Defining Difference Between Action Adventures and Platformers?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PJ24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PJ24
Member since 2005 • 3816 Posts
It's weird, the thought just poped into my head and I just couldn't come up with the crucial difference(s) between the two. I mean, I know what games are Action Adventures (Uncharted, Tomb Raider) and I know which are Platformers (Jak and Daxter, Super Mario). I can tell them apart but I can't define the differences if you know what I mean. The only thing I can think of are little things, Platformers tend to be more jumpy while Action Adventure games tend to have more exploration. But that doesn't really hold much water because, well, Action Adventure games do have jumps and Platformers do have exploration. Do you guys know what the big difference(s) is between these genres? Because I'm stumped :? Though I bet knowing what I'm like the answer is really simple. :P
yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
Action/Adventures usually involve more action. Haha, that's about all I can come up with.
PJ24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PJ24
Member since 2005 • 3816 Posts
Action/Adventures usually involve more action. Haha, that's about all I can come up with.Yagr_Zero
True, but platformers arn't exactly devoid of action either. Rachet and Clank is a pretty good example of that.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
At first, I thought it was a simple answer, but you pointed out some good issues. I think that platformers are more focused on a challenging envrionment, than action/adventure, which are more combat-oriented. However, I could be wrong on that.
ehsan8888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 ehsan8888
Member since 2007 • 2303 Posts

I think that action adventures focus more on you finding the route yourself than them giving it away, while in platformers you basically know where you hae to go, you just have to know the appropriate actions required to reach your destination. And I also think that Ratchet and Cank is more of a hybriddue to it from borrowing the elements from both genres.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Platformers are mainly about getting from point A to B in means of jumping over gaps, onto platforms and the like ( Environment challenge). Action adventure doesn't nessesairly require you to jump over gaps and such in a straight forward way from A to B and usually offer more freedom to reach the end rather then a platformer. ( More about the oppoents challenge) But then the platformer genre is basically swallowed by Action adventure at this point that only the ol'school games are still considered Platformers.
treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Platformers have a lot of collecting items, and power ups, or transforming and stuffs.

Action Adventure is more just an adventure focused more on combat. I'd consider a game like Zelda to be an action/adventure, and a game like Mario a platformer. It's pretty easy to see what makes each game different.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

Well, here's my take on it. Action Adventure games are a widespread genre that encompasses many sub-genres. Platformers were originally a sub-genre of the Action genre, but now can either be catagorized as either a sub-genre of Action (in the case of the game being extremely linear in its design, with little to any exploration/non-linearity in its world design and game world progression), or Action-Adventure (if such non-linearity and exploration do exist).

One of the biggest factors to come into play is that when you come down to it, defining a game as an Action game (or a sub-genre of Action) really requires the game to have a relatively to very strict progression in what happens in the game, as the pacing and scaling of the difficulty of the game crucial for the action genre as a whole.

I find it interesting, though, that you cite Uncharted as an Action-Adventure game...because I found that game to be extremely linear in its design, aside from moments where you could explore the environment to get little secrets, and I'm really noticing the same Bionic Commando, now that I think about it.

Furthermore, I'd agrue the authenticity and validity of calling the platforming segments of Uncharted...well, platforming segments, given that it relies so heavily on pre-scripted jump animations, that it's extremely hard at times to gauge exactly which jump you're supposed to make, as his capable jumping distance seems to vary greatly enough to make it difficult to determine. This is in contrast to a game like, say, Super Mario Bros., where Mario's jumping length has a relatively clear, absolute maximum that's possible based on certain conditions, and these conditions are reliable enough for the player to gauge whether a jump is possible or not...but that's a whoooole different discussion I can go into. :P

Overall, my contention is that 'platformers' really shouldn't be used as a genre cIassification in and of itself, especially at this time. It could easily be used as a qualifier of what /styIe/ of action or action-adventure game is being done, but in and of itself it's merely indicating a gameplay 'styIe' that is prominent in the game. All of the games you listed contain platforming, yes, but really the distinction would be which are more action, and which are more action-adventure in design, IMHO.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Skylock00

Platformers have a lot of collecting items, and power ups, or transforming and stuffs.

