Can you still enjoy a game if you skip cutscenes?

Worlds_Apart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1 Worlds_Apart
Member since 2017 • 499 Posts

I've read on here some people saying they always skip cutscenes. If true how can someone enjoy the game? I understand that gameplay is ahead of story for many people, but isn't this taking it too far? How can you blindly complete objectives without knowing the reason behind your actions and what you are doing? So, can you still enjoy a strory-driven game if you skip the cutscenes?

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@worlds_apart:

I think it's possible but I doubt that it would be very enjoyable like that. It could drive a game from being an 8/10 to a 6 or 7.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Yes, of course you can. There are games out there that are flat out better if you skip their stories because their stories is so increbible stupid. The recently released Jump Force is a perfect example for this. But people skipping the cutscenes in one game doesn't mean they skip it in every game. It - as always - depends on the genre. Sure a game with a decent story and a lot of lore might lose something if you skip everything. But what is lost if you skip cutscenes of a fighter or racer that barely has any story besides "I wanna be the very best"?

With your suggestion, that you need a reason behind an objective, you dismis entire genres like simulation games where the whole point is to create whatever you want.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

I spam the A or X button to skip a cutscene to get back to what I came for - the game.

I do not like stories in games. I just don’t.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#5 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I'm sure for some people it easy but for me if I'm playing the game for the first time I'll never skip a cutscene but if I'm replaying the game I will easily skip it.

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
YammiReckorrdSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 YammiReckorrdSan
Member since 2016 • 616 Posts

It depends. I rarely skip cutscenes, but there are some games that I do. Soul Calubur and Blazblue for example have really boring story. Blazblue is even worse, as in ChronoPhantasma the story mode starts with freaking 3 hours of boring bullshit until you get to play... But I do like the gameplay in Blazblue and Soul Calibur, so in that case it works. Fate Extella is another example for a game with fun gameplay but boring story.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

If it's Bayonetta...

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Well I’m sure some can but not me. I always watch the cut-scenes myself.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

I can't do it. I play a lot of story driven games and I feel that getting to know the game's world and it's characters increases immersion. I would've never completed The Witcher 3 if the story wasn't good and the characters weren't well written. It's just too damn long but watching and listening to everything like the political intrigue and the conflict brewing between different nations and races made it start to feel like a living breathing world.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#10 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

@Sevenizz: Same here

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#11 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

Can you still enjoy a game if you skip cutscenes?

Yes.

I do it all the time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I play games for gameplay, not to watch a movie.

An occasional short cut-scene to define my objective and setup the world is fine, but a game should not need cut-scenes every 5 minutes and they shouldn't have to be very long. All that I really need to know through cut-scenes is something like: "Dracula's castle has reappeared and it's up to me to make my way through this castle to destroy Dracula once and for all." Great, given that this is a video game and not a movie, that's all I really need to know before getting to the gameplay.

So if cut-scenes are too long or too frequent then I will usually skip them to get to what really matters to me which is the gameplay. If the gameplay can't be enjoyable without long, frequent cut-scenes then it's not much of a game in my opinion and therefore it's not worth my time.

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#13  Edited By GNS
Member since 2015 • 921 Posts

Depends on a game, if it is story driven, then what's the point of you even playing it, if you're just going to skip the story? If it's gameplay driven and the story is from none to left to be desired (like fighting games (Xenoverse, for example comes to mind) or sports games (NBA 2K with their implemented "My player story" or NFS games etc.), then, sure, skip to your heart's content.

EDIT: also, I skip cutscenes, if it is not the first time I'm playing the game (and I found the particular cutscene to be boring, or simply to get through the game again quicker).

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Some people don't get invested in the story, what's the point for them to watch cutscenes if all they want to do is punch/shoot stuff?

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GNS

@Black_Knight_00: skip all you want, but don't expect that no one will have comments on that, if you are publicly stating this.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RSM-HQ
@gns said:

EDIT: also, I skip cutscenes, if it is not the first time I'm playing the game (and I found the particular cutscene to be boring, or simply to get through the game again quicker).

