Defiance is Borderlands?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

enz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 enz2
Member since 2007 • 1689 Posts
I checked out what this game is about, and all I can think of is Borderlands all over again. The HUD is immaculately identical it's bizarre. I understand its an mmo shooter... But wow, is it just me or can this game just be called borderlands?
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

It has the look and feel of Borderlands, but the difference is that it's an MMO. Borderlands is not. You don't see a thousand players playing at once in a living world, just up to four players every time you play BL 1 or BL 2. Also, Borderlands is in FP, whereas Defiance is in TP.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

It has the look and feel of Borderlands, but the difference is that it's an MMO. Borderlands is not. You don't see a thousand players playing at once in a living world, just up to four players every time you play BL 1 or BL 2. Also, Borderlands is in FP, whereas Defiance is in TP.

Metamania

So it's a really shltty, grindy, unfun version of Borderlands.

Think I'll just keep playing Borderlands.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
I said that when I was watching the commercials too.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

borderlands wannabe

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

I didn't realise Borderlands was about to have its own TV show to link in with the game...

or let you have 50+ people playing together in huge battles

or was a third person shooter MMO

Oh wait - we just need to compare it to something that people like in order to slag it off - carry on :roll:

LordShockTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LordShockTitan
Member since 2013 • 218 Posts

Not really. Blandz is FPS, while Defiance is TPS. Also, Blandz has way more guns that Defiance, and Defiance is a MMO 

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#8 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

No it is not Borderlands!!

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Shame-usBlackley

You mean it's possible to be less fun than Borderlands?
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Shame-usBlackley

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Black_Knight_00

Of course, aren't all MMOs?

It's a broken genre as far as I'm concerned. 

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

Shame-usBlackley

Diabolical maybe, I don't know about broken, I think for what they are designed to do (generating addiction through grinding and peer pressure) MMOs work just fine. I dislike them very much, mind: I just think Borderlands isn't massively more fun. Personal opinion, of course.
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Shame-usBlackley

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] You mean it's possible to be less fun than Borderlands?Black_Knight_00

Diabolical maybe, I don't know about broken, I think for what they are designed to do (generating addiction through grinding and peer pressure) MMOs work just fine. I dislike them very much, mind: I just think Borderlands isn't massively more fun. Personal opinion, of course.

Well, that just explains why it's broken. The game is built as a business model first and a game second. That's busted.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

Shame-usBlackley

Well, that just explains why it's broken. The game is built as a business model first and a game second. That's busted.

I guess you could say that, yes. As far as MMOs are concerned, gameplay and plot (?) are merely accessory to keeping peopel hooked though peer pressure. What does that say about Borderlands though? I mean, it doesn't even have the excuse of being satan's business. Instead of using words to explain my opinion, I'll just post this strip, which perfectly explains my feeling on the game.
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Shame-usBlackley

I guess you could say that, yes. As far as MMOs are concerned, gameplay and plot (?) are merely accessory to keeping peopel hooked though peer pressure. What does that say about Borderlands though? I mean, it doesn't even have the excuse of being satan's business. Instead of using words to explain my opinion, I'll just post this strip, which perfectly explains my feeling on the game.Black_Knight_00

Eh, Borderlands is a loot whore game -- Penny Arcade totall misses why people love it. The arrows just serve as a means for finding more amazing shlt. For a lot of people (me included), finding a kickass weapon, armor, or whatever in Diablo struck a chord and that exact feeling is carried on in Borderlands. It may be because not many games use it (or use it well), but the same thing happened last generation with Champs of Norrath and Baldur'a Gate: Dark Alliance for me... I just fvcking love loot games. Borderlands opens it up and adds a more open world vibe to it and guns, which while stale in standard FPS stuff, works great as a one off for Borderlands. 

I dunno, I just think the urge to explore and find are two of the most important tenets in gaming (and it's one of the reasons I really don't ever talk much shlt about Pokemon even though I'd like to -- because I TOTALLY get why people like it).

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]I guess you could say that, yes. As far as MMOs are concerned, gameplay and plot (?) are merely accessory to keeping peopel hooked though peer pressure. What does that say about Borderlands though? I mean, it doesn't even have the excuse of being satan's business. Instead of using words to explain my opinion, I'll just post this strip, which perfectly explains my feeling on the game.Shame-usBlackley

Eh, Borderlands is a loot whore game -- Penny Arcade totall misses why people love it. The arrows just serve as a means for finding more amazing shit. For a lot of people (me included), finding a kickass weapon, armor, or whatever in Diablo struck a chord and that exact feeling is carried on in Borderlands. It may be because not many games use it (or use it well), but the same thing happened last generation with Champs of Norrath and Baldur'a Gate: Dark Alliance for me... I just fvcking love loot games. Borderlands opens it up and adds a more open world vibe to it and guns, which while stale in standard FPS stuff, works great as a one off for Borderlands. 

I dunno, I just think the urge to explore and find are two of the most important tenets in gaming (and it's one of the reasons I really don't ever talk much shlt about Pokemon even though I'd like to -- because I TOTALLY get why people like it).

lol edit a certain word in the second line of your post or you'll get eaten alive :P About Boredlands (no typo): I love loot games too, but I guess my beef with it is because it has no plot whatsoever and the shooting is, in my opinion, terrible. Maybe I just don't like RPGs with guns anymore, in fact I could never replay Fallout 3 even if I loved it years ago. I just can't stand how unrealistic the damage and hit detection is in these games. Oh well.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#16 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Except that Borderlands is NOT MMO, unless you both got that point already? :P

Also, the enemy AI in Defiance is broken, You can rush past by them and they'll be like "Hey, look, nobody is there!" About five or ten seconds later, they'll immediately fire at you.

It's pretty stupid, if you ask me.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Black_Knight_00

Except that Borderlands is NOT MMO, unless you both got that point already? :P

Also, the enemy AI in Defiance is broken, You can rush past by them and they'll be like "Hey, look, nobody is there!" About five or ten seconds later, they'll immediately fire at you.

It's pretty stupid, if you ask me.

Metamania
haha so that video I sent you was right?
Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

Not really. Blandz is FPS, while Defiance is TPS. Also, Blandz has way more guns that Defiance, and Defiance is a MMO

LordShockTitan

It depends on whether you're talking statistics or function. Within the gun types available in both games, each game offers the same level of variety in terms of functionality. So, for example, both games feature shotguns that vary by projectile, clip, reload type, elemental/nano effect, etc. But defiance also offers BMGs, detonators and infecters on top of the usual sniper, smg, assault rifle, lmgs, etc.

in general, Bordlerlands takes an old-school loot grind approach, whereas Defiance is an MMO based around horizontal progression.

Also, the AI is fine in Defiance. Without difficulty levels, it's hard for an MMO to come out with a single difficulty that will be both challenging but yet welcoming to all comers. I think the co-op levels could use a buff, or at least, could use difficulty levels, but solo provides more of a challenge than any other MMO i've played lately. You just can't judge it by Mount Tam. Wait till you start fighting 99ers and Dark Matter. Again, it's not going to be the most difficult shooter ever. It's a failure of the genre, imo, but short of having servers based on difficulty, not sure what you can do.

Baroni88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Baroni88
Member since 2011 • 345 Posts

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Shame-usBlackley

Definitely an upgrade from borderlands IMO. Love the mmo style and how you can charge in with hundreds.. It's a blast!