Can orchestral music production be another cause of AAA game delays?

SBan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 SBan83
Member since 2019 • 119 Posts

From what I can tell, most of today's big-budget AAA games have orchestra music. And now with corona, orchestras are a no-no as they're a swarm of virus due to the blowing of so many instruments. And it's not something you can do from home, unlike the rest of the game designing.

So will that be another reason for infinite delays of upcoming titles that don't have their music sorted yet?

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15872 Posts

Yes.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17765 Posts

Actually, you can compose with an orchestra from home via virtual instruments and it sounds pretty damn good. However, you will not be able to get the little nuances and subtleties like you would via an orchestra playing live in a hall. This would not cause delays unless they are absolutely set on recording with a live orchestra.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#4 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

@BassMan said:

Actually, you can compose with an orchestra from home via virtual instruments and it sounds pretty damn good. However, you will not be able to get the little nuances and subtleties like you would via an orchestra playing live in a hall. This would not cause delays unless they are absolutely set on recording with a live orchestra.

Synthetic orchestras are more or less fit for purpose, but nothing can beat a live performance.

Atlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Atlass
Member since 2019 • 3 Posts

@sban83 said:

From what I can tell, most of today's big-budget AAA games have orchestra music. And now with corona, orchestras are a no-no as they're a swarm of virus due to the blowing of so many instruments. And it's not something you can do from home, unlike the rest of the game designing.

So will that be another reason for infinite delays of upcoming titles that don't have their music sorted yet?

Today I think with the technology they can pretty much sample in each instrument to combine the music they need for a game, it won´t, of course, be 100% identical

But you may be correct that it may cost delay, but it will all depend on how soon or late in a game production they begin to record the music, I think a developer like Ubisoft or Bethesda once said that they usually do it at the start.

SBan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 SBan83
Member since 2019 • 119 Posts

Like some of you have said, synthesised music is an option but only as a last resort, I'd assume. These AAA game companies want the best for their game if they can help it.

Maybe they'll put an orchestra band in quarantine for 14 days before proceeding with the recordings and not stop till it's finished.