Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is much more enjoyable to me than Fallout 4

#1 Edited by Maxpowers_32 (663 posts) -

It's amazing how great so many games are these days, but Mankind Divided is my favorite. I just blows my mind how detailed the world is, with such an interesting and complex plot, not to mention how many ways you can play it. I can't imagine what went into making a game like this.

I just beat a sidequest that actually surprised me with its twist ending. There are so many twists and turns in these missions and the detail throughout the game is incredible.

This is a lot more enjoyable to me than Fallout 4. Aside from the silver shroud sidequest there doesn't seem to be much imagination or choice involved. I haven't beaten the game yet, but nothing really interesting happens in the missions. I loved Fallout 1 and 2, but I'm a bit disappointed with 4.

#2 Posted by RSM-HQ (8426 posts) -

That's all nice and everything but how does Mankind Divided compare to Human Revolution should be the real comparison. And if not in favor should be shunned honestly.

Not Bethesdas sandbox action games for people who just like using V.A.T.s while drinking a cup of coffee, and literally nothing else.

I really like Deus Ex, the original and HR are games I have played probably six times each. Very enjoyable. But avoided MD when the developer posted Square Enix was ripping apart the game for DLC and the last section of the game was never finished due to time restrictions.

Would say if you like choices/ quests and that's what this is really all about? Look into Divinity: Original Sin II

#3 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18989 posts) -

@Maxpowers_32: Yeah I definitely enjoyed Mankind Divided... I think it's underrated/underappreciated.

It's not as good as Human Revolution, but it's still worth a play-through for fans of those types of games.

#4 Posted by Maxpowers_32 (663 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: You should definitely try MD. Not sure what issues you're referring to with it not being finished. Hope it doesn't let me down at this point. I think I bought the version with all the DLC. I loved the original Deus Ex and HR as well. Didn't like the original Deus Ex sequel though.

Maybe it's just my nostalgia goggles, but I remember Fallout 1 and 2 having great characters and stories, with some really surprising and hilarious moments. I know Fallout 2 had a lot of pop culture references (maybe too many). I mentioned this before, but I just hate the settlement building with a passion. I have to get a portable generator up and running in real life due to hurricane threats and don't need to be babysitting and building a town in a game. I really enjoyed starcraft, but not mixed in with Fallout. So I had really high expectations and it's the only recent game to let me down.

HR was definitely a great game that I enjoyed a lot, but it's been so long since I played it I don't remember it well enough to compare it to MD. I really hope there is a sequel to MD.

#5 Posted by Maxpowers_32 (663 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01: Can you suggest any other games that are similar? I'm thinking of playing through MD again after I beat it using a guns blazing playstyle since I'm playing all stealth right now.

#6 Posted by pyro1245 (5061 posts) -

Yeah I need to play it...

I loved Human Revolution, and heard MD is basically more of the same but not quite as good.

I like FO4 for... different reasons. I put about 400 hours into the base building stuff, but never finished the main story. Honestly I really didn't care at all about the main story. I had some crazy mods like War On The Commonwealth that made the world very hostile and did the whole Survival thing. It was a great experience.

#7 Posted by RSM-HQ (8426 posts) -

@Maxpowers_32:

You should definitely try MD

Hmm, I'm an honest enough person to state probably not. In the near future anyway.

I've just read too many polarising things about the game and would probably get under my skin. Recently came off a stinker of a game I really wanted to enjoy as well (ironically a well received game); so don't exactly want to go in something else that will turn me into a cynical douche lol.

Didn't like the original Deus Ex sequel though

Honestly didn't bother with Invisible War. Watched my friend play it years ago and he was having a horrible time with it haha.

#8 Edited by johnd13 (9752 posts) -

Being a huge fan of HR, I had a blast with MD. The only letdown was the abrupt ending, for which we can blame Square Enix. Even so I had so much fun with the game, I'm willing to look past that. HR had superior atmosphere, a more compact and complete story and featured two of my favorite settings in video games (Detroit, Hengsha). On the other hand, MD polished the gameplay (combat mostly) and nailed the hub world with interesting side stories and details. To be honest, that's the kind of environment I prefer nowadays as most open world games feel empty and boring after a while.

Definitely enjoyed it a lot more than Fallout 4, which was a good game and I had fun with it but it mostly felt bland and flat.

#9 Posted by thereal25 (1788 posts) -

@Maxpowers_32: For some reason I found myself quite enjoying mankind divided up to about the half way point - but it was down hill from there. As for Fallout 4, apart from the music there wasn't really any point were I felt like I was actually having much fun with it. So, in the end I don't really rate either game that highly.

