Did Horizon Forbidden West reach PS2 CGi level graphics???

JoaoPedro7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JoaoPedro7
Member since 2020 • 80 Posts

Or at least Toy Story ?

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 47028 Posts

Considering its being held-back by PS4, I thought it looked really good.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 10073 Posts

Certainly a looker!

Played the original and wasn't a very big fan of the game, was an open world shooter in all intents and purposes; that was originally aiming to be inspired by Monster Hunter, and isn't anything like MH. I personally compare Horizon a lot to the Tomb Raider reboots. Nothing wrong with what it is, but nothing that interests me. Gorgeous looking games at least.

Am happy for fans getting a first look at the sequel, but this is an easy pass for me and my PS5 console.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 7540 Posts

@davillain- said:

Yeah, I agree you can definitely see the improvements over the first game but it's not next level or anything but it's pretty great looking.

JoaoPedro7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JoaoPedro7

@RSM-HQ said:

Certainly a looker!

Played the original and wasn't a very big fan of the game, was an open world shooter in all intents and purposes; that was originally aiming to be inspired by Monster Hunter, and isn't anything like MH. I personally compare Horizon a lot to the Tomb Raider reboots. Nothing wrong with what it is, but nothing that interests me. Gorgeous looking games at least.

Am happy for fans getting a first look at the sequel, but this is an easy pass for me and my PS5 console.

Compare the Horizon 2 beach and the paradisiacal CGi scene from FFX-2

Loading Video...

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 12138 Posts

Its a pretty game for sure.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy  Online
Member since 2015 • 13259 Posts

Guerilla's engine is great. The motion capture and facial animation is excellent, the environment is lush and feels alive, underwater parts are vibrant and detailed, lighting is on point. It looks really good!

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 10073 Posts

@joaopedro7: Based on that cutscene Horizon looks like it has far more going on honestly, would state it looks more pleasing but the smaller details the Final Fantasy clip has some nice details.

Is worth considering CGI has different techniques to make them look more impressive than they actually are, unlike games, CGI clips can be touched up frame-from-frame by professional digital artists to look as visually pleasing as possible.

Because in gaming we have control over what we see, this makes those touch-ups impossible. As such is down to the engine, lighting, and other rendering effects to make the game look more visually pleasing. Would take artists in a controllable video game to touch-up hundreds of thousands of possible frames. Potentially millions. Which would be a life long project. Many who already touch-up CGI clips work to the bone so I do not think it's realistic that a game can ever catch up to good CGI, especially in the same generation.

JoaoPedro7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JoaoPedro7

@RSM-HQ said:

@joaopedro7: Based on that cutscene Horizon looks like it has far more going on honestly, would state it looks more pleasing but the smaller details the Final Fantasy clip has some nice details.

Is worth considering CGI has different techniques to make them look more impressive than they actually are, unlike games, CGI clips can be touched up frame-from-frame by professional digital artists to look as visually pleasing as possible.

Because in gaming we have control over what we see, this makes those touch-ups impossible. As such is down to the engine, lighting, and other rendering effects to make the game look more visually pleasing. Would take artists in a controllable video game to touch-up hundreds of thousands of possible frames. Potentially millions. Which would be a life long project. Many who already touch-up CGI clips work to the bone so I do not think it's realistic that a game can ever catch up to good CGI, especially in the same generation.

Perhaps today's games are as beautiful as 2000's CGi... like FFX-2

JoaoPedro7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JoaoPedro7

@davillain- said:

You look good