Could GTA 5 be one of the greatest games ever?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

metaknight36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 metaknight36
Member since 2006 • 458 Posts

I am a huge fan of GTA 4 (I know many dislike it) but I loved that game. The improvements that it looks like rockstar has made look absolutely wonderful. So just wondering if you guys tink GTA 5 could be one of, if not the greatest game ever? of course there are people who do not enjoy the games but based on the sheer effort and love put into games it looks like this has a fighting chance. Also would any score under a 10 be a flop for you?

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#2 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

I dont care what reviews say, the game is going to be amazing. GS will give it an 8 stating the world is too big and there was too much to do which confused them.. everywhere else will give it a 9.5 or 10 stating it's the biggest game world ever with a crazy amount of awesome things to find and do.

dbtbandit67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 dbtbandit67
Member since 2012 • 415 Posts

Yeah, it can be. What's even more exciting is the possibility that GTA Online might spin off into an MMO in the future.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#4 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

I am a huge fan of GTA 4 (I know many dislike it) but I loved that game. The improvements that it looks like rockstar has made look absolutely wonderful. So just wondering if you guys tink GTA 5 could be one of, if not the greatest game ever? of course there are people who do not enjoy the games but based on the sheer effort and love put into games it looks like this has a fighting chance. Also would any score under a 10 be a flop for you?

metaknight36

Haters are gonna hate. Most of those people hating are just mad people are not playing rpgs. GTA is not a milked series. Didnt they start in like 1997?

metaknight36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 metaknight36
Member since 2006 • 458 Posts

[QUOTE="metaknight36"]

Coolyfett

Haters are gonna hate. Most of those people hating are just mad people are not playing rpgs. GTA is not a milked series. Didnt they start in like 1997?

Not exactly sure when but considering it's been 5 years since a real fully established GTA game came out i would agree that it is not milked in any way

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Yeah this series is not my thing, but there's no way I could say there isn't a ton of effort being put into this new installment of a franchise a lot of people love. It has a good shot at becoming part of a lot of people's favourite game lists.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

There will be ton of stuff to do in the game and the map is gunna be huge.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
Definitely think it's possible. I mean, just watch the gameplay vid + GTA Online video, and there's already enough in that alone. Considering they still haven't revealed a ton of other stuff, I think it might be my favourite game ever.
I-AM-N00B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 I-AM-N00B
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

I'm really excited for GTA5, in fact I've been playing GTA4 to prepare myself for the release! It will be the last current gen game I play and I fully expect it to be the ultimate send off for the greatest generation of gaming ever!

jekyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#10 jekyll
Member since 2002 • 9140 Posts

I dont care what reviews say, the game is going to be amazing. GS will give it an 8 stating the world is too big and there was too much to do which confused them.. everywhere else will give it a 9.5 or 10 stating it's the biggest game world ever with a crazy amount of awesome things to find and do.

Rattlesnake_8

That's about right. It's like GS reviewers purposefully give low scores to generate outrage, and hence, page hits.

chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 chicknfeet
Member since 2004 • 15630 Posts
Didn't really like GTA4 and had to agree with all of the post-review criticizims it got. It just felt tedious to me. Hopefully the devs learned from their mistakes from the last game and put together something that improved on what they had from GTA4.
insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts

If it isn't one of the greatest games ever, chances are it'll be considered a flop.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#13 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

metaknight36
If you like GTA IV dont get your hopes up that GTA V will be the same because it wont be, GTA V is a step back to a more GTA SA kind of game. But i dont think GTA V will be the greatest game ever, that game hasn't and hopefully never will be made. But i do think GTA V will be another hit GTA Game like the rest.
drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

IMO, GTA 5 could very well be the most significant game since Ocarina of Time.

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

If Rockstar actually sticks the landing and manages to execute the vast majority of their design and gameplay aspirations then I expect GTAV to be nothing short of a legitimate game-changer and possibly one of the most innovative titles ever made.

I sincerely believe, based on what I've seen and read, that they are going to effectively leave every other sandbox game (including their own previous titles) in the proverbial wake of this monumental endeavor.

It's difficult not to be hyperbolic when discussing this upcoming game but the sheer scope and size of GTAV coupled with the incredible refinements being made to the core mechanics makes it difficult to mute my personal enthusiasm.

I actually agree with IGN: This generation ends when Rockstar says so.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

I am unsure, I really don't belive in Hype. That said I see alot of really positives and well thought out things in GTA 5, which may put it a good deal in front of all other GTA games IF the systems hold, IF the execution of all the componants works flawlessly.

I doubt it will be less then great, but one of the best games ever? first off no one kan know untill around 5 years+ have gone by. Secondly it woul have to create a genre, or alter how a genre is seen before I would call it one of the best.

GTA 3 pretty much deserves its "one of the greatest" VC and SA improved ,but far from earthshattering, and GTA soon got overtaken in the genre it created.

GTA 4 had alot of good concepts and ideas, but horrible execution, I have ALOT of critique for GTA4 that I would not level to any other GTA game (even 1 and 2). Ultimately I felt that GTA 4 failed horribly (like a main character that has monologues and dialogues that are near anti violent, but you rarely have an oppotunity NOT to be violent to progress the game, not to mention the social shackles of the cast). GTA 4 had alot of polish, but the execution of the subsystems were sub par.

GTA 5 is interresting, I see the potential to retake and even alter the face of open world games, it has the possability to reinvent the series and possibly be one of the bet games ever. I also take note of things written about the game, and shown, that makes me wonder if they can realyl execute on all this.

So: Possibly, hopefully, but somewhat doubtful at the moment of writing.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

drekula2

what do you mean exactly when you say mos significant? Popularity? critical success? innovation?

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

Most likely.

luno-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 luno-gamer
Member since 2007 • 405 Posts
Greatest game ever? I'm going to vote no on that. Furthermore, I don't believe it's going to be nearly as good as people are anticipating. Very few games ever are. I am, however, 100% sure it's going to be very awesome, just like all rockstar's games. It won't be a disappointment in any way, I'm sure. I'm very pumped! It can't come soon enough!
acdc_bag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 acdc_bag
Member since 2013 • 33 Posts
yes it will go down in the history of video games as a highly successful groundbreaking for next gen systems and pushing the power of current consoles/pc. it will be tight. midnight release > 12 pack of beer > then all hell breaks loose until dawn
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

[QUOTE="drekula2"]

Pikminmaniac

what do you mean exactly when you say mos significant? Popularity? critical success? innovation?

All of the above.
ZomBViperKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ZomBViperKing
Member since 2013 • 100 Posts
Anything is possible.
HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

The hype machine is a train I've learned never to board. Truth is critiques are not always 'hate' but sometimes merely overlooked truths from fanboyism. I'm pretty sure GTA V will redeem Rockstar for its disappointing predecessor. One of the greatest games ever?  Only time will tell but I look forward to seeing if the hype matches the actual gameplay.

kickingcarpet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kickingcarpet
Member since 2011 • 570 Posts

Great game yes. Will it score more then a 9? Probably not cnsidering The Last of Us got an 8.0....im expecting a 9 which is a great score for a GREAT game.

TaciturnBengal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TaciturnBengal
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I do not see why not. From all of the videos that I have watched on GTA V, the game gives me the impression that it will be the #1 game that gamers will be getting for Christmas if not at the release date.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#26 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Keep all GTA 5 discussion in the official thread, please.