#10 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44045 posts) -

@RSM-HQ said:

@Maxpowers_32:

Hmm, I'm an honest enough person to state probably not. In the near future anyway.

I've just read too many polarising things about the game and would probably get under my skin. Recently came off a stinker of a game I really wanted to enjoy as well (ironically a well received game); so don't exactly want to go in something else that will turn me into a cynical douche lol.

Honestly didn't bother with Invisible War. Watched my friend play it years ago and he was having a horrible time with it haha.

Invisible War is terrible. Deus Ex is my favorite game of all time, and I like the prequels well enough, but I pretend IW never existed.

#11 Posted by RSM-HQ (8426 posts) -
@mrbojangles25 said:

Invisible War is terrible. Deus Ex is my favorite game of all time, and I like the prequels well enough, but I pretend IW never existed.

Can relate. Never wanted Resident Evil Zero, Devil May Cry 2, and Monster Hunter X series to exist. Just to name a few.

But sometimes games are made less to push the series forward in a meaningful way; but to throw the franchise at new inexperienced teams to get some easy money for the publisher while a IP is doing well.

#12 Posted by BaelNergal (232 posts) -

Being better than Fallout 4 is a very low bar to clear. It's like saying something has more rainfall than the Moon or is more insulted than the planet Pluto.

But, overall, Mankind Divided isn't the worst Deus Ex game for me; that was Invisible War. It was just... terrible, even for its era.

#13 Posted by VagrantSnow (343 posts) -

It's certainly a much better RPG and would have loved if the game had more hub areas. I really enjoy Fallout 4 too but it is certainly pretty weak as an RPG and easily one of the weakest Fallouts of the franchise.

#14 Posted by Maxpowers_32 (663 posts) -

@RSM-HQ said:

@Maxpowers_32:

As far as Invisible War I actually had a similar experience. My friend bought it when it first came out and I watched him play it and tried it myself. It just felt...off. That memory of seeing the character creation is still with me like it was yesterday. After my experience I didn't buy it even though I'd say the original game is one of the greatest games of all times.

In my opinion you're doing yourself a disservice by avoiding MD. Maybe wait a bit before jumping in. I've been reading every email, listening to every conversation by NPCs or TV/radio, exploring everywhere I can find, and am amazed by how many little details there are and places to explore. Coming from Fallout 4 it took me a bit to figure out the controls and everything, but I just love it. The only downside now is I think I'm on or close to the last mission so I'm trying to find any sidequests I may have missed.

#15 Posted by Maxpowers_32 (663 posts) -

@johnd13 said:

Being a huge fan of HR, I had a blast with MD. The only letdown was the abrupt ending, for which we can blame Square Enix. Even so I had so much fun with the game, I'm willing to look past that. HR had superior atmosphere, a more compact and complete story and featured two of my favorite settings in video games (Detroit, Hengsha). On the other hand, MD polished the gameplay (combat mostly) and nailed the hub world with interesting side stories and details. To be honest, that's the kind of environment I prefer nowadays as most open world games feel empty and boring after a while.

Definitely enjoyed it a lot more than Fallout 4, which was a good game and I had fun with it but it mostly felt bland and flat.

After I beat MD with my stealth, non-lethal playthrough I wanted to go back and beat the game with the opposite approach to see the combat. I was thinking of dong that for HR instead since it would be fresh considering I haven't played it in years, but it sounds like the combat in MD is better, so maybe I'll try that.

#16 Edited by RSM-HQ (8426 posts) -
@Maxpowers_32 said:

In my opinion you're doing yourself a disservice by avoiding MD. Coming from Fallout 4 it took me a bit to figure out the controls and everything, but I just love it.

Different controls is rarely an issue for me, jump into a few series and genres.

And perhaps in some regard it is a disservice to abandon Mankind Divided while claiming to enjoy two other Deus Ex games so much.

However never played the second one so have no issue just dipping into the cream of the crop. We all cannot play every game and sometimes it's just easier to say "no" and play something else.

Just had too many games I felt "meh" about in recent memory. And right now no shortage of quality games to play instead.

Mankind Divided just seems like playing CastleVania: The Legend of Dracula (Adventure) to me. It's canon, it's 'serviceable'. But is it really worth the time? Questionable is the word; and as someone who beat CV:TLoD not long ago can say it's a game that just didn't need to exist. Did nothing great gameplay-wise and was pretty transparent in its vision and concept.