CNN thinks Wii U is a Wii Peripheral.Runs a story saying Wii U cant save the Wii

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

And that this new controller/peripheral wont save it. :lol:

twefc.png

Saw this in the Nintendo E3 thread but thought this deserves a new thread. This is hilarious. It shows how awful Nintendo has been showing off this new console TWO YEARS IN A ROW. This is unbelievable. I mean it's embarrassing for CNN but a disaster for Nintendo who is trying to sell this console to the masses and needs news media like CNN to relay that messages to the mainstream audience.

#2 Posted by ChikaraShref (4721 posts) -
its not?
#3 Posted by Jackboot343 (2574 posts) -

CNN is aging. And Anderson Cooper won't save it
Two years in a row and they still can't get it right. Shows how awful CNN is

#4 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
:lol:
#5 Posted by Lucianu (10283 posts) -

Saw this in the Nintendo E3 thread but thought this deserves a new thread. This is hilarious. It shows how awful Nintendo has been showing off this new console TWO YEARS IN A ROW. This is unbelievable. I mean it's embarrassing for CNN but a disaster for Nintendo who is trying to sell this console to the masses and needs news media like CNN to relay that messages to the mainstream audience.

S0lidSnake

My God, who ever wrote that is stupid as hell, and the fact that, as a reporter, its his duty to inform himself before writting just makes it worse. He could have done a quick 20 second check on the net by googling Wii U, if the conferences & dev. interviews which literally pointed to the fact that it's a new console didn't make it clear enough.

#6 Posted by ChikaraShref (4721 posts) -

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

Lucianu

My God, who ever wrote that is stupid as hell, and the fact that, as a reporter, its his duty to inform himself before writting just makes it worse. He could have done a quick 20 second check on the net by googling Wii U, if the conferences & dev. interviews which literally pointed to the fact that it's a new console didn't make it clear enough.

sounds like he had a hands-on. if you can't tell from that, i'd say the error is on nintendo, not the reporter.
#7 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

They got it all wrong. They should fix the news and appologize if they're consistent.

#8 Posted by Dracula68 (33109 posts) -
I remember when the original playstation was coming out some folks touting it as a kids toy. They had no clue it was a video game system.
#9 Posted by Oleg_Huzwog (21885 posts) -

Sounds like Nintendo sent some terrible PR reps to the expo.

#10 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25164 posts) -

One of several possibilities:

• He does not have a Wii, does not play games, and therefore doesn't notice the high resolution graphics capabilities of the WiiU CONSOLE.
  • He was not listening to Nintendo when they stated several times at E3 that WiiU was a new console and not a controller for the old Wii.
  • WiiU console being backwards compatible with Wii controllers and balance board confused his delicate brain.
  • He is trolling Nintendo and having a good time reading comments.

I think the latter. Sadly he is trolling, he must be because:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38580939&postcount=235

#11 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -
honestly I still don't get what the Wii u is it's a tablet console? is it a handheld? does it connect to the Wii? I can't be the only one confused about this
#12 Posted by osan0 (15019 posts) -
i thought this kind of sheer madness was supposed to be contained in SW :P. big oops on CNNs part. understandable last year but its been very well documented by now.
#13 Posted by Archangel3371 (23851 posts) -
:lol: While I'm sure this reporter could have done a much better job I really can't help but feel that Nintendo has brought this upon themselves what with the naming conventions of there products, especially starting with the Wii and it's numerous peripherals, and the serious lack of info with the Wii U. Even at E3 all they held up was the tablet controller while the actual system just sat quietly in the background.
#14 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
It's CNN.
#15 Posted by Lucianu (10283 posts) -

sounds like he had a hands-on. if you can't tell from that, i'd say the error is on nintendo, not the reporter.ChikaraShref

I can understand casuals and the average Joe being confused, Nintendo clearly didn't learn from last year. But this is journalism, and he made a fundamental mistake. It's also ben a damn year since the Wii-U was announced. There is no excuse, except that he is either trolling or an idiot that failed to do his job (research).

This brings up another thing. If they can mess up something as relatively simple as this, one can only imagine what they might f*k up wen more complex coverage is concerned.

#16 Posted by nini200 (11484 posts) -
LOL :lol: and people listen to reviews
#17 Posted by BuryMe (22017 posts) -

Just goes to show that Nintendo should have dropped that ridiculous name for the console.

#18 Posted by blueboxdoctor (2549 posts) -

I've barely followed the Wii-U and still I know it's a seperate gaming console with a tablet controller that I won't comment on either way until I play it (as initial thoughts aren't positive, but who knows, it could be pretty cool, and IDK what it does in terms of portable gaming linking to the console, so it may be pretty cool, and at the very least will have really good platformers).

