Did You Back Shenmue 3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1 gamespot
Member since 2003 • 901308 Posts

Shenmue creator Yu Suzuki has said he may prioritize storytelling over visual presentation for Shenmue 3, suggesting he doesn't currently have enough development funds to deliver a visually "gorgeous" experience.

"I could do with a bit more money," he said. "The game itself doesn't have to be gorgeous visually - a lot of the money these days goes into the graphics. If we perhaps compromise on the graphics and put more into the story, we can make a good game. The most important thing, to me is that the game's interesting, and that it's something people want to play."

Although the crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter has closed, the studio is still taking donations through Paypal as part of a Slacker Backer program.

Did you back Shenmue 3?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55898 Posts

Nope, I didn't back Shenmue 3 and the only game I'm backing up is Star Citizen. If they want more money, go ask Sony.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

Nope. That game does not interest me in the slightest.

Longclaw360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Longclaw360
Member since 2015 • 115 Posts

No. I played the first Shenmue and it was one of the most boring game experiences that I ever had in my life. I have absolutely no interest in Shenmue 3 and would not even play it if it was given to me for free.

yukushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 yukushi
Member since 2011 • 2368 Posts

I will support the game by buying it when its released but I dont believe in backing games this way if you are want money go look for investors thats how business is done.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21695 Posts

Yup, I've backed this and Bloodstained.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
@loafofgame said:

Nope. That game does not interest me in the slightest.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43988 Posts

Nope but I may buy it if it comes out on the Xbox One.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#9 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

No. I've never played any of the Shenmue games, so I have no investment in this one.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#10 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49565 Posts

Nope.

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#11 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

No. I didn't back Shenmu 1 or the Dreamcast.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Absolutely. Shenmue 1 and 2 were among my favorite games. I even imported Shenmue 2 from the UK when the US release got cancelled and spent hours transferring my clear save off of my Dreamcast onto a PC, hex editing the region flag to match the UK version, then re-importing it onto my VMU just so I could keep my clear save data and all my money.

Although, of course, you get robbed in the first five minutes off the boat and lose all your cash in Shenmue 2.

-Byshop

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#13  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11655 Posts

I'm afraid not, I've never played either of the older games so don't believe it would be sensible.

The last game I helped in KickStarter was Bloodstained.

rigo8582

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rigo8582
Member since 2014 • 38 Posts

I backed it. Got 3 copies of it.

Zemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zemus
Member since 2003 • 9304 Posts

Nope. No interest and knowing the Wasted money and budget on Shenmue 2 there is no way imo this game will be realized without Sony willing to fund a LOT MORE.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#16  Edited By deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

I played Shenmue 1 on the Dreamcast but this is pretty much it. I was bummed that we didn't have a proper ending ... so I lost interest pretty fast. I also don't beleive it is a great idea to back a game ... we saw way too much people not getting anything after putting money into something ...

retrofan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 retrofan
Member since 2015 • 6 Posts

I backed Shenmue 3, simply because I found Shenmue 1 and 2 to be the most ground-breaking games ever, and a very unique experience. It may not be for everyone, but for many, it was simply incredible.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

Never played the others, so obviously not... All the excitement I saw when it was announced and how quickly it was getting funded makes me want to play them, but there isn't really an easy/cheap way to do that at this point.

RaiZdbyDINGOES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RaiZdbyDINGOES
Member since 2013 • 36 Posts

Yep. Loved the first 2. I have never really backed a Kickstarter. Only ever backed 2 of them. Shenmue 3 and Elysian shadows

SquallAdv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SquallAdv
Member since 2006 • 26 Posts

Of course, best game ever, especially Shenmue II, more than a game, it was a life-changing experience, at least for me.

raidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 raidus
Member since 2004 • 30 Posts

Yep, I'm supporting the game, Played the 1st and 2nd on the Dreamcast was enjoyable and totaly diffent thant the other games of the time especially the 2nd. Hopefully we will be finishing the saga soon

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Yes, of course I did. I'm not a monster.

