Difficulty of Portal

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vespuche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 vespuche
Member since 2007 • 1078 Posts

Interested in buying and playing Portal. I am not the best puzzle solver. I really don't want to have to go to YouTube to find solutions.

Curious how hard Portal was for you guys? Did you get stuck at all?

How intuitive are the puzzles?

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#2 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

It's been a long time since I played through it, but it's the good kind of puzzles, where everything feels really intuitive and clever. From what I remember.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58390 Posts

They can be challenging but never frustrating. Usually when you can't solve a puzzle, it means you need to walk away from it for a bit and come back and then you'll be like "Of course! It's so obvious, now!"

Remember they give you hints on the wall before each test of what they expect and don't expect of you, i.e. there's lasers here, evil water, and jumping far will be involved

Shrek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Shrek
Member since 2015 • 387 Posts

@vespuche: by "intuitive" you mean "dumbed down"

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

I got stuck a couple of times, but by and large the game is very logical, the solutions are not convoluted and unreasonable. Some levels do require quite a bit of reflexes and coordination though.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#6 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

Few of them were quite difficult for me especially in the first Portal in the late portion of the game. The second Portal was way easier for me.

I remember in the first one there is a level where you had to coordinate some laser in order to make some platform move at the right time to get accross a pit of acid. It was something.

I also did prefer the first Portal for offering time trial and max number of portal for almost all level. When you have to use max 6 portal to finish a level you need to go straight to the point ... or if you have only a few second you have to act quickly. It was super fun for me.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#7 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

I remember getting stuck a couple times, but never in a bad way. Portal represents top class in the puzzle game genre, very few do what they do better.