Just goes to show (yet again) that mainstream news media really has to stop covering video games.

#19 Posted by megam (457 posts) -

I can understand casuals and the average Joe being confused, Nintendo clearly didn't learn from last year. But this is journalism, and he made a fundamental mistake. It's also ben a damn year since the Wii-U was announced. There is no excuse, except that he is either trolling or an idiot that failed to do his job (research).

This brings up another thing. If they can mess up something as relatively simple as this, one can only imagine what they might f*k up wen more complex coverage is concerned.

Lucianu

The "journalist" is an idiot, but unfortunately, it's not illegal for newspeople to outright lie in the United States.

#20 Posted by Megavideogamer (6367 posts) -

The people who wrote this story at CNN are not gamers and this shows. Or Nintendo still hasn't fully been able to explain that the Wii U is a different videogame console from it's predessor the Nintendo Wii.

So both CNN and Nintendo failed. Nintendo should have changed the name of the console in order to showcase that the Wii u is Nintendo's 6th home console. not just a add on to Wii.

#21 Posted by Morphic (4345 posts) -

lol sounds like someone skipped E3 and went drinking and hookering and had to whip up something last minute.

#22 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -
The article's hilarious, but the nursing home residents and soccer moms who are Nintendo's primary audience (it wasn't Mario or even Zelda that drove sales, it was Wii Sports) aren't paying attention at this point so it doesn't matter.
#23 Posted by Articuno76 (19784 posts) -

honestly I still don't get what the Wii u is it's a tablet console? is it a handheld? does it connect to the Wii? I can't be the only one confused about thisrilpas
This. As much as people might flame you or assume you are trolling, Nintendo really hasn't handled the image of the Wii U very well. People, generally speaking, aren't really sure what it is about. It's a concept that is really difficult to convey properly. Heck, Nintendo had an hour long conference and several games and people still left feeling that they didn't 'get it'. It's not as simply as the motion-controlled 'replicate real-life motions' angle the Wii had (which was both simple to convey and easy to understand).

They still have several months until launch and will no doubt be touring news outlets as they did the with Wii. At the moment Nintendo's angle is 'it plays casual games, and hardcore games, it has regular controls, and motion controls, and NFC reading, and a camera, and a touchscreen...'. That hodge-podge of features may be exciting to developers but to the average consumer they are left pondering '....so...what does it actually do?...'

#24 Posted by yagr_zero (27850 posts) -
Oh that's funny.
#25 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6365 posts) -

lol

non-gamer writing an article

#26 Posted by DJ_Lae (42748 posts) -
Funny, but not all that surprising given how Nintendo's handled WiiU announcements as well as the (awful) name itself. It's very much akin to the DSi, which was a slightly revised name for a slightly revised version of the DS. Having said that, whoever wrote the article obviously did very little research, but the fact that the WiiU is not immediately seen as a new console by non-gamers is not a good sign for Nintendo.
#27 Posted by Overlord93 (12602 posts) -
The mistake is in the name. And the appearence of the system itself. Same mistake as they made with the 3DS
#28 Posted by N-REAL (2449 posts) -

The article's hilarious, but the nursing home residents and soccer moms who are Nintendo's primary audience (it wasn't Mario or even Zelda that drove sales, it was Wii Sports) aren't paying attention at this point so it doesn't matter.CarnageHeart

This man speaks the truth.

Oh and.....you stole my avatar !!!!! :lol:

I'll say this once : Wii and WiiU are kiddified consoles....I don't care for nintendo and their kiddie s h i t. :x

#29 Posted by BranKetra (51726 posts) -
For shame CNN.
#30 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

ROFL massive fail! This is why sites like CNN and Yahoo just need to stay out of E3...

#31 Posted by Another48h0urs (27 posts) -
I don't know why they keep hiding the console, does it look like a 360 oir something and they don't want to be humiliated? Controller is fine, but, see, the console, it, needs, you, know, uh, like, really needs, to, be shown, for the launch, nintendo.
#32 Posted by Modern_Fit (146 posts) -
CNN must have the best research team of any of the big media companies.
#33 Posted by coasterguy65 (7133 posts) -

Aw bless their heart...a news site that caters to 60 year olds trying to write an article about one of those new fangled video games.

They need to stick with stuff they know about..Murder she wrote reruns, Andy Griffith, and CSI.

#34 Posted by punkpunker (3383 posts) -

this is why naming a new console with an added vowel confuse people...

