Cuphead really does brings out the kid in you if you enjoy watching Cartoons made in 1930/40/50 styles. Nostalgia feel!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts

At first, I wasn't sure if Cuphead could lives up to it's name in the name of paying homage to 1930 era where Cartoons was new to kids and even to Disney which in this game is based on. I'll say first that Cuphead is a good game! I've been enjoying it. The art style is there, it's something you gotta appreciate if you are that type of person who watches oldie cartoons like me. I grew up in the 90's, TV was steady growing, when it comes to channels, various channels were always airing 1930/40/50 cartoons, and if you are that person who watches old school cartoons from Disney, Woody Wood Pecker, Popeye the Sailor Man, Felix the Cat, then you'll definitely feel right at home with Cuphead. All in all, I'm really enjoying Cuphead, it's my Indie game of the year! One thing I like to mention, Cuphead also shares some of the cartoons stuff if you watch "Who Frame Roger Rabbit" movie, just wanted to point that out if you never watch old school 1930 cartoons but ended up watching Who Frame Roger Rabbit is a nice start from there.

Cuphead is only $20, not too shabby I say, it's on Xbox One/Steam/GoG so if you enjoy those old cartoons as a kid, you won't be disappointed playing Cuphead. Be warned, the game is hard but NOT Battletoads hard! Just be patience and good reflex is the key.

Kudos to Studio MDHR for this amazing achievement making of Cuphead:

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#1 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@davillain-: Ya it´s a surprisingly good game and the art style is great.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I wish this game was on PS4, it would be awesome to play co-op. I'm not buying a new console just for that though. I'll probably wait for a sale and grab it from Steam GOG.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#3 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11664 Posts

@davillain-: I've come to know you as a gamer who enjoys his eye-candy. And nothing wrong with that, atmosphere and a creative setting can make a great game that much better.

So I will just be open and state despite its very appealing goofy artstyle, I have next to no interest in Cuphead. Not because it's highly mentioned hard difficulty (as someone will likely throw my way), it's because it's clearly a run and gun game like Metal Slug and Contra. And personally have never clicked with that retro genre.

In the past I've owned remastered versions of Contra Spirits and Metal Slug X and they just didn't grab my interest despite being visually satisfying. I always preferred Platformers, Metroidvanias, and Beat em' Ups as my retro go-to.

And on that note, I don't know if you've played it or not Davillian? but because you are clearly a fan of visually beautiful games. Owlboy is something I highly recommend checking out if you haven't already. It's probably my favorite Metroidvania game since Guacamelee, and has a great artstyle. I know Hollow Knight is praised also but personally haven't given that game a chance yet.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DaVillain  Moderator

@RSM-HQ: It's all good. Cuphead isn't for everyone, it shares it's similarity to Metal Slug/Contra run of the meal kind of game. I guess it's the visual and Nostalgia got the better of me. I never play Metal Slug but I did find myself loving Contra. Like I mention, Cuphead is only love if you enjoy old school cartoons which is why it's getting lots of praises for that.

Have you ever play the game Shank? I love the art and gameplay it had going for back then.

@SOedipus said:

I wish this game was on PS4, it would be awesome to play co-op. I'm not buying a new console just for that though. I'll probably wait for a sale and grab it from Steam GOG.

Yeah, it's a major turn off Cuphead is only on Xbox One console and not everywhere else. This game needs to be on PS4/Nintendo Switch, especially on the Switch.

I would've suspect Cuphead is a timely console exclusive since this game is on Steam/GoG.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11664 Posts

@davillain-: Can't say I was personally very impressed with Shank, the gameplay was pretty unresponsive, it reminded me of Shadow of the Beast which came out recently. And didn't have much going for it outside of gore and a creative artstyle.

I don't know if Shank 2 improved on the original games issues, but the original was a pretty flawed game.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Easily last year's GOTY for me and I am in trepidation to know what they will do next.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator

@Black_Knight_00: LOL I forgot I made this thread due to being bump by a spammer. Necro thread aside, the funny thing is, I still haven't completed Cuphead yet after all this time. After revisiting this thread, I'll reinstall Cuphead tonight.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
@davillain- said:

@Black_Knight_00: LOL I forgot I made this thread due to being bump by a spammer. Necro thread aside, the funny thing is, I still haven't completed Cuphead yet after all this time. After revisiting this thread, I'll reinstall Cuphead tonight.

lol do it