Cliffy B said GoW downloads would be free, but the new map isnt, MS behind this?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hellomotto1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 hellomotto1
Member since 2007 • 203 Posts
I was wondering when i bought HIDDEN FRONTS for GoW why it cost me Microsoft Points...is it because the GoW department wants the profit, or because MS wants to rake in some money for one of the best selling games of the year? YOU ANSWER WITH YOUR OPINIONS!!
Sparky04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Sparky04
Member since 2006 • 3390 Posts
It has been stated that is is Microsofts doing. Epic thought it would be more benefical to the game to have free downloads. Microsoft thought diffrently. Very annoying.
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#3 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
yeah...its microsoft. You see Epic release free downloads for their PC games and stuff, you know they would do that for the 360...but i guess not. Thats why i dont download anything on the XBLM.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

It's undoubtedly Microsoft's doing. Epic has pretty much come out and said so, and since they've never charged for additional content before, it makes me believe them.

Pretty ballsy on Microsoft's part, too - but also incredibly stupid. Seeing as Epic pretty much saved Christmas for the 360. I wonder how this might affect future relations between the two companies. Epic is a 300 metric ton gorilla now that everyone and their mother is using UE3 to make games. Microsoft would be wise not to piss off ANY allies at this point, but especially not Epic. Pissing off the people who made the best-looking game for their system seems incredibly short-sighted to me, especially now that we're seeing what Halo 3 looks like. Gears is still the benchmark for next-gen graphics, and without it, Microsoft would be in a much worse position perception-wise.

Then again, this is expected. Microsoft has proven that time and again, they are more interested in reaching into your pocket and nickel and diming you to death via Marketplace. It's not a matter of if, but when this practice will come back to bite them in the butt. But I will enjoy watching it happen.

Sparky04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sparky04
Member since 2006 • 3390 Posts

It's undoubtedly Microsoft's doing. Epic has pretty much come out and said so, and since they've never charged for additional content before, it makes me believe them.

Pretty ballsy on Microsoft's part, too - but also incredibly stupid. Seeing as Epic pretty much saved Christmas for the 360. I wonder how this might affect future relations between the two companies. Epic is a 300 metric ton gorilla now that everyone and their mother is using UE3 to make games. Microsoft would be wise not to piss off ANY allies at this point, but especially not Epic.

Shame-usBlackley

BUt then agian Microsoft right now probably has enough power to run a small country :P 

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Shame-usBlackley

It's undoubtedly BUt then agian Microsoft right now probably has enough power to run a small country :P 

Sparky04

Microsoft the company does, but Microsoft the console maker is about to find itself in second place before fall's end, and they aren't exactly doing a whole lot better sales-wise than the $600 hogtied PS3.

In other words, Microsoft is in NO position to go bullying developers into changing their business practices. They are still very vulnerable, and their direct competition has done a better job of hurting itself more than Microsoft has done a bang-up job of capturing marketshare. If Sony had come to the party at $400, Microsoft would've been tanked already, in my opinion.

Acenso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Acenso
Member since 2006 • 2355 Posts
To be honest...Im sure Epic if they wanted could have forced it to be free. But I'm guessing they saw this as a chance to rake in some cash and not look bad at it. They can sit back and blame MS, saying they were the ones who did it. When really Epic is just playing innocent and doing a happy dance. They keep face and get a nice cut
soultron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 soultron
Member since 2007 • 113 Posts
To be honest...Im sure Epic if they wanted could have forced it to be free. But I'm guessing they saw this as a chance to rake in some cash and not look bad at it. They can sit back and blame MS, saying they were the ones who did it. When really Epic is just playing innocent and doing a happy dance. They keep face and get a nice cutAcenso
I have to agree. Epic knows that there is money out there. They're smart to try and squeeze as much money out of Gears before Halo 3 drops, anyways. After that point, Gears DLC might as well become free because the returns will be much smaller.
Korn_Wallace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Korn_Wallace
Member since 2002 • 1950 Posts

This looks like a conflict of corporate philosophy between the two. The people at Epic should have know that by giving Microsoft the publishing rights to this game that essentially Microsoft would be the judge, jury and executioner when it cameto the downloadable content on XBox Live. This shouldn't have been a surprise to Epic as it's happened before. I believe Bungie wanted to give the Halo 2 downloadable maps for free as well, but had to compromise them as payed downloads for a few months as well.