#35 Posted by iHarlequin (1928 posts) -

I'm sorry, but I'm a regular man - no journalist with their 'duty' to report the truth - and I knew the Wii U was a new console, not a pad, from the moment it was announced. It's not Nintendo's fault they're dealing with a reporter who either:

a) CNN's on Microsoft's/Sony's payroll; deliberately made a story that would implicate the Wii U is so little of an improvement that it could pass off as just another controller.

or

b) Read and watched absolutely nothing concerning the Wii U and Nintendo.

I fail to see how this is, other than as fanboy ammunition, is a disaster for Nintendo.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
#36 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (21090 posts) -
It's not a Wii peripheral. It's something much, much worse: ...another Wii
#38 Posted by Blake135 (3994 posts) -

I'm sorry, but I'm a regular man - no journalist with their 'duty' to report the truth - and I knew the Wii U was a new console, not a pad, from the moment it was announced. It's not Nintendo's fault they're dealing with a reporter who either:

a) CNN's on Microsoft's/Sony's payroll; deliberately made a story that would implicate the Wii U is so little of an improvement that it could pass off as just another controller.

or

I fail to see how this is, other than as fanboy ammunition, is a disaster for Nintendo.

iHarlequin

I stopped reading there..Your not a Regular *man* your far from it, your posting in a Gaming Website how are you a average person ? The average person who bought a Wii probably only saw Ads or heard it from word of mouth from another, they don't check websites for the latest news updates on games and consoles. Most people will probably think the WiiU is a Addon and once they see the price tag they will wonder what is the point since some might already own a Ipad. That is just my 2cents and it will be Nintendo's job with their marketing to make sure people know the difference.

#39 Posted by iHarlequin (1928 posts) -

[QUOTE="iHarlequin"]

or

Blake135

I stopped reading there..Your not a Regular *man* your far from it, your posting in a Gaming Website how are you a average person ? The average person who bought a Wii probably only saw Ads or heard it from word of mouth from another, they don't check websites for the latest news updates on games and consoles. Most people will probably think the WiiU is a Addon and once they see the price tag they will wonder what is the point since some might already own a Ipad. That is just my 2cents and it will be Nintendo's job with their marketing to make sure people know the difference.

... and whatever information I got from posting on a gaming website you can get with fifteen seconds on google. What I'm saying is, the fact that the Wii U is a console isn't an obscure one. You didn't get what I meant by regular person, either: I was saying that he is a reporter - and I am not. A game forum poster shouldn't know more than him - it's clearly his fault, not Nintendo's. I don't know if it's like that where you live, but people here are generally less ignorant than to think the Wii U is a console rather than an addon - as I said, it isn't obscure knowledge...

#40 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

Amazes me how some people are so stupid.

#41 Posted by Sagacious_Tien (12562 posts) -
I don't really blame them (though they should research better). At last years E3, I got the feeling that the Wii U controller was only a controller for the Wii, and at this years E3 I didn't really get the feeling of a new console. Hyping the controller worked for the Wii, as it was clearly different than the Gamecube. Doing the same thing twice just muddies the point they are trying to make, especially considering how similar the consoles names are.
#42 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
This took simple research, and they got it wrong? What a facepalm moment for this guy.
#43 Posted by FoxeoGames (55 posts) -

What's interesting is that the Nintendo Wii has still outsold both of its competitors, and yet CNN tries to act as if its a failed console.

Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
#44 Posted by deactivated-57af49c27f4e8 (14149 posts) -
well they should have changed the name. that's part of what makes it confusing.
#45 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Jimmy Fallon spent hands-on time with the Wii U and also came away believing it was a Wii accessory...

http://kotaku.com/5918946/jimmy-fallon-thought-the-wii-u-was-a-wii-peripheral

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
#46 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

Wait, it's not an accessory? But it's still called Wii and uses Wii remotes...

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
#47 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

What's interesting is that the Nintendo Wii has still outsold both of its competitors, and yet CNN tries to act as if its a failed console.

FoxeoGames

It IS a failed console. It left the market in disgraceful shape. Selling hardware doesn't do one bit of goddamn good if said hardware doesn't move software. Third parties would have DIED if the Wii was the sole platform for them to rely on. It would have crashed the market. A hundred million units sold and the damn thing doesn't have one title in the charts for months. It was a success for one company only: Nintendo. The PS2, selling similar numbers by comparison, continued to be a vibrant platform for profitable games even long after it was considered dead. I don't know how anyone can consider the Wii anything but a net negative for the industry.

EDIT: in fact, it wasn't even good for Nintendo. The system cost them their first yearly operating loss in company history.