Did any of you felt that way ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

Lately I felt like Trophies and Acheivements are detrimental to my gaming.

I have the feeling a lot of games aren't that great if at all but because of trophies I felt compeled to complete it and in the same way I have no interest in replay many games because of that.

And so because of all of that ... games kinda feel like they are like a check list. You get a couple of trophies or acheivements and then go to the next shiny thing because anyway the game wasn't worth it that much anyway.

it is like they robbed games of any replay value.

I guess I'm burned from games

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58382 Posts

My personal feelings are that they are disingenuous attempts to get people to play the game for longer, and therefore yes they are detrimental to gaming. It's like they make a game that's 10 hours long (singleplayer), but then in order to get people to crank out 20 hours in order to perceive a good value, they hide a bunch of, idunno, gold fucking feathers around the game world that are all-but-impossible to get.

Some achievements are ok because you do acquire them with hard work and playing the game as it should naturally be played (i.e. you are killing 100 enemies, but the achievement is for 75 headshots or something). But the pointless stuff to milk the player of their time in order to pad the game's statistics ("Oh we had 1 million players at 10 hours of gametime this week! Our game is good herp derp!") is just nonsense.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11674 Posts

@clefdefa:

I have the feeling a lot of games aren't that great if at all but because of trophies I felt compeled to complete it

I only 100% games I feel are fun enough to get all the achievements. Add to that, if a game doesn't grip me after so many hours, completing means nothing to me if the experience isn't enjoyable. I will add it towards a trade in or borrow pile depending_

Really only do it all with my favorite games, that I'll love to replay, ready to jump back-in. And may even continue when no more trophies/ achievements are remaining.

Even when I see easy achievements/ trophies for games I find mediocre I make a personal note to avoid reaching a certain percentage.

I'm weird like that though so. . . dunno, maybe I'm a rare case for how trophies/ achievements grip Gamers.

it is like they robbed games of any replay value

Depends on the game I guess. Many trophies are clearly made to force replayabilty in games that don't have it. Some games also attach them onto new game+ rewards. And even have extra content not related to any achievement.

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#4 Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

Play to have fun, not for some digital trophy that not one person on Earth will care that you have.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9407 Posts

Personally, I don't really pay much attention to them. However if I've beaten a game and want to keep playing they are a good way to keep enjoying a good game.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Clefdefa

@RSM-HQ: By completing the game I meant to at least see the ending.

Like last summer I was playing Horizon Zero Dawn. Amazing game I did have a great time and got the plat without even trying. But now I don't feel compeled to replay the game.

I think in the PS3 and PS4 gen I only replayed Bloodborne because I really like it.

Many games do have tacked on multiplayer with a bunch of trophies ... like DOOM 2016

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Clefdefa

@pyro1245: yeah maybe I should just turn them off

raburgeson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 raburgeson
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

I'm just starting to think I'd like to buy again. I didn't burn out, a game burnt me. The last game I bought was a couple of years ago for my wife at Christmas, at GameSpot. GameSpot was no problem but the game was. I absolutely will not ever buy another game affiliated with microsoft, Ubisoft, the cloud or, Uplay. Both my family and her family know the tale and they lost a lot of customers. That game was Far Cry 3 and we have not got as much as 1 minute of game play out of it. My wife had a stroke and some family member cleaned up around her computer. The password was lost. No way for her to recover the password. You have to sign in and use your password to get to support. It has been sitting here collecting chemtrail dust all this time and when I can find a big enough ugly enough nail I'm going to hang it on my message board next to my monitor.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#10 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11674 Posts

@clefdefa: I already addressed completing games as well in my first post. And yeah, Horizon Zero Dawn is a great example of me giving up on the game after a few hours, knew what the game had to offer and I wasn't a big fan of it. It's not bad, but what it was is another sandbox third person shooter, and expected more of a Monster Hunter game; as the developer originally aimed for.

As much as I enjoyed D00M IV I'll never have 100% achievements on it personally. Requires to fiddle with snapmap tutorials, find all the challenge stones, and find some other unlockables I'll never get.

It's a good game, but right now I've had my FPS fill. D00M IV is a very good game, yet I don't like it that much to mess around with more playthroughs.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44286 Posts

No, I can say that I do. I play games to have fun and because I enjoy the game that I’m playing first and foremost. I love achievements however they are just a bonus feature for me.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

I have had Steam since around 2013. play around 10-20 hours a week and very literally just today i learned how to look up my achievements