Everyone has preferences.

Have no complaint context being given in a game. Suppose for me it depends on the length of cutscene, and if the characters are rambling/ monologuing.

In games like Dishonored I enjoyed the idea of taking down a target before they could utter another word. I got more out of reading a single item than I did from every NPC in that game.

Voice actors in games commonly have a tendency to be long-winded and trail-off from relevance. It helps the actors portfolio, sure. But also wastes my time I could be spending in the gameworld. And usually a good game will explain things better outside cutscenes, using visual awareness of a situation_

Games like the recent Resident Evil 2 Remake kept the cutscenes short and sweet so didn't mind so much. Even then I didn't exactly watch them past a first run. Only times I wished it stopped was Adas long speech between the RPD and sewers (not a cutscene but locked-walking and chatting is the same to me)

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GNS

@RSM-HQ: yeah, I get what you mean, preferences and all. Personally, did not find a game where I would go: "Oh, please, shut the f up already" and press skip from the initial get go (minus Pokemon games on an emulator, but they fall in to my category of gameplay driven games, so the story is from meh to much desired for).

Lady_Aijou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lady_Aijou
Member since 2019 • 24 Posts

I usually won't skip them unless I've played the game before. I love hearing the story in games in general, to the point where I'll read all the quest dialog and such even if it's optional.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RSM-HQ
@gns said:

@RSM-HQ: yeah, I get what you mean, preferences and all. Personally, did not find a game where I would go: "Oh, please, shut the f up already"

I'm more a "if I wanted your life story? I would read your novel" kind of person.

I do read poetry quite a lot ironically, yet when I play a games, I'm looking to give my controller some use, because I got into gaming because of the fundamentals. And that's usually what gives me excitement. Not set it down and enjoy a movie. I think The Secret of Monkey Island is one of the rare exceptions, as I liked its sense of humor.

Everyone likes games for different reasons though, and that's why we have so much variety. What I like should not be the standard by any means.

minus Pokemon games on an emulator

Can relate, prefer the multiplayer aspect of those games. Very fun building a team, I look forward to the core Switch game.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

@gns said:

@Black_Knight_00: skip all you want, but don't expect that no one will have comments on that, if you are publicly stating this.

I don't skip cutscenes, I just dont criminalize people who do.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#21 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I had a mate that used to do this all the time. Particularly when playing through Alan Wake. It was annoying. But I guess if the game isn't story-heavy and it's just fun gameplay....no worries.

Shantmaster_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#22  Edited By Shantmaster_K
Member since 2008 • 1790 Posts

I personally don't know how that can be enjoyable, but I'm a story guy.

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GNS

@Black_Knight_00: oh, boy! Now, I'm criminalizing someone *rolls eyes*

dillinger101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dillinger101
Member since 2019 • 11 Posts

I know some people who are in it only for the gameplay. The story, reason, and motivation don't matter to them.

I don't really understand them, but that's why they skip cinematics.

aaronjonesrsch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 aaronjonesrsch
Member since 2019 • 4 Posts

Depends, some games I do not care about the cut scenes and just wanna the play the game like the Spyro trilogy but when it comes to games like red dead 2 I always watch the cut scenes.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

I think all games there needs to be exposition otherwise the game won't make sense. But for rpgs and adventures its a bit more important.

For a game which is 99% controlling something cut scenes just need to be skippable because the story should be told in the game within the levels and platforms with just a little bit of cut scene after four stages or so.

For a platform game story is not really important, or a pinball game or s shooting game like Darius which has a 15 minute opening story on the Mega Drive. But you skip it once and your never bothered by cut scenes again.

Cut scenes are only a problem when they are in a game they belong in like action platformers, puzzle platformers or are just too long and the story is just stupid.

I mean, as much as I like King of Fighters 13, even I will say it could really do without the dialogue that takes time playing away from me as it is all gibberish.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

You can if it controls well enough and you enjoy the mechanics of the game. Sometimes puzzles need you to watch the cutscenes to know how to solve it though.