Classification of damage types in video games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for RogueWarriorRPG
RogueWarriorRPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RogueWarriorRPG
Member since 2011 • 65 Posts

What exactly are the main classification of damage types in video games?

Like in most rpgs, there are magical and physical attacks. Are those the only types of damages? What exactly is physical type damage? Is it everything that is non-magical and obeys the laws of physics? So it would include explosive, thermal, electromagnetic, etc. types of damage other than just blunt piercing or slashing?

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#2 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

What a strange topic...

It depends on the game; usually physical damage is anything from a standard weapon or a spell that specifies physical damage. Magic usually deals magic damage in the form of lightning, fire, ice, shadow, etc...

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

What a strange topic...

It depends on the game; usually physical damage is anything from a standard weapon or a spell that specifies physical damage. Magic usually deals magic damage in the form of lightning, fire, ice, shadow, etc...

Blueresident87

I agree. There is no point to have type of damage unless there is reason in the game play.

RogueWarriorRPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RogueWarriorRPG

What a strange topic...

Blueresident87

what would a flamethrower in such a situation be considered?

since it's not magic because it abides by the laws of physics is it physical?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

RogueWarriorRPG

It would be whatever the game developer decided made sense within the context of their game. There are no fixed categories that are universal to all RPGs, so I'm not really sure what you're asking. Physical damage would typically refer to damage caused by direct impact with a physical object (bullets, blunt weapons, sharp weapons, etc). Some games subcategorize physical into additional types such as slashing, thrusting and blunt (with the idea that swords do less damage to monsters such as skeletons since they have no flesh to cut, but blunt weapons on the other hand crush bones).

But again, these rules are different for pretty much every game so I don't know what good any of this information is since I don't get the context of why you are asking.

-Byshop

RogueWarriorRPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RogueWarriorRPG

[QUOTE="RogueWarriorRPG"]

Byshop

It would be whatever the game developer decided made sense within the context of their game. There are no fixed categories that are universal to all RPGs, so I'm not really sure what you're asking. Physical damage would typically refer to damage caused by direct impact with a physical object (bullets, blunt weapons, sharp weapons, etc). Some games subcategorize physical into additional types such as slashing, thrusting and blunt (with the idea that swords do less damage to monsters such as skeletons since they have no flesh to cut, but blunt weapons on the other hand crush bones).

But again, these rules are different for pretty much every game so I don't know what good any of this information is since I don't get the context of why you are asking.

-Byshop

what would physical damage be in a scifi setting? Like you have energy weapons but they're not magical because they follow the rules of physics? Would they be considered physical?

And lastly, thetypical rogue and warrior classes from D&D? or typical mmorpgs.
The only similarity between them is physical damage right?

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
There's poison too
RogueWarriorRPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RogueWarriorRPG

warriors don't use poison o.O

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

what would physical damage be in a scifi setting? Like you have energy weapons but they're not magical because they follow the rules of physics? Would they be considered physical?

RogueWarriorRPG

Again, it depends on the game because there are no set rules for this kind of stuff. Typcailly in a sci-fi setting "physical" means damage caused by force impact (in fantasy it typically means "not magic or elemental"). Anything that requires a chemical or energetic component such as explosive, energy, laser, plasma, or fire are in their own categories or lumped into an "Energy" category.

Why do you ask? Is this for a paper or are you working on a game?

-Byshop

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Black_Knight_00

warriors don't use poison o.O

RogueWarriorRPG
there's a poison spell in every final fantasy...
RogueWarriorRPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RogueWarriorRPG

[QUOTE="RogueWarriorRPG"]

Byshop

Again, it depends on the game because there are no set rules for this kind of stuff. Typcailly in a sci-fi setting "physical" means damage caused by force impact (in fantasy it typically means "not magic or elemental"). Anything that requires a chemical or energetic component such as explosive, energy, laser, plasma, or fire are in their own categories or lumped into an "Energy" category.

Why do you ask? Is this for a paper or are you working on a game?

-Byshop

so if I like rogue and warrior classes in typical rpgs, that means that I only like physical damage right?

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#12 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

There's poison tooBlack_Knight_00

Poison is an untapped damage type in RPGs.

I'd love if Elder Scrolls or open world games like that more incorporated poisons. It would be fun to sneak around and poison people's food as a way to kill them... or drug them for later interrogations!

There was a mission in Morrowind where you poisoned a cauldron but it'd be better if it gave you the option to do it whenever you wanted.

I may have issues.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]There's poison tooIndianaPwns39

I'd love if Elder Scrolls or open world games like that more incorporated poisons. It would be fun to sneak around and poison people's food as a way to kill them... or drug them for later interrogations!

There was a mission in Morrowind where you poisoned a cauldron but it'd be better if it gave you the option to do it whenever you wanted.

I may have issues.

It was possible in older RPGs, like the Ultima series, even the sh*tty Ultima IX, you can poison food that people end up eating. In skyrim it's totally underdeveloped: you have to sneak for hundreds of hours in order to unlock a very advance skill that lets you put poison in people's pockets, which kills them, which is pretty dumb to boot and useless, since by the time you get it you'll hardly need it, since to reach such a high level all the hard quests will have been done.
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#14 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]There's poison tooBlack_Knight_00

I may have issues.

It was possible in older RPGs, like the Ultima series, even the sh*tty Ultima IX, you can poison food that people end up eating. In skyrim it's totally underdeveloped: you have to sneak for hundreds of hours in order to unlock a very advance skill that lets you put poison in people's pockets, which kills them, which is pretty dumb to boot and useless, since by the time you get it you'll hardly need it, since to reach such a high level all the hard quests will have been done.

Yeah I remember that. It used to be presented when RPGs actually let you play the way you wanted.

I want to be the hero of Skyrim who saved the day by poisoning dragons. I'd find their feeding area of gathered cows and dead bodies and put a powerful poison in it that I created by searching for all the right alchemy ingredients spread throughout the land.

Someday, videogames... someday.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

I may have issues.

IndianaPwns39

Yeah I remember that. It used to be presented when RPGs actually let you play the way you wanted.

I want to be the hero of Skyrim who saved the day by poisoning dragons. I'd find their feeding area of gathered cows and dead bodies and put a powerful poison in it that I created by searching for all the right alchemy ingredients spread throughout the land.

Someday, videogames... someday.

Yeah, that's the thing today: games want you to do things their way, either you find the correct procedure to do something or you get stuck, improvisation is not contemplated. That's why I love Hitman games: if you can think of something, chances are you'll be able to pull it off. Not so in RPGs, sadly.