Dark Souls.. Is this the game of the generation?

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheNerdiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 TheNerdiot
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

How do you feel about Dark Souls? Is this game really up to it's hype? I have yet to play it and really don't know what to think because I'm terrified to get addicted to something new.

http://www.nerdiots.com/2014/02/15/dark-souls-game-generation/

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Not even close lol

TheNerdiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TheNerdiot

@ShepardCommandr: I mean is it worth playing at all? I feel like people just give it so much credit, and after looking at some of the reviews, why would anyone want to play a game where you just die all the time? I honestly don't know what to think lol.

Should I waste my time and money on it?

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

I think it's terrible. Slow gameplay and an ugly art style make one bad combination. I'm just glad I got it for free from an amazon "buy 2 games, get one free" deal a couple of years ago.

TheNerdiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheNerdiot

@Renegade_Fury: I think if I can pick it up for free I'm going to give it a shot, hopefully it will show up on the games with gold eventually on 360, and I guess if that happens I'll jump on board, but I don't want to put any money into it that's for sure.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

I consider it to be. Combat can be hard at first, eventually you get use to it. The last third is a cake walk, but the combat isn't what keeps me coming back. Lore, environmental and enemy design, paired with some really great senses of accomplishment kept me coming back for a 3rd and 4th time.

I can't really think of another game that tops it last generation. If you're interested in my top 10 of last generation list to get a taste of what I thought, here it is at the moment (it might change in the future):

1. Dark Souls
  2. The Last of Us
  3. Hotline Miami
  4. Mario Galaxy
  5. Xenoblade
  6. Read Dead Redemption
  7. Rayman Origins
  8. Super Meat Boy
  9. Spelunky
  10. Little King's Story
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@thenerdiot said:

How do you feel about Dark Souls? Is this game really up to it's hype? I have yet to play it and really don't know what to think because I'm terrified to get addicted to something new.

http://www.nerdiots.com/2014/02/15/dark-souls-game-generation/

I would not like to call me a gamer in a generation that calls Dark Souls the game of the generation. Its a ok game but the hype surrounding it, is way too much and not based on anything in the game.

So of course its not the game of any generation, its a mediocre game that has been hyped to heights nothing in it deserves.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

@Minishdriveby said:

I consider it to be. Combat can be hard at first, eventually you get use to it. The last third is a cake walk, but the combat isn't what keeps me coming back. Lore, environmental and enemy design, paired with some really great senses of accomplishment kept me coming back for a 3rd and 4th time.

I can't really think of another game that tops it last generation. If you're interested in my top 10 of last generation list to get a taste of what I thought, here it is at the moment (it might change in the future):

1. Dark Souls
  2. The Last of Us
  3. Hotline Miami
  4. Mario Galaxy
  5. Xenoblade
  6. Read Dead Redemption
  7. Rayman Origins
  8. Super Meat Boy
  9. Spelunky
  10. Little King's Story

you listed a few Wii games but not Sin & Punishment: Star Successor?

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

Definitely my favorite title of the generation. The first six hours were incredibly punishing, but once I started coming to grips with the mechanics, I was totally absorbed. I ended up making 6 characters for over 700 hrs of gameplay in Souls 1, and I'm now up to about 120 in the sequel. What really made Souls 1 special to me was the interconnected areas, hidden lore and weapon variety. That enjoyment only increased when I got into the online co-op.

One thing though, after playing Souls 2, it's tough playing the first again because of the difference in control. The controls in Souls 2 are much, much smoother.

@Minishdriveby Interesting to see Hotline Miami that high, but I agree. I certainly did not expect a game that I bought a during a Steam sale for less than 5 bucks to make that much of an impact, but indeed- Hotline is amazing.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

Those games certainly had that potential within them. Sadly, From Software is a mediocre at best developer, and wasn't able to reach those heights.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#11 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

It might just be the very best game of this generation, I agree; it pretty much reminded everyone what games these days have lost

huerito323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By huerito323
Member since 2009 • 1432 Posts

I love how all the people that suck at it call it a bad mediocre game. In reality, it's their skills at gaming that are mediocre. Stop blaming the game. Dark Souls is absolutely brilliant. It's one of the best games this generation, and one of the best games I've ever played period!

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

def top 5 for me

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Some-Mist

these are the worst comments of souls fanboys:

@huerito323 said:

I love how all the people that suck at it call it a bad mediocre game. In reality, it's their skills at gaming that are mediocre. Stop blaming the game. Dark Souls is absolutely brilliant. It's one of the best games this generation, and one of the best games I've ever played period!

I don't suck at it (search CHAOSPHERE27 https://secure.us.playstation.com/logged-in/trophies/public-trophies/ - I actually beat the asian version of demon's souls around 7 or so new game pluses then the us version a handful of times when it released - notice my two trophy sets with the platinum?, and DS1 once) and I think DS2 is a bad mediocre game - especially in comparison to the first two installments. Demon's Souls was incredible and then the series dropped from there.

