Capcom doesnt know how to make 3D Fighters

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
Really, what was the last 3d fighter made by Capcom that was memorable? After their promising attempts with Star Gladiator , the SF EX games,and the entertaining Rival Schools series on PS1, any intention to make a decent 3D fighter has fall flat on it´s face. Remember how impressive was Soul Calibur on Dreamcast, a though act to follow for any developer. Capcom set back the release of Plasma Sword for DC to improve upon it, and the end result was short of dismal. Sure there was Power Stone but that game was as much a fighter as was a item collection race/platformer. And how about Capcom Fighting All Stars , doesn´t ring a bell. That´s because this 3D fighter got cancelled, and instead we got Capcom Fighting Evolution , yet another 2D fighting game made up of recycled sprites, plus a few new ones (some of the 3D characters from All Stars appeared as 2D sprites). I love Capcom´s 2d fighters, The DarkStalkers series will always have a place in my heart. But after seeing what Namco, Tecmo and Sega are doing for the 3D fighting genre, I´m left wondering: "Why isn´t Capcom steeping forth and showing us what they can do on 3D?" and after all this years, all I can think of is that they simply can´t catch up. I know Capcom is working on a HD version of SFII with new redrawn sprites, and I don´t have any doubt that it will be good, but after seeing VF5 I keep looking at Akira Yuki and wonder "Why can´t that be Ryu? By no means I want to diss Capcom, It just that I believe that a true fan must see when a company he/she admires has made mistakes and has fallen from being the leading fighting game maker (SNK aside) to not even trying to innovate in the field of fighters at all.
FSgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FSgamer
Member since 2004 • 4341 Posts
http://www3.capcom.co.jp/kenichi/index.html
trifecta_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 trifecta_basic
Member since 2003 • 11542 Posts
Why can't Sega make a good 2-D fighter?
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#4 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

I can't wait to see what Jonas and Shabulia have to say about this...

Personally I'm so far out of touch with the Fighter genre, that I don't care anymore, as long as there are hot chicks, easy cheap moves that destroy noobs in the arcade, and hilarious, yet totally unrelated endings (I.E. Tekken).  

Jonas_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jonas_81
Member since 2004 • 6671 Posts
Why can't Sega make a good 2-D fighter?trifecta_basic
Guilty Gear?
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I think Capcom's 3D attempts fail because they try to use the gameplay elements from their 2D fighters in their 3D fighting games. Basically their 3D fighters play exactly like their 2D fighters only the backgrounds are pre-rendered and the characters are polygons.

I thought Rival Schools was their best attempt so far, even though Project Justice came out worse than the original PS1 game.

Anyway, I still think Capcom can make a successful 3D brawler one that can compete with VF5 or Tekken at the same level, but the only question is, is it really needed from their business standpoint?

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

[QUOTE="trifecta_basic"]Why can't Sega make a good 2-D fighter?Jonas_81
Guilty Gear?

You're referring to the Sammy/Sega merger right?

And don't forget Bleach for the DS. They're darn good as well (even though they collaborated with Treasure).

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lurkero
Member since 2003 • 807 Posts
Rival Schools was okay, and Power Stone had good multiplayer, but yeah, Capcom doesn't seem to currently understand the 3D fighter.
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Dencore
Member since 2006 • 7094 Posts
Who cares Capcom makes the greatest fighting games to ever grace gaming. I don't care what dimention it's in as long as it's good.
Darth_Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10 Darth_Homer
Member since 2004 • 5779 Posts

I think Capcom's 3D attempts fail because they try to use the gameplay elements from their 2D fighters in their 3D fighting games. Basically their 3D fighters play exactly like their 2D fighters only the backgrounds are pre-rendered and the characters are polygons.ASK_Story

I think you've just hit the nail right on the head there. But those games are still good, Rival School's especially.

If only we had that recent Capcom 3D fighter not get cancelled... 

Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts
I liked Rival Schools.  The best attempt
L8erSquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 L8erSquare
Member since 2007 • 2599 Posts
"Capcom doesnt know how to make 3D Fighters" --- Whats new?
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

Why can't Sega make a good 2-D fighter?trifecta_basic

LOL, you have a point there.

Ectomy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ectomy
Member since 2004 • 885 Posts
It seems to me that Capcom are used to the clean mathematical precision of 2-D sprite based games where it is easier to account for all the variables. As soon as you add another axis, use floating point numbers for everything and end up having to acount for the additional possibilities this brings, things can screw up very easily if you aren't used to dealing with that kind of thing in a completely dynamic system.
Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#15 Ash2X
Member since 2005 • 3035 Posts

Rival Schools was okay, and Power Stone had good multiplayer, but yeah, Capcom doesn't seem to currently understand the 3D fighter.robfield

Yup...but why can´t they make any really good 2D-Fighter anymore?Exept Capcom VS SNK 1+2,Marvel VS Capcom 1+2 and SF3 3rd Strike there was no really good one since YEARS!Remember,even CvsS and MvsC came almost at the XBox release and been on DC before...

SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SciFiCat
Who cares Capcom makes the greatest fighting games to ever grace gaming. I don't care what dimention it's in as long as it's good.Dencore
I care, just as Capcom improved upon the Survival Horror genre that Alone in the Dark started, creating one of the most compelling game series of our time; Resident Evil. The series has seen a revolutionary evolution since its debut. Anyone who is a fan of this series has seen the innovations, both graphical and gameplay wise, made by Capcom to this series over the years. RE4 is soo far removed from RE1 that no gamer would rather go back to the prerendered backgroungs and stiff control. Can you imagine the SF series evolving the same way!! Instead, Capcom is stuck on a rut with their fighting franchises. [QUOTE="Ectomy"] It seems to me that Capcom are used to the clean mathematical precision of 2-D sprite based games where it is easier to account for all the variables. As soon as you add another axis, use floating point numbers for everything and end up having to acount for the additional possibilities this brings, things can screw up very  easily if you aren't used to dealing with that kind of thing  in a completely dynamic system.

OK, granted, but at some point back in the day Sega said, "we are gonna take a risk and make a 3d fighter". When there was no 3D, no one was used to deal with and extra axis and the extra possibilities that it offered. But companies like Namco, Sega and Tecmo decided to take tthose risk and now they are reaping the rewards of their efforts. Why did Capcom decided to retire from the 3D fighting arena. Sure, Capcom is developing a new 3D fighter, but it looks no different that what they did in PS1 gameplay wise. Put it next to VF5, DOA4 or even SoulCalibur III. It just looks as a lesser attempt at the genre.
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts
I would rather Capcom stick with 2D fighters, a new marvel vs capcom would be a nice start :D.
trifecta_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18 trifecta_basic
Member since 2003 • 11542 Posts

Guilty Gear?

MAKE 

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#19 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts
All I want is Street fighter IV with a decent 2D graphic update. I am fed up of just seeing SFII rereleased all the time...
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#20 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

All I want is Street fighter IV with a decent 2D graphic update. I am fed up of just seeing SFII rereleased all the time...AzelKosMos

Super Ultra Mega Hyper Turbo World Champion Edition doesn't do it for you?  

FSgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FSgamer
Member since 2004 • 4341 Posts

Guilty Gear?

GG is developed by Sammy & Arc System Works. Sega simply published the last GG game.

Capcom's latest fighter, Kenichi, came out in Japan a few months ago, it's a 3D-fighter.

EmanSolid117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 EmanSolid117
Member since 2006 • 952 Posts
CapCom knows how to make games whether their 2d fighter's, 3d fighters, or even action adventure games such as Devil May Cry. They just probably haven't come up with the proper approach with how to make a new fighter. It takes time to come up with ideas....but not that long.
vendettared468

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 vendettared468
Member since 2006 • 4437 Posts
SF2 again! Alright something new!....:?
Jonas_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jonas_81

[QUOTE="Jonas_81"][QUOTE="trifecta_basic"]Why can't Sega make a good 2-D fighter?FSgamer

Guilty Gear?

GG is developed by Sammy & Arc System Works. Sega simply published the last GG game.

Capcom's latest fighter, Kenichi, came out in Japan a few months ago, it's a 3D-fighter.

Sega and Sammy is the same thing, lately though Sammy have chosen to use the Sega name for their 2D fighters like Fist of the North Star, Rumble Fish and yes, Guilty Gear as well. That Arc Systems is it's "own" studio doesn't say much, AM2 is it's own self contained unit as well. Capcom can't really make any good fighter anymore considering just about everyone they had in their company that worked on those games are gone now and they have apparently sold off the intellectual rights to both Street Fighter and the Vampire (aka Darkstalkers) series.
SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SciFiCat
Capcom can't really make any good fighter anymore considering just about everyone they had in their company that worked on those games are gone now and they have apparently sold off the intellectual rights to both Street Fighter and the Vampire (aka Darkstalkers) series.Jonas_81
What are you talking about by saying that Capcom sold the rights to the Street Fighter and DarkStalkers series. When? Why? and to whom? C´mon pal, you can´t just drop a bomb like that without further evidence to back it up. If it were true, that bit of news would be front page on every gaming site. Besides Capcom is developing an HD remake of SFII for 360. So sorry if I don´t take your last statements as true.
Jonas_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jonas_81
What are you talking about by saying that Capcom sold the rights to the Street Fighter and DarkStalkers series. When? Why? and to whom? C´mon pal, you can´t just drop a bomb like that without further evidence to back it up. If it were true, that bit of news would be front page on every gaming site. Besides Capcom is developing an HD remake of SFII for 360. So sorry if I don´t take your last statements as true.SciFiCat
Capcom JP sold the rights to SF to Capcom US, pretty much the ultimate sign they don't give a damn about fighting games anymore. I don't even think Capcom themselves are developing the HD remake of Super Turbo, a third party developer is.