Avatar image for happycamper1979
HappyCamper1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HappyCamper1979
Member since 2015 • 226 Posts

@longclaw360: I couldn't agree with you more.

lordransolaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lordransolaire
Member since 2015 • 46 Posts

I refuse to back a game that should have happened over a decade ago. Thanks, but no thanks.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

I never back anything on Kickstarter for the sake that I don't really like gambling money away.

BSAA_Chris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BSAA_Chris
Member since 2015 • 78 Posts

Never backed anything on Kickstarter in my life but as of this post at 2231hrs (GMT +0800) I checked Japan for fun; 100%!?!

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

Nope, but then I never owned a Dreamcast either..... and haven't played this series. Not to mention, Yakuza pretty much has been said to be Shenmue's successor game. Though, I wouldn't give money to localize the missing Yakuza games, either.... They should be getting plenty of money from doing that on their own. Not my fault that Sega is too dumb in not localizing their games. It's not like they dub the VA for them, either..... So beats me what the hangups are.

As for the Shenmue series.... why haven't they done a remastered version of the first 2 to the Playstation 3/4, first? Wouldn't that be the easier thing to do, to get funding for the 3rd one?

Avatar image for deactivated-57d773aa56272
deactivated-57d773aa56272

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deactivated-57d773aa56272
Member since 2006 • 2292 Posts

No, while I did enjoy the first game, and did play the second one - I just don't care that much about what happens to Ryo. I understand that it was groundbreaking, but to resurrect this would be like necroing the oldest post just to do it. Besides, with personalities like Keiji Inafune going into business with the Chinese - I'm just dubious of this whole thing. If the game wasn't good enough to get a major studio, why the hell should fans pay up front for this? It's all fishy. I love EQ, I love Brad McQuaid because he worked on it. But did I donate to Pantheon's KS? Hell no! I'm sorry but I just don't have that faith, especially with art.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

I don't back anything because I don't like being scammed. I love Shenmue and Shenmue 3 was one of my dream games but Kotaku and Ben Kuchera have poisoned the well too much for this game to receive enough backing for them to be able to create something of quality close to current gen standards like the series deserves. If I had money to waste I would have donated a few thousands though.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Byshop  Moderator

@Gue1 said:

I don't back anything because I don't like being scammed. I love Shenmue and Shenmue 3 was one of my dream games but Kotaku and Ben Kuchera have poisoned the well too much for this game to receive enough backing for them to be able to create something of quality close to current gen standards like the series deserves. If I had money to waste I would have donated a few thousands though.

Yeah, I think it's sad that this game didn't get the backing it should have with the rampant disinformation that everyone seems to have bought into. Still, although I doubt it'll be the groundbreaking leap forward that the earlier games were I would be happy with a comptetent end to the story.

-Byshop

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Renegade_Fury

@Byshop said:
@Gue1 said:

Yeah, I think it's sad that this game didn't get the backing it should have with the rampant disinformation that everyone seems to have bought into. Still, although I doubt it'll be the groundbreaking leap forward that the earlier games were I would be happy with a comptetent end to the story.

-Byshop

It's not going to end the story though, so there's going to at least be a Shenmue IV and maybe V.

Maybe the sequels will get better funding through more traditional means, but I don't think its the technical aspects of Shenmue that fans really care much about anyway.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Byshop  Moderator

@Renegade_Fury said:

It's not going to end the story though, so there's going to at least be a Shenmue IV and maybe V.

What information is that based on?

-Byshop

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@Byshop said:
@Renegade_Fury said:

What information is that based on?

-Byshop

By Shenmue's story outline, which are 11 chapters that are split up by having one take place per region. Going by the latest that we know, it doesn't seem that chapter 2 (which originally was a manga and took place on the boat to Hong Kong) is canon anymore, so we're only up through chapter 4. It isn't realistic that Yu Suzuki is going to break down the next 7 into the three regions of Shenmue III even if he's streamlining, and he's given the impression that there will be more after this game from his multiple interviews.

