Classic franchises turn mainstream. And many veterans like it?!? What???

#1 Posted by henrythefifth (2447 posts) -

If you are veteran gamer like me, you have noticed that many classic franchises have turned more or less mainstream this gen.

Assassin's Creed is the perfect example: Origins and Odyssey are bland mainstream romps that have nothing of the old AC magic in them. The series has gone as mainstream as you can get!

Other noteworthy franchises that have gone mainstream during this gen are Fallout, God of War, Zelda, Mario, Souls, Monster Hunter, Persona, Ghost Recon, just to name few.

Personally I hate this sort of (d)evolution. Because when series goes mainstream to appeal to larger audiences, it usually loses its original charm and magic.

(Sure! GoW on PS4 is solid game. But its not genuine GoW any more. Its mainstream pulp. Fact.)

Now, what worries me, and what prompted this topic, is that many veteran gamers love this sort of change!!!

Yeah! They say, sure, 'AC Odyssey is no longer real AC, but its still the best AC do date!'

Or they say, 'Fallout 4 might be as mainstream as you can get, but its still better than F3!'

WHAT????? That's just outrageous! If you're a real veteran gamer, then you must prefer the pure, old skool games more than their mainstream iterations this gen.

Indeed, I'll go as far as to say; veteran, hardcore gamers who prefer current gen mainstream over the superior last gen games, are no real veterans at all. They are just fakes and sunday gamers. And you can tell them I said so.

Rant over.

#2 Posted by Macutchi (6734 posts) -

can't help but worry about you henry. pushing 50 years old and still posting this kind of stuff endlessly across forums. are you ok pal?

#3 Posted by Archangel3371 (27874 posts) -

I like it myself and having been an avid gamer for over 40 years I guess I’m as “veteran” as they come. I started playing some of those games such as Zelda, Mario, God of War, Final Fantasy, etc. from the very first games in their respective franchises when they initially launched and the games that have recently come out for them are still excellent games.

I don’t have a lot of experience with the Monster Hunter franchise but I have played a bit of them before and I find Monster Hunter World to be an excellent game for the franchise. It plays great and has a number of quality of life improvements that I really appreciate.

The only Fallout games that I played previously were Fallout 3 and New Vegas and while I really enjoyed them I found 4 to be an excellent Fallout game as well.

I really don’t care if anyone thinks that I’m a “fake” or “Sunday gamer” at, that just to be incredibly silly and childish. I like what I like and that’s really all that matters to me. I’m having a great time being a gamer in this day and age. 😁

#4 Edited by sakaiXx (5466 posts) -

Fire Emblem. Loved the GBA games and has great time with DS games (I download pirate english translation cause its officially japanese only) but goddamn 3DS games pissed me off so much. Was real glad when they returned to roots with Fire Emblem Shadows of Velentia but then did 180 with the new switch game. Its a fuken Persona styled game! I love persona games don't get me wrong but I want to play a fire emblem game not a fukin dating simulator!

just look at the link, wtf is going on. we have shedules now, calendars and relationship points wtf that means. just hoping no future kids appearing cause goddamnit

https://www.gamespot.com/videos/fire-emblem-three-houses-reminds-us-of-persona/2300-6450036/

#5 Posted by heljar (115 posts) -

@henrythefifth: This sounds like trolling to me. A real gamer HAS to like so and so. What bullshit!

I don't understand what makes AC Origins and Oddyssey more mainstream than the others. I hated the first Assasins Creed, steal something from that guy, and use it to find out who to kill. Boring. Assasins Creed has evolved for the better. More complex mission, more weapons and armor for your character. Much more to do and see. How can that be negative?

#6 Edited by warmblur (2330 posts) -

Battlefield series went mainstream it use to be slower place with more tactical elements and no hand holding. The series was never the same since Bad Company every BF since has got even more dumbed down they basically turned it into a COD clone. BF 1942 up to 2142 to me where the real BF games the series lost what made it special.

#7 Edited by RSM-HQ (8317 posts) -

@henrythefifth: Mainstream games is usually a term so anyone can jump-in without issue, Gamer or non-Gamer. Games designed to both grab the masses and be designed so anyone can beat it without trouble.

Assassins Creed was always mainstream dood, you hold a button down and your avatar swiftly runs through the areas and auto climbs the areas. The game also handles combat as though you are a god among chickens.