DS1 gimped the entire online system - best part of the original demon's souls experience. The themes and map layout were much better in Dark Souls, but everything else didn't compare to the original. DS2 went for a more cinematic approach, with music playing in the background of one of the starting areas, longer cutscenes and bland/uninspired areas. Where's the enemy variety? I wanted to get into it and start fighting right off the bat like in the first two games.... but it actually takes awhile to even see you're first enemy in the 2nd installment. pretty disappointing experience.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Minishdriveby

@Some-Mist said:

@huerito323 said:

I don't suck at it (search CHAOSPHERE27 https://secure.us.playstation.com/logged-in/trophies/public-trophies/ - I actually beat the asian version of demon's souls around 7 or so new game pluses then the us version a handful of times when it released - notice my two trophy sets with the platinum?, and DS1 once) and I think DS2 is a bad mediocre game - especially in comparison to the first two installments. Demon's Souls was incredible and then the series dropped from there.

DS1 gimped the entire online system - best part of the original demon's souls experience. The themes and map layout were much better in Dark Souls, but everything else didn't compare to the original. DS2 went for a more cinematic approach, with music playing in the background of one of the starting areas, longer cutscenes and bland/uninspired areas. Where's the enemy variety? I wanted to get into it and start fighting right off the bat like in the first two games.... but it actually takes awhile to even see you're first enemy in the 2nd installment. pretty disappointing experience.

There were more enemy types in Dark Souls than Demon's Souls.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Minishdriveby

@Some-Mist said:

@Minishdriveby said:

1. Dark Souls
  2. The Last of Us
  3. Hotline Miami
  4. Mario Galaxy
  5. Xenoblade
  6. Read Dead Redemption
  7. Rayman Origins
  8. Super Meat Boy
  9. Spelunky
  10. Little King's Story

you listed a few Wii games but not Sin & Punishment: Star Successor?

Yeah, I thought there were better Wii games than it.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Some-Mist

@Minishdriveby: yikes. I think Sin & Punishment was by far one of the best games the console had to offer. Treasure is a complete pro when it comes to fantastic gameplay...even if it is a bit difficult.

I was also referring to Dark Souls 2 enemy variety which has seemed to change since the original dark souls - another indicator of the series getting worse and worse with each installment. At least they tried tho.... "you know what would be a good idea? a ghost ship with viking zombies." "Brilliant!!!"

@huerito323 said:

@Some-Mist said:

@huerito323 said:

eat shit souls fanboy :)

That's your opinion. Move along.

the funniest part of interacting with a souls fanboy is the fact that they think it's "too difficult" for those who dislike the game. if you want to be a dick about difficulty... you should actually play... you know...some difficult games.

edit: by the way, you should post your Souls platinum trophy(ies) too.

huerito323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By huerito323

@Some-Mist said:

@Minishdriveby: yikes. I think Sin & Punishment was by far one of the best games the console had to offer. Treasure is a complete pro when it comes to fantastic gameplay...even if it is a bit difficult.

I was also referring to Dark Souls 2 enemy variety which has seemed to change since the original dark souls - another indicator of the series getting worse and worse with each installment. At least they tried tho.... "you know what would be a good idea? a ghost ship with viking zombies." "Brilliant!!!"

@huerito323 said:

@Some-Mist said:

@huerito323 said:

eat shit souls fanboy :)

That's your opinion. Move along.

the funniest part of souls fanboys is the fact that they think it's "too difficult" for those who dislike the game. if you want to be a dick about difficulty... you should actually play... you know...some difficult games.

If you're not one of the people that think it's too hard, then why are you even arguing about this? My comment was directed to those who have a hard time with the game, and say it sucks because of it. If the shoe fits, wear it.That's what you just did. You got offended, which leads me to believe you suck at the game.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#21  Edited By SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

^It's not artificial difficulty; it's very fair and often disciplines the player rather than being unforgiving. But, you'd have to play the game first to understand...

Firosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Firosen
Member since 2004 • 560 Posts

Eh... I'm on the fence with this game. If you're a glutton for punishment and truly love a challenge, then this game is perfect. On the other hand, so much of the game just feels like trial and error (though to be honest, I rage quit half way through...). I'd say give it a shot. If you hate it, you're only out 15 bucks.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Minishdriveby

@Some-Mist: Oh whoops, sorry 'bout that. I haven't played DS2 yet, so I'm unaware if enemy variety has take a dip.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Some-Mist

sorry if I spoiled anything :/

the good news about DS2 is the same core gameplay and difficulty are there.

0diN_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 0diN_7
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

It can be a very challenging game and is for a long time. It teaches you to learn from your mistakes and forces you to get better at it. I'm playing ng+++ right now and I'm slaughtering everything in my path and have been since probably halfway to 3/4 of the way through ng so it does get quite easy. It's not for everyone. You can see that here in these posts. I guess it's a love it or hate it sort of thing. I happen to think it's amazimg.