I know Microsoft wants to maximize their return on this game and I don't know how annoyed Epic really is about this, but there is something to be said for keeping good relations with developers. Sure, Microsoft provided the platform for this game, but the talented people at Epic are the ones who created it.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#10 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

To be honest...Im sure Epic if they wanted could have forced it to be free. But I'm guessing they saw this as a chance to rake in some cash and not look bad at it. They can sit back and blame MS, saying they were the ones who did it. When really Epic is just playing innocent and doing a happy dance. They keep face and get a nice cutAcenso

How can Epic force it? It's Microsoft's service. And Epic wouldn't be going just against Microsoft, but also EA, Activision, Sega, and every other money-grubbing big publisher out there. There's too much corporate interest in this "downloadable economy" to succeed, a single independant developer simply doesn't stand a chance. Also, how do you explain the fact that Epic never, ever charged for any additional content before this?

danmp18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 danmp18
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts

I think this is more the case of MS wanting to run a consistent service.  If they start giving too many things away for free they begin to set a precedent that would lead their customers to expect more free stuff in the future and would alter what we thought of as value.  Always remember that MS is a buisness and is trying to make money.  If they could sell you an empty box they would.  It's all about how people view value.  MS saw value in the Gears maps and knew that their customers would as well.  They just don't want to undermine the perception of value that they have developed with XBL.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I don't have a deep problem paying for additional content if such content was developed post release as opposed to developed before the game was shipped and then withheld.

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts

I think this is more the case of MS wanting to run a consistent service.  If they start giving too many things away for free they begin to set a precedent that would lead their customers to expect more free stuff in the future and would alter what we thought of as value.  Always remember that MS is a buisness and is trying to make money.  If they could sell you an empty box they would.  It's all about how people view value.  MS saw value in the Gears maps and knew that their customers would as well.  They just don't want to undermine the perception of value that they have developed with XBL.

danmp18

Cliffy and Epic definitely wanted the content to be free, as he threatened to take Gears of War 2 over to the PS3 due to MS's restrictions on Epic's own content

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43998 Posts
Well there is somewhat of a silver-lining and that's that the content will be free after Sept. 3rd. It's moments like these where consumers have the opportunity to hold out and wait until then to show just what kind of limits companies should expect. I didn't hold out myself but I'm somewhat of a sucker. :P If it's any consolation I did find it to be at least in the somewhat acceptable range compared to some other content found in Marketplace.
Vendead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Vendead
Member since 2006 • 368 Posts
ya it totally MS b/c Epic has been quoted that they want to give the dowloads away for free cuz of all the ppl buying the game, but MS want to charge for the downloads.  It been rumored that CliffyB has threated MS to port GoW over to the PS3 cuz of the restrictions.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#17 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

It isn't really an opinion (as far as I know.).

Big companies like EA are charging MS Points for just about everything...then you've got a "competitor" who releases the stuff for free. It makes EA look like con artists.

MS couldn't handle that loss, I guess, so they made a compromise with Epic.

Free after September "some date," but 800 MS Points until then.  

Acenso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Acenso
Member since 2006 • 2355 Posts
[QUOTE="danmp18"]

I think this is more the case of MS wanting to run a consistent service. If they start giving too many things away for free they begin to set a precedent that would lead their customers to expect more free stuff in the future and would alter what we thought of as value. Always remember that MS is a buisness and is trying to make money. If they could sell you an empty box they would. It's all about how people view value. MS saw value in the Gears maps and knew that their customers would as well. They just don't want to undermine the perception of value that they have developed with XBL.

HiResDes

Cliffy and Epic definitely wanted the content to be free, as he threatened to take Gears of War 2 over to the PS3 due to MS's restrictions on Epic's own content

Actually...That was proven to be made up by some fanboy.

Epic responded to it already saying it was...Bull**** 

hellomotto1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hellomotto1
You could all be right for all i know, however, keep in mind that GoW has already had one multiplayer FREE download...why would they decide to do this now? Maybe they made the first one free because they wanted to bring in buyers...also EA is not quite in the spotlight like UBISOFT and EPIC at the moment and they are funding money for their upcoming games so they are in a bit off a corner when it comes to charging...but EPIC should have no intention of this...but something seems fishy!!
Wellfedmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Wellfedmonkey
Member since 2006 • 1477 Posts
As long as Epic is getting some of the $$$ for the maps then Im happy cause they did such a good job on Gears. I have no problems with giving out money towards game companies as I personnelly know how hard it is to develop games and or break them on time. Everybody always complaines about the nickel and diming but yet, nobody is making you download them. Nobody said gaming is cheap, just expensive. We would all like hand me outs but thats gonna only happen far and few between.
hellomotto1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hellomotto1
dido...I LIKE THE AMOUNT OF POSTS BEING PUT HERE..also if you guys like off topic threads check my 'most akward situation' thread under the off topic section...howver, i hope you guys find this topic interesting as well
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Shame-usBlackley

As long as Epic is getting some of the $$$ for the maps then Im happy cause they did such a good job on Gears. I have no problems with giving out money towards game companies as I personnelly know how hard it is to develop games and or break them on time. Everybody always complaines about the nickel and diming but yet, nobody is making you download them. Nobody said gaming is cheap, just expensive. We would all like hand me outs but thats gonna only happen far and few between.Wellfedmonkey

Which makes it all the more frustrating when a developer wants to spend that time and money and make the content free but is told no by the company whose hardware it's running on.

Epic has always done business that way, with the belief that the added content would equate to more people buying the game at retail and a happy base that continues to play it. This is a battle of business models, but it's also a battle of greed. Microsoft being the company that they are saw that 5 million copies of a game had sold and simply couldn't control themselves from making their one bona-fide smash hit into a goddamn microtransaction milk-fest.

It's almost akin to alcoholism, but with money. Five million Gears customers was like an alcoholic being asked to hold someone's scotch and soda for Microsoft.

hellomotto1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hellomotto1
you are so right yet i cant completely understand why a MAJOR company like MS would be this greedy...i mean they have to give their producers freedom to do what they want...likewise they are the people who made the xbox and 360 so BIG
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Pretty ballsy on Microsoft's part, too - but also incredibly stupid. Seeing as Epic pretty much saved Christmas for the 360. I wonder how this might affect future relations between the two companies. Epic is a 300 metric ton gorilla now that everyone and their mother is using UE3 to make games. Microsoft would be wise not to piss off ANY allies at this point, but especially not Epic. Pissing off the people who made the best-looking game for their system seems incredibly short-sighted to me, especially now that we're seeing what Halo 3 looks like. Gears is still the benchmark for next-gen graphics, and without it, Microsoft would be in a much worse position perception-wise.

Then again, this is expected. Microsoft has proven that time and again, they are more interested in reaching into your pocket and nickel and diming you to death via Marketplace. It's not a matter of if, but when this practice will come back to bite them in the butt. But I will enjoy watching it happen.

Shame-usBlackley

In fairness to MS, they have been better than anybody about offering free content.  Sony Gamer's Day offered up a ton of new footage, but one wouldn't know that if one looked at Sony's online service (the only thing posted was footage of Uncharted).  When MS publicly unveils something, then the footage hits XBL extremely quickly.  MS just seems more committed to online then everyone else.  

I agree with you getting into it with Epic isn't the brightest move MS could have made, but Epic are PC guys, so them not making the X360 their first (console) stop would be a huge hassle for them so I would be surprised if they bolted based on MS forcing them to charge for downloadable content.