Collectables in video games....are they really necessary?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cometback13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 cometback13
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Recently, I have noticed a trend in video games with collectables. I know they have been around for a couple years, but I just keep thinking to myself...are they really necessary? For example, I am playing L.A. Noire, an amazing game to say the least, but you have to collect 50 film reels, 95 (really?) cars, visit 30 landmarks, and look at 13 newspapers. I, for one, am a playstation trophy hunter. I love the feeling of the accomplishment of getting a certain trophy, like beating Black Ops on veteran, or Uncharted on Crushing. The collectable trophies are just a HUGE pain in the tail. Another example, I loved the game called Enslaved: Odyssey to the West...but to get the platinum, you have to collect all the masks and the tech orbs that are spread out through the game. It just makes it boring and you really don't want to go for the platinum. The only game that I know that got it right was Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom. Every area you went into had a hint for where the collectables are. I loved that. Why can't every game have it? I don't know about other gamers, but I don't want to go to a FAQ website to see where all the collectables are. I just wish publishers like Rockstar, Activistion, etc, would look into how better gamers can obtain the collectables. Instead of mindlessly looking for them or relying on a FAQ.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#2 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Collectibles can be fun to get. They can extend the life of the game and if used creatively can make the game more interesting and enjoyable. I used to spend hours going after everything in games, but my backlog is just so extensive that I have a hard time being compelled to do that anymore. I can't even be bothered to go after all the puzzle pieces in every level in Donkey Kong Country Returns.
cometback13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 cometback13
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
You're right. They can be fun to get if done properly ( i.e Majin) or if it rewarded you somehow instead of a trophy. Sometimes they are just a huge pain.
theSteeeeels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 theSteeeeels
Member since 2011 • 520 Posts
if you dont think the trophy wont be fun/challenging to get then why waste your time? why complain? just dont do them
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#5 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

When collectibles lead to real, tangible rewards, they are worth getting. When it's something like the Coffee Thermoses in Alan Wake, it's pointless in my eyes.

TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
Depends on the game. I love collecting everything I can find in games like Banjo Tooie or DK64 but I hate the forced collecting of Sonic Unleashed. Then there are games like Ultimate Spiderman where you have a choice to collect tokens to unlock suits.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#7 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
if you dont think the trophy wont be fun/challenging to get then why waste your time? why complain? just dont do themtheSteeeeels
It's a compulsion for some people. Right now, I have a friend who's playing on FOUR different Xbox 360s hooked together just so he can artificially get a rank SS and get one stupid achievement.
TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheMoreYouOwn
Member since 2010 • 3927 Posts
I find them fun. Not necessary, but I guess there's nothing stopping someone from not collecting them all.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Nothing wrong with trying to extend replay value in a game.

V-Act

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 V-Act
Member since 2005 • 660 Posts

Deppends, a little extra gameplay ain´t wrong right?

Avatar image for der_spudmeister
der_spudmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11 der_spudmeister
Member since 2005 • 607 Posts
It's a compulsion for some people. Right now, I have a friend who's playing on FOUR different Xbox 360s hooked together just so he can artificially get a rank SS and get one stupid achievement. JustPlainLucas
While I am one of those people who simply must find every collectible and secret in a game, I don't think I'm that hopeless, and I certainly don't do it for the achievements :P I think that for me it started back on the Nintendo 64 days where good games were released few and far between and were really expensive for a 12 years old, so I tried to get my penny's worth out of every game by finding every secret. Obviously I'm more inclined to find the collectibles if there's a reward attached to it and even then I only do it for the games I really enjoy. I think Batman: Arkham Asylum, for example, handled the collectibles extremely well. @ TC: I also think that some Rockstar games have done good on leading people to collectibles. Red Dead Redemption's treasure hunt was neatly done, in Bully you can unlock a map with all the collectibles shown on it, and I think in GTA IV there was a website that showed the location of every pigeon.
UnrealLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 UnrealLegend
Member since 2009 • 5888 Posts

I don't mind them. And Batman: Arkham Asylum had them done perfectly. I loved them. :)

Cathartic93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Cathartic93
Member since 2010 • 89 Posts

I rarely care about collectibles, but I appreciate it when they give you some kind of reward other than 15G.

Infamous did a decent job with the blast shards, where you became more powerful the more you collected. 350 might have been a little excessive though, especially when you have 2 left and no clue where to look.

Also, been playing Sly Collection, and the bottles gives you new moves if you find all of them in any given level.

As long as there is incentive I have no problem, but 100 feathers for a goddamn cape? F-U AssCreed.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#14 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

No, these things are just there to lengthen the lifespan of a game a bit. The pinnacle of such lazy game design was San Andreas, where on every island you had to collect a ton of arbitrary items you couldn't possibly find without a guide telling you exactly where they are.

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#15 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

I love collectibles. Take the bobbleheads from Fallout 3. They are fun to search for and then also improve your character. Dont even get me started on the Playboy magazines from Mafia 2 :D

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#16 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I played Enslaved and those tech orbs really took a lot of the fun out of it. Instead of focusing on what I was doing in the game, I had to spend all my time searching every nook and cranny of every environment for those stupid things.

