Changing Genres

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jrabbit99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

Edited By jrabbit99
Member since 2007 • 2836 Posts

My go to games were always shooters and real-time strategy classics. I grew up on Red Alert and Halo. I never touched a puzzle game until this past year when I bought Limbo in a Humble Bundle. I try to spend as little as I can on games, and purchasing games through Humble Bundle is a great way to donate money while still getting great games.

I had never played anything beyond Bejeweled, and Limbo was my first eye opener into not only puzzle genre, but the indie games scene. I enjoyed the black and white art style, but I eventually got stuck in the game. The puzzle was too hard for me, or maybe I was doing the right thing but my reflexes weren't good enough. I never watched a walkthrough to figure out why the nameless protagonist kept dying. I haven't touched Limbo in months.

I moved on to Thomas Was Alone, which had minimalistic puzzle elements. It was not as hard as it was tedious. That's not to say I disliked the game though. Quite the contrary. It is probably my favorite indie game I have played yet. It's social commentary is lovely, I only wish more games were as deep.

Recently, I started playing Trine 2. The puzzles seem to be the perfect difficulty, and there are hints in case I get stuck. While the hints don't always help ("use the lever" doesn't help when I don't know what button interacts with the environment), I can usually figure it out eventually. There's something gratifying about solving a puzzle that is different from just completing a level in a shooter.

It's not just that my reflexes are good enough to beat a game, it's that I'm able to use logic, beyond my virtual brawn. I've broadened my horizons beyond blockbuster titles and I've been pleasantly surprised.

I've also branched out to more artsy games like Proteus. While it's not a game that I would play for hours on end, it is certainly worthwhile to see the interaction between the player and the environment and the beautiful music scores that follow. It's a sort of art genre in and of itself. There's no sense of accomplishment from it, but there is a level of exploration and wonder.

While I always enjoy playing a good shooter or strategy game, these other genres have a lot to explore. Puzzle doesn't mean frustratingly difficult games, (although I did rage-quit in Zork), and there is a whole genre of games that are more or less artsy and less game-y. They typically tend to explore themes that aren't found in a typical FPS or RTS game, and they can be just as fun.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

The Puzzles in Trine 2 are absolutely Terrible.... Infact I'm never quite sure if its really a puzzle some times especially in Co-Op mode.... Theres just no clearcut solution, don't get me wrong I never got stuck, its just that I'm never sure if I solved the puzzle correctly... It feels Like I cheated or broke the game somehow when I get past a puzzle in a way that seemed unintentional. In co-op mode you can get past so many obstacles using Amadeus that it actually feels broken.

The fact the characters are Asymmetrical only makes things worse.... Its not like the Lara Croft game where the puzzles actual scale and adjust them selves according to the number of players in the game.

jrabbit99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 jrabbit99

I haven't played coop yet, but I'm really excited to! The characters are a little asymetrical, also I can't really figure out the purpose of the upgrades. I don't understand how the freeze shield actually helps me. Doesn't really seem to do anything.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@jrabbit99

The Freeze Shield is only Effective against close range melee type enemies and it requires them to hit the shield twice for it to work.

The thing with Trine is the combat is just as Disorganized as the puzzle, its not neat and clean, theres alot of frantic moments where you're not strategising or cordinating attacks properly... Its very mess, perhaps in co-op it is alil bit more organized.

I've only done 2 player co-op not 3.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lulu_Lulu

Oh... The Shield doesn't work with Bosses and Giant Plants, the will smash right throught it.

jrabbit99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jrabbit99

@Lulu_Lulu Haha I found that out the first time I tried blocking a boss. But with freeze even after enemies freeze I can't tell if it actually impacts gameplay. It doesn't really seem to. They slow down a tiny bit, but not in a meaningful way. If you have it on PC and are looking for a coop partner feel free to join my game :)

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lulu_Lulu

@jrabbit99

The enemies have to strike your shiled twice in a row for the Feezing effect to actually happen completely, they just turn alil blue and move slowly if they hit it once....

And I don't have it on PC :(..... I made the mistake of buying an Xbox 360 and its a colossal pain in my ass !