congress passed a bill.it is now a felony to sell "mature" games to mi

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vendettared468

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 vendettared468
Member since 2006 • 4437 Posts
i said "mature" because the actual term that they used was "games with adult content. tHIS bill doesn't have a good chance of being passed though for reason's that i don't remember. something to do with the constitution. what are your thoughts?
Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#3 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts

What? Why can't our government try to improve parenting instead of banning things that one kid screwed it up for? And it wasn't even the primary reason. Hey government, step up!

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts

What? Why can't our government try to improve parenting instead of banning things that one kid screwed it up for? And it wasn't even the primary reason. Hey government, step up!

Video_Game_King

Proposing to charge people who sell rated M games to kids is simply reinforcing the ratings system, which is the tool parents use to judge which games are appropriate for their kids.

It's not the government's job to parent kids, it's their job to make sure systems are in place to make the parents job easier.

I have no problem with this legislation, since it doesn't censor content for gamers of age.

Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#5 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
[QUOTE="Video_Game_King"]

TheCrazed420

Proposing to charge people who sell rated M games to kids is simply reinforcing the ratings system, which is the tool parents use to judge which games are appropriate for their kids.

It's not the government's job to parent kids, it's their job to make sure systems are in place to make the parents job easier.

I have no problem with this legislation, since it doesn't censor content for gamers of age.

But it does support Jack Thompson's assertions. And why does the rating system need reinforcing? It's better than the others, it's just that the parents aren't willing to admit that. Try finding the R on some movies. It's harder than M due to the fact that they do nothing to discern it from the rest of the box. 

atony12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 atony12
Member since 2007 • 960 Posts

wtf they doin this for we already have a law that says u cant buy a "mature" rated game unless ur parent (18 years or older) says its ok i know because my neighbor wanted GTA san andreas and they wouldnt give it to him cause hes 14 so he had to bring his dad to say its ok

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
[QUOTE="TheCrazed420"][QUOTE="Video_Game_King"]

Video_Game_King

But it does support Jack Thompson's assertions. And why does the rating system need reinforcing? It's better than the others, it's just that the parents aren't willing to admit that. Try finding the R on some movies. It's harder than M due to the fact that they do nothing to discern it from the rest of the box. 

I'm just saying that people selling mature games to underage children are undermining the parents, and as a result they should be fined if they do so. If we dont have a system in place that is deemed effective, we will start to see mature games removed completely from shelves, and THAT I am strongly opposed to.

And even though I'm not a parent, I think it's become a little too common and fashionable to blame them these days. A responsible parent will look at the rating on any game their children play, but if the EB/Best Buy clerk is selling him games he shouldn't be, it's making their job a lot harder.

I don't like Jack Thompson at all, but media DOES affect certain people in different ways. That's about all he has right.

mike7677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mike7677
Member since 2006 • 2426 Posts
I said this before, I'll say it again.:  Most retailers have already adopted a system so that these games don't fall into minor's hands.  Hell, I'm as old as I am and I still got carded.

The main blame, and the reason the system is due to the kid's parents.  Kid goes and tries to get the game, clerk won't sell it to him.  He takes it to his mother, who buys it for him, even though the clerk tells her about it.  She could care less.  BTW, this was a true story
L8erSquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 L8erSquare
Member since 2007 • 2599 Posts

Most kids cant buy video games on their own they get their parents to do it for them, and its the bad parenting that these games get into the hands of minors. This bill would not improve the situation. :roll:

Once our generation of gamers get old and start getting sits in the office replacing these current old farts that had never grown up with video games as a part of their life, these kind of situations dealing with videogames may improve. 

Avatar image for My-Name-Is-Matt
My-Name-Is-Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 My-Name-Is-Matt
Member since 2002 • 1904 Posts
In topics like these I think it's helpful to say your age before making a comment. I think this bill is fine, though I am of age, parents have enough to worry about as it is. Retailers not selling M rated games to minors may make some kids angry but in the long run I think it will help.
Avatar image for 203762174820177760555343052357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 203762174820177760555343052357
Member since 2005 • 7599 Posts

everyone keep in mind that this is just a bill. And for those of you who failed history, that means that it has to be passed before it becomes a law.

vendettared468

Then you might want to consider changing your subject.Â