*Sigh* not sure you can call a Monster Hunter entry "mainstream" and expect to be taken seriously. Plus you don't even play these games for established context_

We've already established you have no idea about Monster Hunter in your fail thread

But as someone who has been playing MH since Portable 2nd G. Can state a few of the things I do miss in World. Monsters. We want more of them, and G-Rank, which usually comes in the expanded edition anyhow, and Iceborne will deliver a higher difficulty with more monsters. Monster Hunter fans are also use to having more towns, NPCs and upgrades, oils is also something quite missed from the community at large. But to think the game is mainstream? Nah dood, over 8 million sold on PS4 and only 1% have the platinum trophy. My guess is you don't even have the low rank complete trophy.

Now games that are mainstream, Assassins Creed always was (covered). Uncharted fits the bill, Spider Man goes without saying, Fall Out 3 and 4 are considered 'mainstream', The Last of Us gets a pass because you can tell Naughty Dog really tried making it less hand holding over Uncharted. Even Pokémon which I've becoming fond of, campaign is the definition to mainstream, competitive mode however? Well, it's certainly more complex.

Wouldn't call God of War IV mainstream, but it's certainly easier than previous games. Yet after the garbage Ascension, suppose they had to change a few things.

Souls

. . . You admitted previously to be bad at these games. And I don't know a single person who calls DkSIII 'mainstream'.

Geez Henry, you claim to be double my age yet act like a brash ten year old. What's got you all down? Wanted Fall Out 76 to be worth your time and money so spitting on what other people enjoy.

#8 Posted by VagrantSnow (315 posts) -

It can vary from game to game. Some games benefit greatly from the greater exposure and some even saved by it. Franchises like Fallout, Deus Ex and XCom would still be dead if it weren't for their mainstream revivals. On the other hand, it can also be a detriment if the folks behind the franchises don't treat the transition with caution. Franchises like Battlefield have been dying a slow death since going mainstream. Dawn of War and Command and Conquer tried to go mainstream and ended up with no one liking it, the franchises are all but dead now.

#9 Posted by Valgaav_219 (2362 posts) -

Persona 3, 4, and 5 all followed the same guidelines so unless you've played the original Persona, Eternal Punishment, or Innocent Sin you don't know wtf you're talking about. And Persona 5 pretty much improved upon every aspect of any of the previous games. Can you elaborate? Did you even play Persona 5 or are you just raging against whatever's popular?

#10 Edited by RSM-HQ (8317 posts) -
@valgaav_219 said:

Persona 3, 4, and 5 all followed the same guidelines so unless you've played the original Persona, Eternal Punishment, or Innocent Sin you don't know wtf you're talking about. And Persona 5 pretty much improved upon every aspect of any of the previous games. Can you elaborate? Did you even play Persona 5 or are you just raging against whatever's popular?

I believe Henry is just some weird guy who gets enjoyment out of triggering users different taste in games.

If you look at what he actually plays and enjoys; it's all 'mainstream' story and sandbox games that usually play themselves.

He literally made a Monster Hunter thread with 99% false information. Then made up what the community thinks of MH:W. Guy seems like he spent too much time on System-Wars. And now gone completely insane.

#11 Posted by Valgaav_219 (2362 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: It just seems a bit silly to me to try to initiate a conversation speaking negatively about a subject that you know nothing about, especially on website for gaming enthusiasts where someone is going to call you out on your bullsh*t. If you think Persona is mainstream please tell me how. It's actually quite niche. I'd love to discuss it with him. And then he abandons his own thread because his entire OP was just hot air.

#12 Edited by RSM-HQ (8317 posts) -
@valgaav_219 said:

@RSM-HQ: It just seems a bit silly to me to try to initiate a conversation speaking negatively about a subject that you know nothing about, especially on website for gaming enthusiasts where someone is going to call you out on your bullsh*t.

Yeah, it's not really fun when it happens, but at least it's exceedingly rare. And honestly I like it when we all come together to burn the witch (so to speak). Many of us call it out instead of letting these posts gather any form of continued fabrication. Which is awesome. One of the reasons GD really stands out_

Think outside of Henry I've only seen one other poster do it within the last few months on GD.

We use to have someone last year with a toad avatar, who made threads like this at least five times a week. Think he eventually went too far and got banned.

If you think Persona is mainstream please tell me how.