Action Adventure is more just an adventure focused more on combat. I'd consider a game like Zelda to be an action/adventure, and a game like Mario a platformer. It's pretty easy to see what makes each game different.

treedoor
The problem with that argument is that you're referring to relatively older games, which in many cases focus on very few gameplay design elements to the point where it's easy to identify what sort of game it is based purely on that gameplay element. Newer games tend to borrow/adopt/blend several gameplay design mechanics and elements together to create an ever increasing number of subtly different 'hybrid' genres of games, so the lines drawn between them become more hazy and blurred.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#10 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

According to The Videogame StyIe Guide and Reference Manual, the difference is that action-adventure games combine elements from both the action and adventure genres. The elements being exploration and puzzle solving (adventure), and combat (action). Whereas platformers focus more on jumping and navigational challenges, rather than combat, which is typically an after thought in such games (minus the Ratchet & Clank series).

That's the best definition of the two genres I've seen thus far. It may not be perfect, but the line between those genres is very small (which the writers of the aforesaid manual mention even), so it's hard to define 'em any better than they did.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Skylock00

According to The Videogame StyIe Guide and Reference Manual, the difference is that action-adventure games combine elements from both the action and adventure genres. The elements being exploration and puzzle solving (adventure), and combat (action). Whereas platformers focus more on jumping and navigational challenges, rather than combat, which is typically an after thought in such games (minus the Ratchet & Clank series).

That's the best definition of the two genres I've seen thus far. It may not be perfect, but the line between those genres is very small (which the writers of the aforesaid manual mention even), so it's hard to define 'em any better than they did.

c_rake
I've been reading the VSGRM, and it's nice, though I don't agree with some of the rationales for their genre definitions myself. I've been thinking of making a 'genre classification and discussion' thread for a while, though..hmm...
accesdenied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 accesdenied
Member since 2008 • 485 Posts

thats a good question. I thought Gears of war was a shooter but I was wrong is an action adventure so maybe tomb raider would be a platformer in my book...now you got me confuse

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#13 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

[QUOTE="c_rake"]

Skylock00

I've been reading the VSGRM, and it's nice, though I don't agree with some of the rationales for their genre definitions myself. I've been thinking of making a 'genre classification and discussion' thread for a while, though..hmm...

Understandable. I don't agree with some of what they say either (specifically their review guidelines). I simply used that as reference because it's the only definition I know of. I'm sure there are better definitions out there, but I've yet to see one.

But even then, I have to wonder how one would go about doing that. This thread's seen many different definitions for these genres, some of which are acceptable definitions, but it makes me think that an exact definition simply isn't possible. As with so many out there, it becomes difficult to figure out which is the true one.

Hmm...perhaps it would be a good idea to make that thread you mentioned. Maybe then we'd get closer to answering this question.

Ngakor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ngakor
Member since 2009 • 38 Posts

Where are you guys getting your genre definitions from?

Here's a thought: Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Jak and Daxter, and Super Mario are ALL platformers. A platformer is a game that requires jumping in order to traverse terrain. Action adventure is a misnomer, as all games that operate within real-time are action games. Adventures, by definition, can be found in all games, and "adventure" games are little more than puzzle games, occasionally with minor RPG elements (dialogue trees).

And Gears of War is a third-person shooter, not an "action adventure".

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Skylock00

Where are you guys getting your genre definitions from?

Here's a thought: Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Jak and Daxter, and Super Mario are ALL platformers. A platformer is a game that requires jumping in order to traverse terrain. Action adventure is a misnomer, as all games that operate within real-time are action games. Adventures, by definition, can be found in all games, and "adventure" games are little more than puzzle games, occasionally with minor RPG elements (dialogue trees).

And Gears of War is a third-person shooter, not an "action adventure".

Ngakor
The problem with your definition is that Uncharted and Tomb Raider aren't /just/ platformers. Uncharted combines too many elements in its design to constitute that.

Furthermore, your definition of Adventure games is skewed/flawed, as early adventure games weren't really 'puzzle games.' There's a significant difference between a game that's merely a series of puzzles (like Professor Layton, for example), and a traditional adventure game (like Zork). Action-Adventure is not a misnomer at all. It is a legitimate genre that has existed for a very long time, back to the NES generation of gaming (the traditional example being The Legend of Zelda).