deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

That the jump from the base PS4/XB1 to current consoles (PS5/XSX) is significant? I say it is, but I hear a lot of gamers say that it isn't.

I've been playing Destiny 2 on my Series X for several months now, and recently unpacked my launch PS4 for a bedroom blu ray player, and decided to download Destiny 2 and play for a bit on that system.

The difference is like night and day, only played one match of crucible and there's no way I could ever go back to playing certain titles on that hardware and a 1080p tv. The fov is so much smaller, the colors so much dimmer, the frame rate like a slide show, and the rez, dimness and blurriness all compared to new gen systems is jarring.

The wi fi card on the base PS4 is like 12 times slower than Series X, with the former d/ling at around 25 mbps compared to the latter at over 300 mbps.

The differences are astounding, would you agree?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11664 Posts

That the jump from the base PS4/XB1 to current consoles (PS5/XSX) is significant? I say it is, but I hear a lot of gamers say that it isn't.

A lot of people who throw those claims own neither, and enjoy stirring false claims and negativity to benefit the persons own purchase choices. It's a form of Buyer's Remorse, they cannot feel good what they invested in, as such they need others to feel bad in what they bought instead.

I have no experience with the last two generation of Xbox so I will describe PS4 to PS5. From my understanding a lot of the benefits I will mention also apply to the Series X as well, so worth keeping that in mind that both new consoles are typically viewed as very good from an owners perspective.

I have after all owned the last three PlayStations from launch so let us get started_

PS4 felt like a budget box, and from the companies perspective this was the correct way to handle the console. The PlayStation 3 was a demanding and challenging box, had complete backwards compatibility but was also an extremely expensive console. Developers struggled to work with this box yet those that pulled it off got away with magic. Most considered this a waste of time and resources thus sold the worst version of any given game on PS3.

For PS4 Sony wanted something cheap and easy to develop for. And they did, sales show this is what majority wanted, though enthusiasts saw this as outdated tech out the gate. So in that light PS4 was customer friendly while being underwhelming from a performance/ technological standpoint. Could not play PS1 or PS2 game, let alone PS3 games. As while some games had 60FPS, they are the minority, I'm not a ***** about 30FPS like some are but games like Bloodborne, one of PS4s highlight gaming experiences, runs horrific inconsistent framerate, it's pretty garbage at its worst.

Overall PS5 is an in-between a PS3 and a PS4. Costs more, performs modern games much better in all areas from loading to framerate, and plays PS4 games (do not expect PS1 or PS2 games though would be nice). I personally believe PS5 is the best of both worlds.

As such PS5 fixes a multitude of the main complaints gamers had with the PS4. Its performance for games is very good. and can play your PS4 games, many improved from loading screens to framerate. In fact from a performance standpoint this is Sony's most competent console I've ever bought.

DuelSense is a pretty excellent controller, I have very little to complain about. I personally like the Switch Pro controller the best among what I use even if it has one of the worst d-pads.

Main complaint I see for a PS5 is-

1) console is ugly and big. Very true, though my console is to play games, not admire the box itself.

2) no new games for the console exclusively. Again true, Nothing really since Rift Apart for those vocal minority who keep tabs about this. Mentioned too often honestly for any given system. If one only plays new games and console exclusive experiences? this is a problem 'I guess'; I do not personally suffer from this obnoxious mindset. I just play games. 95% of the time I do not care if a game is platform exclusive either, regardless of the platform I would play games on. I mean who plays Artifact because it's only on Steam? no sane person, that's who. .

*For anyone curious my modern platforms are P.C. PS5 and Switch. I have nothing against the Xbox, it is more a living space situation in why I do not own one.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#3 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15904 Posts

@RSM-HQ: the whole no games is just system wars trash talks.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RSM-HQ
@sakaixx said:

@RSM-HQ: the whole no games is just system wars trash talks.

Always has been.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#5 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69360 Posts

The responsiveness of the system is noticeable. However, the jump is closer to PS4 to Pro and One to X.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RSM-HQ

*Suppose I should add that I still find paying to play multiplayer terrible and with a lot of people believing this should not be behind a paid subscription. Not to mention PSPlus is not exactly a flawless experience, with many issues over the years.

