Did Black Ops 2 finally destroy the gaming industry?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

XspidervenomX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 XspidervenomX
Member since 2011 • 372 Posts
Gamers have been getting fatigue for a while now, with game prices now at 64$ with tax, shovel-ware, 3 hour campaigns with deathmatch, paid for reviews and down right broken games, the industry has begun a slow cannibalization of itself in the form of greed. We all knew many gamers would line up for Black Ops 2, hungry for a new game to play. Turns out we got a carbon copy release reboxing of the same thing. Dated, repetitive, bland.. Makes you wonder if they spend any time making this game or just copied the code and reboxed it, making it the cheapest most profitable game ever in history. Will this be the straw that broke the camels back? Will game companies refuse to fess up an blame it on Angry Birds apps? Never has an IPhone game ever replaced Skyrim, no that's just an excuse. I used to buy 25 games a years, now I'm down to about 3 or 4. Personally,, my feelings, gamers just got knocked in teeth , I expect a big decline in games sales and in the trust gamers have going forward in the gaming world.
TommyT456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#2 TommyT456
Member since 2008 • 352 Posts
I think part of it is down to us reaching the end of the current consoles life spans and it is time we started hearing more concrete news regarding the new consoles. This always happens at the end of a consoles peak time, games decline in quality and innovation because the console has done everything it can so the designers resort to rehashing those old formulas. This generation may have some more life left in it but only if we accept that we're not going to see anything groundbreaking as it's all been done on these platforms already. I just hope that the next hardcore consoles we see will bring with them some fresh thinking and not just more of the same with better graphics.
Busy_Man123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 Busy_Man123
Member since 2008 • 1430 Posts

This is such a subjective statement. CoD gamers are no different from "gamers." Anyone can be a gamer as long you like to play video games. People will buy CoD for whatever reasons; they're fans, like multiplayer, playing with friends, etc. It's so pointless to judge on someone's taste in video games. I will admit, I didn't buy BO2 because I'm tired of CoD, but that's me, there are people that really love the series and want more of it.

Raphy_Turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Raphy_Turtle
Member since 2011 • 239 Posts
You're way too subjective. Paid for reviews?? Are you kidding? I'm not even going to bother addressing that; though hopefully you would take a minute to read GamSpot's reviewing policies. Next, prices rise with inflation and because games are way more expansive to make than it used to be. Game budgets now look like Hollywood movie budgets and so are the profits. Agreed there are plenty of occasions in which you know the distributor was looking to make an extra buck (DLCs), but the gaming industry isn't dying, to the contrary, it is booming more than ever. Your cynical and fatalistic views on gaming are clearly not shared by the greater demographics who line up for big titles. You're disgruntled about the price and repetitiveness of popular titles. I agree many franchises like COD who releases one game a year inevitably suffers from repetitiveness after a while. Yet, it obviously is a recipe for success seeing how they break record sales year after year. This is also an aging console generation as was mentioned, there's only so much innovation you can pull off with 7 year old tech. Finally, I'm no COD fanatic, but I LOVED black ops compared to other titles of the franchise for its darker tone and amazing voice acting, so when you say gamers got knocked in the teeth, you don't speak for ''the people'', only your personal frustration over a game no one is forcing you to purchase. Screw Angry Birds!
Aleksa8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 Aleksa8
Member since 2009 • 29 Posts

The indie community has none of those aforementioned benefits. Yet it is still thriving, both with talent, design, and even sales.

It's not being destroyed, it's branching. You just have to know where to look (Desura's very good for indie titles).

Avatar image for deactivated-57bcc1891a93a
deactivated-57bcc1891a93a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6 deactivated-57bcc1891a93a
Member since 2010 • 1284 Posts
hey, it's the 1 guy in the world surprised Blops 2 was rehash.
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

You shouldn't confuse Activision with other developers.

TheWaterbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheWaterbox
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

I think part of it is down to us reaching the end of the current consoles life spans and it is time we started hearing more concrete news regarding the new consoles. This always happens at the end of a consoles peak time, games decline in quality and innovation because the console has done everything it can so the designers resort to rehashing those old formulas. This generation may have some more life left in it but only if we accept that we're not going to see anything groundbreaking as it's all been done on these platforms already. I just hope that the next hardcore consoles we see will bring with them some fresh thinking and not just more of the same with better graphics. TommyT456

I disagree. Hardware/graphics capability has next to ZERO influence on the innovation or quality of new games. Games can be innovative and fun without 3D graphics, and people still make them and they are successful. Physics in games would probably be the only thing missing that would be incorporated in next generation consoles, but that obviously does not make a game more innovative or enjoyable. OP is right, this has to do with the state of the market, and what publishers have found people are willing to shell out for. A next generation of consoles will not solve this problem, only a grass roots movement of people waiting for reviews, and purchasing ONLY quality titles whenever possible. People stopped buying Guitar Hero copies every six months, and look what happened. Now let's just stop buying these TERRIBLE first person shooters.

lostsoul2104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lostsoul2104
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Considering it isn't really a rehash, this is all a moot point. Just more "honest" reviews from people who assume and haven't really played it.
00J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 00J
Member since 2003 • 201 Posts

actually the end of a consoles lifespan usually generates the best games, because all the developers have full experience with the hardware, and lots of examples of what the hardware is capable of.

