following two paragraphs are some background on myself so you have an idea as to my level of experience!

When I was with the U.S. Coast Guard we didn't get Windows 3.1 and Office until 1997 (by then the software was obsolete but it was new to us).  Back then the Coast Guard was part of the Department of Transportation so we had to compete with AMTRACK for funding and we didn't get much.  That was my first real experience with computers.  Since then most every thing I know about computers was self taught.  Unfortunately I also missed out on the Home Gaming system experience like the "XBox" and similar systems so I'm way behind the Eight Ball when it comes to gaming.

Anyway, that's a little background info on me.  I am now gainfully retired and I own a top of the line fast PC with duel-core processors, two large hard drives, massive amounts of RAM and a 5 Mbps Internet connection. I bought the PC version of Battle Field II with the intention of using it as a first person game to play occasionally at home, myself against the game; I soon discovered the game is not much for that.  It is designed pretty much specifically for online gaming.  So I know how to use Windows and the Internet but know absolutely nothing about online gaming.

Can someone tell me of a few sights I can go to find someone playing BattleField II (preferably a site/s with a beginners level if such a thing exists)?  Is there a membership fee to access/utilize these sites to game play?  Does GameSpot have such capability?  Once I get to the sight/s is it pretty straight forward on how to get set up as a new player, if not can someone please advise me of how to get through any of the difficult processes?  Once set up as a player, how do I begin playing or enter into an ongoing game?  How do I determine which ongoing game is the best for me to enter considering my beginner status, are there things to look for so I can find a game session that may be more suited for a beginner?  Once in the game can someone give me a couple of basic simple strategies that would help me survive for more than a few minutes of beginning game play?  Is a 5 Mbps connection fast enough to even survive for more than 10 minutes in an online game of BattleField II???  Where I live, Astoria, Oregon, it's the fastest connection speed available to me but I've heard that there are services in some of the bigger metropolitan areas that run at 10 Mbps.  Would I even be competitive playing at 5 Mbps if someone else is playing at 10 Mbps??

I bought the game in PC format because I don't have any of the gaming boxes, could someone recommend a game controller that's fairly straight forward to use and more compatible to the type of game I have; one that has good controller functions that cross over well to the game movements required of my specific game?  After 2 and a half decades as an Engineer in the Coast Guard my hands aren't as flexible as they used to be and I have arthritis pretty bad in both hands, needless to say they're pretty beat up so using the computer key board to play the game is difficult for me.  That's why I'm looking for a controller that's as easy to manipulate as possible.  Your suggestions and experience would be really appreciated!

I'd love to start playing but I need some easy instructions on how to get started playing Battlefield II online and how to use the game when I do get in an online gaming scenario.  Any help you Online Gamers could give me would be greatly appreciated; who knows, with your help, someday I may even gain some experience and give you a match from a worthy opponent or be a significant asset in one of your conflicts?

Ambitious to put down the Enemy put don't know how to load my Weapon!

With humility and gratitude, thanks for any help you considerate gamers can offer me!

Jon  :question: