developing games on ps3 instead of 360

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fossil2587

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 fossil2587
Member since 2003 • 589 Posts

As you may know that a lot of the games currently being released are developed on 360 hardware and then ported over to the ps3 and usually the ps3 one gets reviewed less because of w/e reason.

Do you think that if developers developed games on the ps3 hardware origianlly and ported it to 360 games would look better or the same?

Because i have noticed that games developed exclusivly for ps3 look insanely better than any 360 game. I mean I do not know if it just me, but it just seems better. Ex. MGS4, FF13, Uncharted, heavely sword etc...

I am not saying 360 games dont look good because they do, but what if developers use the ps3s hardware first..especially since the blu-ray disc can hold more info..etc.

Just wanted your thoughts.

thekodaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 thekodaman
Member since 2006 • 1733 Posts

PS3 lead titles should look better all around, i mean just look at Burnout: Paradise it was built on PS3 hardware and then ported over to 360 and both versions look fantastic with the PS3 perhaps having a miniscule edge (but who's going to notice that?). The reason why those games look much better is because they are taking advantage of the power that PS3 offers: FF13, MGS4 and Killzone 2 are all flexing the PS3's capabilities if not nearly maxing them out.

At the end of the day the PS3 is the better piece of hardware and really it should be expected that PS3-exclusives look better, the evidence is pointing at the moment to PS3-lead titles looking superior on both consoles as opposed to the other way around.

Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

My DVD player has better graphics than Final Fantasy 13 at this moment. True story.

Really though, the PS3 and 360 are almost equal in terms of what they can do, but the PS3 has a slight edge, much smaller than the PS2/Xbox divide. Games would look better on the PS3 if that was the lead platform, but that would also cause them to look worse on the 360.

You are making a game- would you make a game for a weaker, more popular, and easier to develop for system that buys a whole lot of games, or would you rather develop for a system that is hard to program, has a smaller install base, and a lower attach ratio. It's simple economics, and this kind of attitude has been around longer than the PS3.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

It doesn't really matter. 360 ports are fine, as long as they're optimised. For the truly beautiful stuff, you always look to the first parties.

muff07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 muff07
Member since 2007 • 945 Posts

My DVD player has better graphics than Final Fantasy 13 at this moment. True story.

Really though, the PS3 and 360 are almost equal in terms of what they can do, but the PS3 has a slight edge, much smaller than the PS2/Xbox divide. Games would look better on the PS3 if that was the lead platform, but that would also cause them to look worse on the 360.

You are making a game- would you make a game for a weaker, more popular, and easier to develop for system that buys a whole lot of games, or would you rather develop for a system that is hard to program, has a smaller install base, and a lower attach ratio. It's simple economics, and this kind of attitude has been around longer than the PS3.

AtomicTangerine

You realise than in terms of capabilities even the Gamecube was technically better in terms of procesing and graphics card etc than the ps2?

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#6 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

I'm calling shenanigans on this topic.

If we look at last generation, Xbox was the more powerful console and always got the better looking games... do you think developers just stopped doing this this gen? Do you honestly think that ports last gen were improved for the stronger console and then this gen they just said "ah **** if, we're doing straight ports from now on. We're not even going to bother with PS3's vastly improved console"?

doubtful.

Every port done this generation has showed that the 360 is better at lighting and the PS3 is better at AA. The reason that MGS 4 and FFXLII look better than anything on the 360 is because these are exclusive games that are still in development and there's nothing to compare them to on the 360. it's has nothing to do with power, it has to do about lack of comparison.

Darth_Tigris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Darth_Tigris
Member since 2002 • 2506 Posts
^^ Even though I don't think MGS4 or FFXIII (which we have yet to see actual footage for) look better than 360 games, I do think that games like CoD4 and Burnout Paradise blow up this argument completely. CoD4, in particular, is one of the best looking games on ANY system and its multiplatform and generally identical on both systems. Shenanigans!
mechworrior762

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 mechworrior762
Member since 2007 • 1763 Posts
A lot of multiplat games out there look really good, ex. CoD4, but I think that there is a lot of hidden potentian in both systems, and I f a developer were to focus their efforts on one system, exclusively, instead of having a multiplat in mind, I think that they could then really use the systems to it's full strengths. Look what Bungie did with Halo 3, and there's Uncharted on the PS3. BTW, Uncharted only used 30% of the power in the Cell Brodband Engine. Because Insomnic is working exclusively with the PS3, they can work on tapping into that vast power. I own a PS3, and a 360 is on the way, so I really don't give a flying **** what's exclusive to what. More exclusives would be good (if you have both systems) because then the dev can work solely on harnessing the power of that particular machine.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts
[QUOTE="AtomicTangerine"]My DVD player has better graphics than Final Fantasy 13 at this moment. True story.

muff07

You realise than in terms of capabilities even the Gamecube was technically better in terms of procesing and graphics card etc than the ps2?

The GameCube was more powerful and easier to develop for, but it had a much smaller install base than the PS2. Ports should have been as good as or better than the original, but the weren't because the developers didn't care.