Currently playing Darksiders 3. My impressions on the game is, it's an outstanding game! Reviewers are drunk!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56081 Posts

First let me just say Darksiders 3 is freaking awesome so far, found myself playing it for 4 hours straight. Really sucked me in real good! It's much better than some of the reviews made it sound and they were flat-out wrong. I also went out of my way to avoid most footage and gameplay for it before it's release. (Well other then reviewer gameplay wise of course)

It's such a great game! I'm really liking the combat and the vibe of the world. Fun backtracking and nabbing little secrets and items and gradually becoming stronger and stronger. I've died quite a bit, because some enemies are super tough but fun challenge (but hey, Darksiders was always inspired by Dark Souls anyways, so it's expected) and It shows you don't a million dollars and 3/5 years to make a great game. Sure Darksiders 3 is not AAA, it's more like an AA game but we could use more stuff like this if they could come out more often.

Also, Fury is surprisingly sexy 7 badass at the same time, just her behavior and I find her very interesting to know her what she's all about. She doesn't take any bullshit. Very eager to see where she goes as the story progresses. Playing this on PC, pretty good optimization so far.

So who's playing Darksiders 3 and if so, what's your opinion of it?

Enragedhydra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Enragedhydra
Member since 2005 • 1085 Posts

Over the years I held on to the idea that I wouldn't play any game that got a rating under 7.5/10 from reviewers. I know now how wrong I was and how many games I missed out on.
I will end up playing this game, I have only finished the first game but I do own the second.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#3 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

Reminds when I played Survive I was like, "This game is great and enjoyable." But then reviewers gave it low scores to show their hate for Konami.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#4 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I gotta get around to playing it. I really loved 1 & 2 though.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

it's possible the difficulty turned some people off or the old-school action approach, read: not open-world.

There are plenty of gameplay streams out there. It looks fun, but I never planned to buy this at full price. Between the second one not really holding my interest and all the turmoil around THQ franchises after they liquidated everything, I just didn't know what to expect from this. I do want to play it eventually, though.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Yeah it's just a bandwagon effect, you know? Reviewers say the game is bad, so then people say the game is bad.

As per Gamespot's review, I think it's important to read it in detail, and understand the scoring system here.

And once you understand it, come to terms with it.

And once you come to terms with it, be like "**** that" and make up your own damn mind.

Remember: this is the website that, upon giving an actual bad game a poor score (Kane and Lynch 2), ended up firing one of it's best contributors. So really, how serious are you going to take the scores here? I know that might somehow make that 9 or 10 they gave your favorite game somehow less meaningful, but it's for both your good and the greater good to realize that most "mainstream" gaming sites are full of crap.

Meanwhile, Darksiders 3 has a very acceptable 72% metacritic score, with a "92% of people liked this game" rating from Google searches lol.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#7 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11669 Posts

Played some of the original Darksiders and never got a Dark Souls vibe from it. The new one clearly takes notes with the death and replenish systems but pretty sure OP is right in that reviewers are not putting the effort in properly and using that time and effort for the clickbait games. It's pretty common really. Darksiders is an easy series to brush off and dismiss_

Gamespot in particular have made inaccurate notes/ articles quite a few times in 2018, and while a review should be more grounded to giving correct context, at least should be valued on that notion. Otherwise it becomes less trustworthy to the reader, and they won't value the site with any kind of credibility.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#8 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69431 Posts

The game has its issues but I played through the game twice and now on my third. Reviewers are just full of crap and my judgement call is all that matters.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

I feel the same way towards Shadow of the tomb raider. Some reviewers rated it high, a lot rated it quite low. I ended up really enjoying it regardless. I got darksiders 2 from humble bundle but never got around to playing it. I'm sure I will eventually.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58911 Posts

Yea, don't really listen much to reviewers these days.

Pop up on a Steam sale soon enough.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:

Played some of the original Darksiders and never got a Dark Souls vibe from it. The new one clearly takes notes with the death and replenish systems but pretty sure OP is right in that reviewers are not putting the effort in properly and using that time and effort for the clickbait games. It's pretty common really. Darksiders is an easy series to brush off and dismiss_

Gamespot in particular have made inaccurate notes/ articles quite a few times in 2018, and while a review should be more grounded to giving correct context, at least should be valued on that notion. Otherwise it becomes less trustworthy to the reader, and they won't value the site with any kind of credibility.

Basically any action-adventure hack and slash is a "dark souls" clone to the layman these days, which is incredibly disappointing because the genre is very diverse, and I don't think the "souls" games are frequent enough to warrant their own sub-genre.

I mean, is God of War "Souls-like"? Is Darksiders? Dante's Inferno? Devil May Cry?

If anything, I'd sooner call a Souls-like games an "action-adventure games with rogue-like elements".

But whatever I'm being nit-picky at this point.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

I love Darksiders as a series and I recently beat the third one. It's a good game but is it great? Not really. I'm glad I purchased it because it has a great story and I want them to finish the series.

Visually it looks on par with a PS3/360 title which is unacceptable this late in the generation. Some of the environments look terribly uninspired. The load times are also horrendous.

I honestly think the game just needed a larger budget.

WAJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WAJ
Member since 2003 • 771 Posts

Thought the first one was great, the second one is amongst my favourite games ever and really enjoyed the third.

All in all I spent 18hrs in DS3 and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Avatar image for gettingonwithgaminglife
GettingonwithGamingLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GettingonwithGamingLife
Member since 2017 • 277 Posts

Yeah Playstation rated it 7 but I think the reviewers sometimes allow their own biased opinions to get involved even though they are not supposed to, for example maybe thinking that the earlier installments were better. I seriously think they should give this one a chance. I haven't played Darksiders at all but from what I saw..Looks like a pretty solid sequel. Protganist looks good.