00J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 00J
Member since 2003 • 201 Posts

first person shooters are a strong part of gaming. It's not the genre, it's the concepts. Look at Dishonored for instance, if enough planning is in place a good new IP can happen. Skyrim is also another example of what is possible. I think the only real reason Black Ops/COD have such hype behind them is the fact that War has been a major part of our culture for the entire Console Segment... Navy Seals in the news, secret military hardware and tactics brought out in the open, etc. Now if someone could just make a decent FPS Superhero Genre of games, that would be the next Black Ops/COD. I've been thinking about this for years and it's really confounding why none of the game companies haven't tried to cash in on this revived Superhero interest. Imagine Superman in FPS point of view, or Batman? Or any of the other hundreds of Superheroes. Oh also imagine Starwars FPS, or another Skyrim like FPS. In Skyrim you are basically a Superhero type character, and your "Powers" pretty much lay the foundation for what would be possible I see Superman and Batman FPS right there in Skyrim alone...

Xaphan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Xaphan3
Member since 2003 • 210 Posts

first person shooters are a strong part of gaming. It's not the genre, it's the concepts. Look at Dishonored for instance, if enough planning is in place a good new IP can happen. Skyrim is also another example of what is possible. I think the only real reason Black Ops/COD have such hype behind them is the fact that War has been a major part of our culture for the entire Console Segment... Navy Seals in the news, secret military hardware and tactics brought out in the open, etc. Now if someone could just make a decent FPS Superhero Genre of games, that would be the next Black Ops/COD. I've been thinking about this for years and it's really confounding why none of the game companies haven't tried to cash in on this revived Superhero interest. Imagine Superman in FPS point of view, or Batman? Or any of the other hundreds of Superheroes. Oh also imagine Starwars FPS, or another Skyrim like FPS. In Skyrim you are basically a Superhero type character, and your "Powers" pretty much lay the foundation for what would be possible I see Superman and Batman FPS right there in Skyrim alone...

00J

I think what you are saying is right, but I also think CoD type games are the "in" thing. Like CoD4 formula has been redone for the last few years by numerous games, CoD, MoH, etc. People like having that instant gratification. Unlike the good old days of BF2, where it took months or weeks to unlock a new weapon. Whereas today it takes a week to hit top level. Not to mention most of the player base of console players is alot younger no adays. I mean I havent played a CoD since Blops1, but I mean if it aint broke, don't fix it. We all know Activision is money hungry for DLC and new sales. So it's kind of stupid to change something that is a number 1 seller every year to a new formula. They know if they change it and break the formula people would **** and moan and probably not buy it. Its just ashame that it had to be on such a generic shooter that did something right one time and now they have to milk it out, and destroy a once good franchise. (Long live CoD1, and CoD2)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#13 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

New hardware always brings new innovation. That's what I have bet on. I think it's time for a new big IP. I think that the new Halo trilogy under 343i is set to be a big "reboot" (not that Halo needed rebooting). The new ideas that they have brought are great, and I can't wait to see what they, and other new developers, do with the next-gen hardware.

Just look at PC: The PC platform always gets fantastic indie games because they are not limited by hardware. I think that once the bar gets raised, we will see games start to improve.

Oh, and fingers crossed Activision kills CoD with its own greed, selfishness, and lack of innovation.

one50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 one50
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

COD has been sucking ever since COD MW2. The aging of the console tech has nothing to do with lack of developers creativity and publishers on the FPS bandwagon. The latest Ghost Recon Future Soldier was actually pretty fun to play, and I am still playing it. I thought UBISOFT did a fine job with that game, as it has high replayability, and is not linear, and has quite a few new gadgets and has an "open feeling" in the campaign which most other fps lack. Players have been complaining about linear shallow shooters for years. I can think of only two console games in the tactical/military /shooter genre that are actually outside the box of all the Battlefield COD MOH garbage being produced- Rainbow Six Vegas 2, and Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising. RSV2 is a game which allows total freedom in truly customizing your character, weapon loadouts, and tactics on the fly throughout the game. YOU order your team to stack up on the door, choose the type of entry you want to make etc. It's awesome. OFP is the closest thing to an open world military sim the console has. It wasnt very polished, but you can play it numerous times and complete missions in different ways with varying equipment. Basically, the current developers are putting out pretty looking, scripted predictable shooters, that require little thinking or planning. Just shoot your way out of everything, no tactics, no planning, etc. Games like OFP and ARMA exist on PC, and blow COD out of the water. They have been around for 10 YEARS. It has nothing to do with aging technology of consoles!!! But they require thinking, and a little more patience than most kids want to put into playing their games. I love a good firefight like everyone else, but I also enjoy the freedom to use my brain and have choices and tactics in a game. These things make it more realistic and replayable. Old school shooters like Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, etc. all used to be more wide open and very customizeable. The COD generation has attratced many developers to steer in that direction, and as a result, we have numerous productions of basically the same old **** Look at the new MOH and Black Ops. What's new about them? Nothing. If Activision is going to hype a game about Tier 1 this and Special Forces that, I would expect that as a player, I'm going to actually be able to DO something special in the game, like more interactive controls, special abilites like rapelling and access to special equipment etc. But, it's just another shooter with characters dressed up in the latest tactical gear, that's all. And personally, I can't stand multiplayer, unless it's BF2. everything else is too tight and unrealistic. It's not fun for me to run, shoot die. Spawn, die. Spawn, die, repaet. When will developers listen???