MWright469

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MWright469
Member since 2014 • 168 Posts

I don't really understand the obsession with Dark Souls. I played it, it was okay, but at the end of the day, it's just the stunted brother of Demon's Souls. Say what you will, maybe it has a few extra features, more items, whatever, but Demon's Souls had better graphics and an atmosphere about it that is really quite unique. The game just had more personality and style. It was also harder. Not to mention, the whole "kindling" mechanic was annoying, there was no more hub world, and levels weren't nearly as diverse or interesting, let alone creepy. If anything, Demon's Souls should be contender for game of the gen, but no one would dare admit to it, since Dark Souls is up everyone's ass and Demon's Souls was PS3 exclusive.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

Not even close lol

Came here to post these exact words.

huerito323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By huerito323

It's all personal opinion. To some people, it is, to some, it's not. There is no worldwide agreement on anything.

GiantAssPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GiantAssPanda
Member since 2011 • 1885 Posts

Not to me.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I still like MGS4 better but the Souls series is definitely one of the best.

Meteor7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 129

#32 Meteor7
Member since 2005 • 534 Posts

For me: No

For others: Up to them to decide

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

Its an alright game, its flawed but makes up for most of them with the freedom it offers. I don't know how anybody can say its a fair game with things like the silver knight archer on the ledge in anor londo you have to pass; there are some really bad design choices in dark souls.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#34 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

I wouldnt call Dark souls the game of the gen, I'd say thats reserved for something like Bioshock, Uncharted, TLOU, Catherine, portal or Halo 3. But **** is it a good game!

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

No But Volagrr the Viking is.

Just read some other comments in this thread and the guy saying haters are casuals well you know what you fanboys are total morons. First there are better harder games second the reason everyone complains about dark souls isn't because of their skills it's because of accessibility. Just yesterday I read a topic on dark souls 2 breakpoints for stats. How the hell was I supposed to know there are breakpoints? Also one time I had an argument with the bigoted byshop and I learned from some other guy that embers power depends on your stat meaning that putting a divine ember on your weapon will screw you if you have low fate and my character was a wanderer who has the lowest fate of all. Now are you going to tell me that it's my skill that's the problem?

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#37 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

No. People only love it for it's "hardcore" difficulty"

Take away that hardcore difficulty, and would the game still be getting praised to the moon?

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#38 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Take away that hardcore difficulty, and would the game still be getting praised to the moon?

yeah I'd say so, the online is pretty unique and def alot of fun, plus the combat is addicting regardless of difficulty. and it has a some sweet lore behind it

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#40 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts

Great game for sure. Personally (and yes I know you disagree) I think Diablo 3 is a much better AARG.

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 udUbdaWgz1
Member since 2014 • 633 Posts

I've never played it, but, eventually will.

however, if I find out the game truly does have cheap deaths and artificial difficulty due to the game design, that alone, gives it no chance of being game of the decade, for me.

toss in memorization combat and gameplay and I've just described a game type I can't stand.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#43 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Demon's Souls would be the better choice. Dark Souls was merely iterative on Demon's Souls' design; a spectacular game in its own right, but not as revelatory or groundbreaking as its predecessor. Demon's Souls was revolutionary -- most of all for how seamlessly it melded single- and multiplayer into one cohesive experience, a concept we're seeing more and more games explore these days. It's had a surprising amount of influence on the industry, of which Dark Souls is merely an extension of.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#44 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts
@speedfreak48t5p said:

I'd certainly be praising it still. But then, the challenge isn't what drives me to the Souls series. It's the worlds, the stories, and the very mechanics of the games that keep me coming back even after all there's little else to challenge me. The way these games play is what makes them so good. There's an elegance to them that you just don't see in other games.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#46 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@c_rakestraw said:

Demon's Souls would be the better choice. Dark Souls was merely iterative on Demon's Souls' design; a spectacular game in its own right, but not as revelatory or groundbreaking as its predecessor. Demon's Souls was revolutionary -- most of all for how seamlessly it melded single- and multiplayer into one cohesive experience, a concept we're seeing more and more games explore these days. It's had a surprising amount of influence on the industry, of which Dark Souls is merely an extension of.

I disagree with it revolutionary in melding single&multiplayer in fact the way the souls game do it is a sick idea and they seem to forget that this system can be abused and that most who play single player games, like to keep it that way.

CinemaPopcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By CinemaPopcorn

I personally find it overrated. Newer games of this generation like the last of us in my opinion are better and upcoming title watch dogs looks like it could offer a decent experience so let us just see shall we ;)

Darkmoone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48 Darkmoone1
Member since 2008 • 2845 Posts

One of my favorite game series these past few years. Hard for me to find anything else that is as enjoyable as the Dark Souls series to me these days.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@ Darkmoone1

Have you tried Jamming your arm in a Wood Chipper ?

Thats totally way more hardcore and its so fair because its a wood chipper. :p and theres no hand holding because it shreds the hell out of anything inside it... Including your hand. Haha :D

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#50  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

No it's not, far from it. Dark Souls has a really intense fan base though