Coaxial Audio to Optical Audio

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by AVIS93 (338 posts) -

Hello,

I'm looking to buy in the following weeks a 2.1 Bose Home Theater system, specifically this one. The issue is that the Bose system only has an Optical Audio input while my TV only has a Coaxial Audio Out. I was looking for a Coaxial to Optical Audio Converter, but I've been wondering if that actually works. Will there be any audio quality loss if I use a converter? Or should I get a different TV instead that has an Optical Audio Output?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Posted by MonsieurX (36872 posts) -

Step 1: Don't buy BOSE.

Problem solved!

#3 Edited by Old_Gooseberry (3957 posts) -

I doubt theres any noticeable quality loss. I think the converted would require to be plugged in though since its converting the coaxial rca to optical, but it doubt it uses much power, 1-2 watts at most. So don't worry about quality loss.

#4 Posted by AVIS93 (338 posts) -

@Old_Gooseberry: Thanks a lot! I'll search for a converter at a Best Buy or a similar electronics store since I'm staying in the US for a month. Any other places you recommend where I could find one?

#5 Edited by Old_Gooseberry (3957 posts) -

@AVIS93 said:

@Old_Gooseberry: Thanks a lot! I'll search for a converter at a Best Buy or a similar electronics store since I'm staying in the US for a month. Any other places you recommend where I could find one?

I actually never bought one before, my brother was the one that bought one before.

But from doing quick searches at bestbuy, futureshop, dx.com, and any other site i came up with hits. Even likely ncix or tigerdirect, radio shack/thesource etc sells them also.

just search from "coaxial to optical" and you'll get results... range from like 15-50 dollars depending on where you look.

#6 Posted by AVIS93 (338 posts) -

@Old_Gooseberry: I'll search a few stores in this town as soon as I get the chance. If not, maybe I'll order from Amazon. Thanks for the help!

#7 Edited by AVIS93 (338 posts) -

@Old_Gooseberry: I found at a local store something called "Y Audio Cable", which is a Mini-Stereo Plug to RCA Plugs. The Bose system I'm looking to buy does have two stereo inputs, the red and white ones, which I suppose are the RCA plugs. Could I connect the Mini-Stereo Plug to my TV's Coaxial Audio Out? Is that a viable solution as well? I was very tempted to buy this since it was only 7 dollars, but I wanted to make sure it works for my situation.

#8 Edited by Old_Gooseberry (3957 posts) -

Digital coaxial output may not output it correctly to the stereo using a cord like that. Its very unlikely it would be able to output it from digital to stereo using only that cord. It probably would have to be converted with a device.

I did a quick test just now with an old dvd player i had that had coaxial output and I couldn't hear a single thing through it. I used an rca cord and converted it into headphones just like that cord would do.

So that cord won't likely work. It didn't for me in my test i did.

#9 Edited by AVIS93 (338 posts) -

@Old_Gooseberry: Thanks for the help, I do appreciate it. I'll go this week after watching the E3 coverage to a Best Buy.