Dead State revealed, a zombie turn based RPG.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dvader654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

#1 dvader654
Member since 2002 • 44751 Posts

This game seems like a dream come true!! Check the link below, it has all the details:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/08/25/a-blood-red-state-dead-state-revealed/

Guys read that article, it is the zombie game many of us have dreamed of. Basically you are in charge of the survivors trapped in a school. You need to make sure the place stays well stocked and protected from the zombies. Most importantly you have to deal with the survivors, they all have their own personalities and they can either listen to you or do their own thing. When you go out into the world for supplies its a turned based strategy game like X-Com but some people might not follow your orders and like any good zombie movies people get into trouble and you will need to make the choice to save them or not. There is much more to it but it sounds incredible. So far it seems to be PC only.

Here is some of the article:

You're in charge of the local shelter – a school – which works as your base of operation. The basic mission is survival. You go out, gathering food and finding allies – and every person who can join you is a defined personality. You stay in, improving your defences and upgrading equipment. The sort of elements of the game are discussed further in the FAQ but the key element is freedom. The game doesn't have any defined enemies. Yes, it has people who you'll likely end up hostile to, but other groups of survivors will like or dislike you based upon your actions to each other.

Brian Mitsoda: Allies in the game are people who have asked to join or have been convinced to join your group. We did this because we wanted a large pool of unique survivors and also because we wanted some randomness in the makeup of your group. You probably won't be able to find everyone in one game, and your dealings with many of the survivors may be different depending on how you govern the group, how much they get along with some of the others, their mood/morale, and when you bring them in. Morale tracks the overall mood of the Shelter – if it's positive, mostly people are happy, if not, you need to start raising mood and accomplishing goals that will make people forget about the horror outside. Allies won't be 100% loyal to you once they are in the Shelter, so you'll have to throw them a bone every so often or impress them to make them stay. In a way it's like being a real leader – you can't make decisions that please all of the people all of the time.

Brian Mitsoda: As I was mentioning earlier, we wanted to make our allies feel as though they were individuals rather than extensions of the player. They can be ordered around by the player, but as to whether they will follow that order or not depends on their ability, their aversion to the task, and their respect for the player's commands. That might make it sound like they will NEVER do anything you say, but really what it means is if your ally is scared of zombies and you tell him to run into a pack of zombies, he's most likely going to ignore the order or do it and possibly start panicking as the zombies start to mob him. Each ally has different perks and personalities, and most of these can be altered by your interaction with them. Through dialogue/time they might grow to respect you and be more likely to put themselves in danger to protect you or your encouragement might make them fearlessly aggressive – there's quite a few ways you can shape their behavior, and not always in healthy, feel-good back-patting.

Zombies, on the other hand, are unorganized. They could be anywhere, but their behavior is predictable – they are attracted to noise and will attack the first human they see. They don't care about sides, so if your opponents are using loud guns, the zombies will go after them. If you can use the zombies to your advantage, you might be able to take on a larger force – and there are some items/strategies that can help with this – but it's a gamble. It's generally never a good idea to invite zombies into an area you want to explore. And don't forget – enemies (and allies) killed by zombies will get back up!

One thing we really wanted to capture with the gameplay was that feeling of dread that was a big part of X-Com. You only have line of sight to what you and your allies see. It's very easy to be in a situation where you turn the corner and there are five zombies waiting there or a case where you fail to properly sweep a bedroom and one lunges out of the walk-in closet while you're about to search the dresser. I think that's a big part of the zombie genre, that experience where your friend gets bit that one time you weren't careful. It makes the zombies in the game scary and the exploration very tense, rather than just consisting of killing all the enemies in the area and opening all the containers, repeat ad nauseam.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/10/aug/ds5lg.jpg
RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

Very promising, especially considering it's an isometric turn-based RPG developed by ex-Troika guys using the techlonogy from Age of the Decadence.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Turn base can do things that make real times look shallow.

reason58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 reason58
Member since 2003 • 355 Posts

The Street Fighter reference made me lol.

bad_fur_day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 bad_fur_day
Member since 2008 • 1988 Posts

I need this game to survive. Why can't devs do more awesome stuff like this, it's getting really hard to find anything I actually want to play anymore.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
Holy crap. This sounds phenomenal. My best friend and I have dorked out over the possibilities of a game like this for years.
Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#7 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
Still not the zombie game I'd like to see, but I'm amazed at the words about the character development. that sounds promising.
SaPhIrX_lOl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#8 SaPhIrX_lOl
Member since 2009 • 592 Posts

Mmm, bison!

Godofnerdyness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Godofnerdyness
Member since 2007 • 3248 Posts

I heard this was by some of the guys who did Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines...

If so, day one purchase! Looks awesome!

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts
Sounds a bit like a turn based Fort Zombie with much more depth. Good to see ex-Troika people working on it.