Can we please....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MWright469

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By MWright469
Member since 2014 • 168 Posts

....talk about how shitty this new Call of Duty game looks?

Trust me, I'm well aware that the series blew after COD4 (maybe WaW, since it had awesome Zombies).

First of all, to me, one of the defining aspects of COD was always the fact that the game was based in (sort of...) realism. But, this new games seems to undo all of that. COD spent years separating itself from the plasma-drenched world of Halo, and now, it's literally adding hover bikes, super jumps, and direct energy weapons to its repertoire? Wow....

Also, it's clear from the title that they used the very, very least amount of ingenuity and creativity in coming up with both the title of the game, and even the logo. "Advanced Warfare?". Are you fucking kidding me? You people seriously get paid to come up with this shit... Damn. I'm in the wrong line of work.

A phrase comes to mind: idea fatigue. The point at which, a creative force has used up all its creative potential and now taps into mundane resources to come up with something new. This is a classic example. Even though COD has been suffering from this issue for a long time, it wasn't really until this game that the issue has become so glaringly apparent. At least with each previous entry, a lot of new features and gameplay modes were added, but here, the game is seriously just being given an overhaul for the sake of it. The whole gray military-based thing has become stale, and now they're trying to find any way they can to revitalize it. It's rather pathetic really.

I also must complain..... I know we've had Hollywood talent in games for a long time (see: 007 Nightfire), but this is just ridiculous. A full on, recreated, perfectly voiced Kevin Spacey in a Call of Duty game. Seriously. Kevin Spacey. He's a great actor, but why the **** is his perfect likeness in a first person shooter video game? One reason: Hollywood actors bring a Hollywood crowd. Or at least, Activision seems to think.

I'm officially done with this series. I played COD4 for years, played MW2, and I even continue to play WaW when I get the urge for some arcade-style Zombie shooting, but my faith in this brand is gone. In fact, it's basically been gone since MW2, and especially MW3/BO2.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Call Of Duty was never any sort of Realism.

MWright469

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MWright469

@Lulu_Lulu:

I'm speaking specifically about the way things look, the guns used, the time period, etc. Hence the "(sort of....)".

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@MWright469

Well then in that case its even more realistic then ever.... Sort of !

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43988 Posts

I was never really into CoD until MW but since then I've loved this franchise, purchase every game since and enjoyed them all, well except for WaW that one was my least favourite. I think this one looks awesome and Kevin Spacey is a fantastic addition especially since his likeness is in the game. I'm really looking forward to it.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

I lost interest in the series after COD 4. The online component killed it for me, after 12 y/o's coerced their parents into buying the game for them, ultimately ruining the MP experience for us adult gamers.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#7 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

At least the setting's being changed a bit.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

Classic example here of someone that can't be pleased, moans that the series had become stale and moans because they've tried something new to lift the series. Maybe you should actually wait till the game comes out before you bash it, it might actually be good. No matter what COD always out sells everything in it's path even though it's sales have been steadily declining, and I'm no fan boy last COD game I bought was modem warfare 3. it's definitely caught my eye and I will be keeping my eye on it, b4 I make any judgments. Hopefully this time they will produce a campaign I will actually want to play, but if not and the multiplayer really good I will just stick to the multiplayer side of it.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#9 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

I haven't played a Call of Duty since the original Black Ops. Since then i've seen it as just more of the same, so i've decided to skip its future games.

I think most shooters are in a slump. They need to evolve onto what Borderlands, and Farcry 3 did and go open world and give you freedom to play your own way, instead of crappy scripted level events that push you through a really awful linear storyline. Farcry 3 was a pretty boring game at times, but its open gameplay saved it from being as bad as current call of duty game or other shooters.

Another one is Destiny, which looks like a bit of a rip off of Borderlands, but Bungie claims they came up with the idea on their own (they probably claim they never played Borderlands)... but at least they are copying a less linear open world format.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Can we please stop truncating thread titles?

MWright469

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MWright469

@ariabed:

^ Classic example of someone who doesn't have any idea what they're talking about ^

Did you even read what I said? I never said the game couldn't be good. I said it doesn't look like it will be. Obviously, I could be completely wrong, the game could come out and completely revitalize the series. Except, a phrase comes to mind: "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me". Call of Duty has been fooling people since COD4. Guess what? It's pretty hard to make an innovational, original, amazing game in the span of a year- you know, a year, as in, the span of time between COD games. It's clear that they are suffering from serious idea fatigue.

You actually use the argument of "they're adding innovational features". LOL! That's a riot bud. So I guess even though Halo has had all of this stuff since 2001, because they put it in a COD game, it's now innovational? They've done a complete *360, they managed to run around the FPS spectrum only to end up back at the beginning. And you're seriously going to say I'm moaning because they're adding new features? Lol.......Unfortunately it's quite the opposite. I'd be more likely to purchase this game if it was more like COD4 and less like the clusterfuck that literally every COD game has been for 5 years.

Typical BS. Give me any reason this game isn't going to blow chunks like the last 4 games and then we can talk kiddo.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

@mwright469: "Classic example here of someone that can't be pleased, moans that the series had become stale and moans because they've tried something new to lift the series. Maybe you should actually wait till the game comes out before you bash it, it might actually be good. No matter what COD always out sells everything in it's path even though it's sales have been steadily declining, and I'm no fan boy last COD game I bought was modem warfare 3. it's definitely caught my eye and I will be keeping my eye on it, b4 I make any judgments. Hopefully this time they will produce a campaign I will actually want to play, but if not and the multiplayer really good I will just stick to the multiplayer side of it."

Now where in my comment did I say that you said the game won't be good? You ranted on about how shitty the game looks and all the new ideas suck, and how you're officially done with series, i mean, you even bashed the title lol I was just pointing out that the game might be good, because in your statement you never once said the game might be good. And when I said their trying something new I meant new to the series, so what if they've taken ideas from other games, I can't see there being any major innovations in FPS's anyway, pretty much everthing that could be done has been done in the genre, so yeh you will see recycled rehashed game mechanics.