True, true. I've honestly never given the series a real try and will just be frank with it. Have a friend who absolutely loved them on PSP but just didn't have the time for the last one due to commitments, and having to play fewer games.

But just consider OP also called later Dark Soul games mainstream as well. So that should really put the pieces together.

Hen thinks Fall Out 3 is the greatest game of all time. But all these long time commitment and complex games are too 'mainstream' for him? think it's very on the nose he's "bullsh*t"

#13 Posted by Valgaav_219 (2362 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: Agreed. Persona games are swell little JRPG's but they take a serious time commitment tbh. I probably have 5-600 hours between 3, 4, and 5 alone. They're really stylish, though, and are presented well with great music, memorable characters, and a battle system that can go from a walk in the park to certain death with one crucial mistake. Persona 3 especially can be punishingly difficult. It's more your run of the mill JRPG, though. It's no SRPG. I believe you really like Disgaea games if I'm not mistaken.

#14 Edited by RSM-HQ (8317 posts) -

@valgaav_219: Every year I try go outside my usual bubble and play at least one big RPG that requires a lot of time and commitment. This year tried Ultima VII and we'll. . not for me.

Next year may finally be the year I dive into a Persona game. Any one you particularly recommend for a beginner; Or is the first the go-to? I think P3 is my friends favorite.

I believe you really like Disgaea games if I'm not mistaken.

Certainly do, but it's one of the few SRPGs I dive into on a whim, never really felt obligated because I've played them for well over a decade. Clearly my comfort food of the genre haha.

#15 Posted by Valgaav_219 (2362 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: I'd put it like this. Best story Persona 3. Best cast of characters Persona 4, Golden preferably due to the extra contect tacked onto it. Best overall game aesthetically Persona 5 by a country mile. I played 4, then 3, then 5. They're not at all connected aside from your usual easter egg so order or which ones you play or don't play don't really matter.

#16 Posted by RSM-HQ (8317 posts) -

@valgaav_219: If they're all different stories that makes the jump way more accessible. Seems Persona 5 is the one to go with. Reads a lot like the Monster Hunter: World of Persona games. If the internet isn't destroyed by next year will likely share my thoughts on the game (≧∇≦)

On a random note MH:W is a direct sequel to MH4, Cadet from MH4 is the character that speaks to the player in the intro

#17 Edited by RSM-HQ (8317 posts) -

Weird to bring a form of positivity to this thread but story ending for MH4 is so awesome. I highly recommend this for new, even ol MH fans who have seen it, you know you wanna!

#18 Posted by henrythefifth (2447 posts) -

I have to applaud Microsoft for staying true to form.

If you look at Gears 4, Halo 5 and Crackdown 3, you see they are very loyal to the original formulae. No mainstream nonsense they!

Same with Forzas. While SONY turned Gran Turismo into ghastly mainstream online racer, MS made sure Forzas still had solid offline content. Well done.

#19 Posted by heljar (115 posts) -

@henrythefifth: What do you consider mainstream? You claim Assassin's Creed got mainstream when they were already popular from the beginning. You praise games for not getting mainstream when they are part of the most popular game franchises on Xbox. I don't understand it.

#20 Posted by Valgaav_219 (2362 posts) -

@henrythefifth: Oh, you're back! Please tell me how Persona 5 is even remotely mainstream. JRPG's aren't even mainstream to be honest. Did you just google a list of top rated games or is this your honest opinion?

#21 Edited by Lembu90 (569 posts) -

All video games are mainstream to begin with. Persona are mainstream. Just google "Persona 5 fanart" and you'll find nearly all of them are made by western fans alone. Dragon Quest is mainstream and eleventh game sold more than Persona 5 outside Japan(more than Persona 5 and Final Fantasy XV put together in Japan alone). Atelier series is mainstream and sold pretty well in the west albeit less than other aforementioned JRPGs. Gears of War, Halo and Crackdown series are already mainstream to begin with. Do I need to explain on how "mainstream" Call of Duty is?

Fanservice crap like Senran Kagura series are mainstream as well. It sold pretty well in Sony and PC platforms and recently its developer Marvelous! were reported to abandon Sony in favor of PC and Nintendo platforms after the highly controversial Sony's censorship policies. Sadly even some racist crap like Hatred is mainstream and gets 77% Steam approvals despite being trashed by professional critics.

To the OP in particular, can you define what is "mainstream" is to you?