If they can make those collectibles into something that makes sense in the context of the game, that's one thing. But collectibles just for the sake of collectibles...rotten idea.

xxKai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 xxKai
Member since 2011 • 2689 Posts

Well if you're a Ps trophy lover then you gotta just do the time man :P Although I do agree that it can be downright ridiculous and always ends up with me takin out teh internet

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Hmmm...i haven't gotten all the room decoration in Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance...

But yes,depending on the game and ur tastes,it can be cool.

Esp. on Zelda games :D

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#19 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I just dont have the patience to go hunting for tons of collectibles in most games.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#20 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

its works better in some games than others. i loved exploring the great sea in wind waker looking for heart pieces, extra bottles, ammo upgrades, and the like. exploration was already intrinsically rewarding and those extrinsic rewards were tangible.

collecting film reels in l.a. noire isnt much fun though. i think its telling that i only found 1 film over the course of my playthrough. the city is meant to be explored by car and you will practically never find and films that way. good thing its completely optional. newspaper collecting worked much better as those were in crime scenes that youd scour anyway. plus they tell a significant amount of the story, so you want to find them.

Atmanix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Atmanix
Member since 2009 • 6927 Posts

I love them. I remember searching for days for all of the missles and such in Super Metroid.

Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts
The only thing necessary in a video game are two sticks that are supposed to be players and a square that is supposed to be a ball. Everything beyond that are just details to make the game appeal to the audience. So are collectables.
LazyMushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LazyMushroom
Member since 2011 • 914 Posts

Most of the time I can't be bothered with collectables.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#24 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

Ulg I hate collectables, I never try to do them but if I realy like to collect them for achievements thenI will use a guide on the pc.

shinian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 shinian
Member since 2005 • 6871 Posts

I hate them with passion.

RoOodriGowW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RoOodriGowW
Member since 2008 • 3309 Posts

Absolutley hate them.They ruin your playthrough , you miss out on things , last example was homefront , I know the story doesn't help but still , looking at the youtube videos and searching them in the screen made me completely clueless about what was going on.

dawso0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dawso0n
Member since 2005 • 1767 Posts

i hate collectibles especially if you get nothing for them bar an achievements. the only games i have played that have done collectibles right is uncharted 1&2 and Batman AA. Every other game that does collectibles it just seems to be a choir

jirca87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jirca87
Member since 2005 • 539 Posts

I'd say it depends entirely on the collectables and how they are incorporated. For example, the collectables in Batman Arkham Asylum were handled very well and so were the manuscripts in Alan Wake - they actually added more to the game and weren't just there for inflated replay. However, if it's something like the thermoses in AW or the flags in Assassin's Creed then it's pointless and shouldn't be included.

Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

If the collectables are rewarding in some way then yes, they're an amazing addition. Look at Animal Crossing for a good example. I like also like item/material grinding in games to forge weaponry & armour; Monster Hunter is an amazing example of this.

plain_blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 plain_blue
Member since 2011 • 30 Posts
Collectibles can be a viable addition to almost any game, if they're used wisely. They're making it possible for the player to decide mid-game, whether he/she needs more challange or he/she's fine without collecting things. You can also decide whether you'll just quickly run through the game (enjoying the mix of the story and action) or you'll dip deeper and work harder to achieve 100% (which will cause more satisfaction in the end). Though if you need to find large numbers of collectibles to complete a game, then it's likely you're facing some cheap tactics from the devs to make the gamelength wider without adding any serious content (similar to grinding in most MMOs).
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

They had them before achievements. There is no reason to dislike them as long as they are not force to get them all.

JohnnyWPSP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#32 JohnnyWPSP
Member since 2009 • 1895 Posts

I dont mind them. The best ones are the ones that offer information to the story of the game or can be viewed in a showroom.

atm0073

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 atm0073
Member since 2005 • 3069 Posts
I'm not really against them since I consider myself a die-hard completionist/perfectionist. And I guess their incentive varies between games: BioShock 2's Audio Logs, for example, are much more worthy of finding than, say, GTA IV's pigeons -- but completion aspects are a staple of Rockstar games and will always be there in some form. It all depends on the person, I guess, but there are some games where the implementation of collectibles could (have been) better. Like Assassin's Creed I... oh my goodness, I needn't elaborate.
Avatar image for juliankennedy23
juliankennedy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#34 juliankennedy23
Member since 2005 • 894 Posts

Outside of Mafia 2 I never really understood the appeal of collectables. (I'm looking your way Assassin's Creed.)

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

I generally likes collectables, but a lot of games implement them annoyingly i.e. having no checklist or marker to indicate whether you've gotten a certain collectable item or not in certain areas. That manages to spoil parts of otherwise great games.

Weenski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 Weenski
Member since 2011 • 990 Posts
I think the treasures in the Uncharted series are good because they 'glint'; you can spot most of them through the corner of your eye as you play.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#37 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

I've always found them pointless. I've never seen the fun in every back alley to find unnecessary items.

JonathanL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#38 JonathanL
Member since 2002 • 22123 Posts

I like the addition of extras in games. I don't normally go for all of them, but I like to collect some of them before I eventually lose interest. I like the way Assassin's Creed went about it, with a bit extra, but nothing hguely major, for hunting down stuff in-game.