Oh, and here's a link too http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/22/shenmue-creator-wants-to-make-shenmue-4

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Byshop  Moderator

@Renegade_Fury said:

By Shenmue's story outline, which are 11 chapters that are split up by having one take place per region. Going by the latest that we know, it doesn't seem that chapter 2 (which originally was a manga and took place on the boat to Hong Kong) is canon anymore, so we're only up through chapter 4. It isn't realistic that Yu Suzuki is going to break down the next 7 into the three regions of Shenmue III even if he's streamlining, and he's given the impression that there will be more after this game from his multiple interviews.

Oh, and here's a link too http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/22/shenmue-creator-wants-to-make-shenmue-4

Sigh.

Well, I'll settle for a bit more closure than either Shenmue 1 or 2 provided then. Thanks for the info.

-Byshop

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Renegade_Fury

@Byshop: No problem. As long as Shenmue III turns out well, we'll get the conclusion eventually. :P

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Byshop  Moderator

@Renegade_Fury said:

@Byshop: No problem. As long as Shenmue III turns out well, we'll get the conclusion eventually. :P

I would mind more games in the series, but one thing at a time. Shenmue III doesn't even exist yet except as a concept.

On that topic, the series that's regarded as a spiratual successor to Shenmue, Yakuza, has had five primary installments and nearly half a dozen spinoff games and the series is still going strong with a sixth installment of the main game on its way. That series hasn't exactly diminished from having too many installments, although each volume is a fully contained story.

-Byshop

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Renegade_Fury

@Byshop said:
@Renegade_Fury said:

I would mind more games in the series, but one thing at a time. Shenmue III doesn't even exist yet except as a concept.

On that topic, the series that's regarded as a spiratual successor to Shenmue, Yakuza, has had five primary installments and nearly half a dozen spinoff games and the series is still going strong with a sixth installment of the main game on its way. That series hasn't exactly diminished from having too many installments, although each volume is a fully contained story.

-Byshop

Well I'd say it just has to do with how Shenmue was conceived originally by Yu Suzuki:

In the beginning, when it was still Virtua Fighter RPG, it spanned a whopping 16 chapters before being reduced to the main 11, so it always was going to be a long series consisting of maybe up to six games at the time. Yakuza may have similar characteristics to Shenmue, but it was never going to be the ambitious and massive story driven journey that this is. The Yakuza games consist of self contained stories like you said.

I'd also say by this point, I think Shenmue III has become more than a concept. Yu Suzuki gave us the outline of the plan an update or two back, and I forget who at the the top of my head, but someone has already played a small prototype of Shenmue III. So if that's anything to go by, real development should start to happen in the next couple of months.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Byshop  Moderator

@Renegade_Fury: I was a big VF player since VF1, so when playing the move similarities were immediately obvious. Ryo's style is somewhat unique but he has common moves with Akira. There was another boss in Shenmue 2 that I remember who fought almost exactly like a cabron copy of Lau. Those were the big ones I remember but I think there were others.

-Byshop

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Renegade_Fury

@Byshop: There are a lot of Virtua Fighter references for sure, and yeah, Ryo is basically Akira, and interestingly enough, Lan Di is based off of Lau. A part of me wishes that Shenmue was still Virtua Fighter RPG, because Akira is my favorite fighter of the series, and so I would have loved to play a game starring him.

DrSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DrSpoon
Member since 2015 • 628 Posts

If its any good, I will support it by buying it too - also depends on how much it links to previous games as I don't recall the story... wikipedia might help here though.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#42 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Nope, never played any of the shenmue games at all , so not into that hype.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17637 Posts

@longclaw360: haha, I can completely understand this. The game starts out at a snail's pace.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

I will go with all the negative posts here.