Have found out a list of over one hundred games does exist on PlayStation that do not require Plus to play online, that's a start I guess. Though I wish it was more often. Do not care for Plus games personally, Sony can keep those for people who want to purchase this model for gaming, would prefer it not forced down my throat because I want to play Monster Hunter with friends.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56035 Posts

After my experience with Spider-Man Miles Morales on PS4 to PS5 which I played both versions, it was clearly day/night between the two versions of the game. PS5 feels like an actual next-gen and here's the problem I'm seeing for most gamers as far as next-gen goes. I have own every consoles in my life time, 6th gen I own every consoles Xbox, PS2, Dreamcast, & Gamecube. 7th gen, Xbox 360, PS3, & Wii. 8th gen, I just own PS4 & Wii U, I didn't get an Xbox One until a year later after seeing major changes in MS, I bought an Xbox One and later on, gave it to my daughter who could benefit more than me due to MS now supporting PC. Current-gen I own Switch and will be getting PS5 next year whenever Forbidden West launches.

I really enjoy my PS4, no regrets at all and probably the best Sony console has ever put out since PS3 IMO. PS5 has SSD for the first time in a console. I'd say the jump from PS4 to PS5 is very noticeable, but gamers need to understand with every next-gen arrives means you gotta be patients to wait for that game to take advantage of the hardware and always keep your expectations low as well.

For me, I have been enjoying Nintendo Switch more so, it feels like an actual innovation console, Nintendo has really step their game up and I still value innovation, just glad to see innovation is still alive in the eyes of console developers to say the least.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RSM-HQ
@davillain- said:

For me, I have been enjoying Nintendo Switch more so, it feels like an actual innovation console, Nintendo has really step their game up and I still value innovation, just glad to see innovation is still alive in the eyes of console developers to say the least.

Only real issue I had with the Switch was the battery life of the OG version, luckily Nintendo released better versions with superior battery life years before this OLED version. And that makes a lot of difference.

Switch is a great system, personally like the DS and 3DS slightly more, however I also really like both those devices. Switch from WiiU is a huge upgrade in terms of hardware quality.

Kizza_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kizza_Soze
Member since 2021 • 448 Posts

Nothing visually has made my mouth agape with wonderment...FC6 is probably the most visually beautiful game I've experienced on my PS5 yet....

But yes, everything looks better for me, but having also upgraded my tv, it should looks better, & I think even my PS4 games look better on said tv.

The main leap for me is the frame rate & smoothness of gameplay in games that run at 60fps. COD is a better experience for me, & I have never finished a campaign in those games & gone on to put so much time into the MP....

I even started playing the zombie modes yesterday & am in love with them after never investing anytime into them before. And I put this newfound COD addiction down to, yes, better visual fidelity, etc...but just that 60fps feel.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

@shadyacshuns: I think Digital Foundry said it’s the biggest generational jump in terms of hardware.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10416 Posts

yeah there's a huge difference from base ps4 to ps5 if you've got a decent tv

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Night and day where it matters:

• Overall system snappiness
  • Frame rates (or at least we have a performance profile)
  • Storage and CPU speed => acceptable downloading and loading
  • No optical drive option

Congrats! Consoles are finally decent computers in 2021. Yay.

I'm sure those who complain about it are the same people who make graphics king threads and post screen shots like we're playing damn slideshows over here in System Wars.

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 732 Posts

The loading times alone are massive.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

I own a Series S currently and even though it's only 3-4 times more powerful than the xbox one I can definitely noticed the jump on that console compared to the base xbox one on my 1080p tv. Loading times are quicker, the games I tried that are optimized for the series s or x look noticeable better than games on last gen consoles. The framerate is also more consistent in these games to compared to last gen.

Bajonsan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bajonsan
Member since 2021 • 14 Posts

Every generation advance is significant. And two things are true, pretty much every time:

1. It's the biggest jump ever, in terms of raw computing horsepower.

2. It's the smallest jump ever, in terms of percentage of change in computing horsepower.

In other words, the power difference between a PS4 and PS5 is 20x larger than the difference between a PS1 and PS2. However, the PS2 was 10x more powerful than the PS1, whereas the PS5 is 3x more powerful than the PS4. These are all made up numbers, by the way, just as examples. And even if they were real, it'd be an oversimplification; there's a lot more to consider than just raw compute cycles.

It's simply the nature of computing advancement. We'll never see a jump as huge as PS1 to PS2 again. The PS1 could never hope to run a recognizable version of, say, Metal Gear Solid 2. But a PS4 can, and does, run very similar versions of a lot of PS5 games. And yet, the PS5 could run MGS2 as an afterthought, many times over, while running a PS4 game.

Either way, though, it's still a "significant" jump. How significant is a matter of perspective.

Vaativids

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Vaativids
Member since 2021 • 337 Posts

No, I for one, don’t find the upgrade very significant. I just wish Xbox didn’t have the power to phase out traditional console generations altogether. That agenda was so masochistic. They won’t go down unless they take the entire industry down with them.