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#15 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

COD has been sucking ever since COD MW2.

The aging of the console tech has nothing to do with lack of developers creativity and publishers on the FPS bandwagon. The latest Ghost Recon Future Soldier was actually pretty fun to play, and I am still playing it. I thought UBISOFT did a fine job with that game, as it has high replayability, and is not linear, and has quite a few new gadgets and has an "open feeling" in the campaign which most other fps lack. Players have been complaining about linear shallow shooters for years. I can think of only two console games in the tactical/military /shooter genre that are actually outside the box of all the Battlefield COD MOH garbage being produced- Rainbow Six Vegas 2, and Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising.

RSV2 is a game which allows total freedom in truly customizing your character, weapon loadouts, and tactics on the fly throughout the game. YOU order your team to stack up on the door, choose the type of entry you want to make etc. It's awesome. OFP is the closest thing to an open world military sim the console has. It wasnt very polished, but you can play it numerous times and complete missions in different ways with varying equipment.

Basically, the current developers are putting out pretty looking, scripted predictable shooters, that require little thinking or planning. Just shoot your way out of everything, no tactics, no planning, etc. Games like OFP and ARMA exist on PC, and blow COD out of the water. They have been around for 10 YEARS. It has nothing to do with aging technology of consoles!!! But they require thinking, and a little more patience than most kids want to put into playing their games. I love a good firefight like everyone else, but I also enjoy the freedom to use my brain and have choices and tactics in a game. These things make it more realistic and replayable.

Old school shooters like Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, etc. all used to be more wide open and very customizeable. The COD generation has attratced many developers to steer in that direction, and as a result, we have numerous productions of basically the same old **** Look at the new MOH and Black Ops. What's new about them?

Nothing.

If Activision is going to hype a game about Tier 1 this and Special Forces that, I would expect that as a player, I'm going to actually be able to DO something special in the game, like more interactive controls, special abilites like rapelling and access to special equipment etc. But, it's just another shooter with characters dressed up in the latest tactical gear, that's all. And personally, I can't stand multiplayer, unless it's BF2. everything else is too tight and unrealistic. It's not fun for me to run, shoot die. Spawn, die. Spawn, die, repaet. When will developers listen???

one50

Arsyad00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#16 Arsyad00
Member since 2007 • 822 Posts
lol
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Pretentious whiny gamer is whiny. You're a bigger problem to the industry.
Avatar image for originaldubstop
originaldubstop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 originaldubstop
I am no fanboy but I can't see where all the hate is coming from. Maybe your fave series isn't selling as much as COD I have no clue but I own the predecessor and the story and gameplay wasn't bad at all. After hearing they have made major improvement to the story I am in!
akwarrior15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 akwarrior15
Member since 2005 • 53 Posts

Yes, these COD games seem to be getting stale. I loved the old games, COD4 and COD:WAW. These games I could sit down and play for hours. Ever since Modern Warfare 2, that love and drive has stopped. I wish I could bring it back, but I cannot. The connection issues will have to calm down before I keep playing this game a lot.

Avatar image for stealthyninja81
stealthyninja81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 stealthyninja81
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
thank god somebody has figured it out
moltensquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 moltensquirrel
Blops2 has its place. If you look at one of these on rails fps games like cod and moh as a slightly interactive movie you will have hit the right level. These games are a rehash of a tried and tested formula. It doesn't mean they have no place. Blops2 will never replace the long complex games that stay in your collection but when you need a break from these games (e.g. skyrim, gt5) they are a fine distraction. As a gamer of 25 years I don't get the snobbery that is shown toward some of these high budget blockbusters. Here is my plan; Complete Blops2 campaign (a few hours at most) in a content tourist style. I can't be doing with multiplayer or zombies as I have ff3 and left for dead 2 both of which are vastly superior. Trade in for hitman absolution on release. Walkthrough campaign again. Trade in for farcry 3 on release. Likely to have a reasonably long shelf life so nice of Ubisoft to release third. Voila. 3 recent titles covered for less than half the cost of individual purchase.
moltensquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 moltensquirrel
I meant bf3 as in battlefield not ff3 as in final fantasy. Doh!