Can I skip Dragon Age 2 in Dragon Age Trilogy?

BigPennis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 BigPennis
Member since 2019 • 2 Posts

Hey, I just finished Dragon Age: Origins, with all the dlc's, Awakening, etc. But I'm really excited about Inquisition, so I was wondering, if I could just skip the second one, and head right away toward the third game. I heard that the second one is the worst from them anyway. But the thing, that I'm a bit concerned about, is if there are gonna be some refferences, or characters, from second Dragon Age, that I will not understand. If, for example, the character that you play in second Dragon Age is somehow important, in the third game, etc. Thank you for every tip.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

Character-wise, 2 introduces a couple of the big characters in Inquisition and the stories are linked. You must be able to google this and find the relevant details, maybe a youtube video or something. I would at least do that, but you're right that 2 is the weakest campaign.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

You should know save files do not transfer into inquisition, you have to pick and choose what happened through EA the keep.

darktruth007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By darktruth007
Member since 2003 • 976 Posts

I got about half way into DA2 and quit because it was so boring. Didn't like the combat system and level design.

You can use the Dragon Age Keep to make decisions without playing DA1 or DA2 - So I would go for that.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I also went straight from Origins to Inquisition just by using the Dragon Age Keep others mentioned and looking up DA2's story online.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

Not to come across as negative but you're better off playing Divinity: Original Sin II.

Bioware games just don't play good.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

You can't and you shouldn't: DA2 gets maligned because of bad game design choices, but the plot is easily the best of the trilogy. It dispenses with much of the fantasy tropes to deliver some pretty cutting social commentary.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

DA2 is excellent game, and you should certainly play thru it. It has great, long storyline, with very interesting characters.

Also, DA Inquisition has more references to DA2 than the first game. So, if you skip DA2 you will be wondering who all these characters and factions are in Inquisition. But if you play DA2 first, it all makes sense and you will feel right at home.

Sure, DA2 has a slow start and can feel bit plain at first. But as your group of heroes grow and the story starts to reveal itself, well, it gets much better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#9 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

You might as well just play all of them, since hey, it's more Dragon Age!

I remember it was much more story-driven and some of the characters were likable. I would look at it as a break from your adventures in origins and inquisition, and even play Hawke or whatever as though they are a story character and not "You".

Jakuline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By Jakuline
Member since 2020 • 7 Posts

You better not skip it since it is Dragon Age, I have played it and DA 2 is really good.

check online for Dragon Age 2's Story and decide it.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#12 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

@bigpennis: My advice is to skip everything after the first one. Just tell yourself that Dragon Age: Origins is a standalone game, and you'll be much happier.

sippio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 sippio
Member since 2015 • 2581 Posts

I really like DA2..

It's similar to the way the majority liked to dislike Batman Arkham Origins..

~It revist the same map from the 1st act but with a different faction in charge...

*The game like all Bioware games has a economy issue. Atleast da1+2 did with how much gold it cost to buy 1 good ring or whatnot..it woulda taken me a long time to buy 1 item for just 1 character. I love grinding but not that way...

There is a simple merchant cheat that dupes items that a lot of people used.. you put ur own rules on how much u can buy etc..

I used this and looked at it as a good thing... The DLC is decent too.. I liked the emporium..

I didn't like Inquisition.. tomAto tomato.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58304 Posts

You can skip DA 2, not just because the lore is not all that important to DA 3, but also because it is a mediocre game.

Just find out what characters from 2 are in 3 (I Can't even remember if there are, that's how little DA 2 matters...) and google their story.

DA: I is a great game, don't let anyone tell you otherwise (and a lot will try). It has really great world design, too, perfect mix of large maps with great detail; feels like open-world but with none of the "this game world is too big and boring" feeling to it.

*I come off a bit harsh on DA 2, it's not that bad. It's the ME: Andromeda of the DA series. As a DA game it sucks, but as a game game it really is not that bad. You can have fun with it if you want to.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Just skip everything except Origins.

Dragon Age 2 is an okay game, but it's nowhere near what made the original great.

Inquisition is a boring action game.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

@pyro1245 said:

Inquisition is a boring action game.

An action game would be a whole different comparison, my main issue is it's so structurally flawed as a game, it's almost nerving seeing Bioware fans defend this game and Andromeda. It's the reason why they ended up with Anthem because standards hit an all time low.

But to save fault just going to paste an older review I had for Inquisition after beating it on Nightmare. Think it hits all the notes for why the game is what it is-

Only merit to DA:I is modern production values, it all runs smoothly with a nice sound track. Compliments ending here, it's a shallow game.

The actual quests are a one-note MMO from over a decade ago, generic as they come, usually involving sticking a 'hologram' flag on land just because, RP walking because people just love that trope, closing portals like Oblivion (worst feature in that game), or Super Man 64 racing sections (I kid you not DA:I has this).

Level design is horrible, just clumps of mass with no depth to change your gamplay experience. On the note of the experience, enemy respawns happen based on character distance radius, that's right, you can see a team of solders respawn just after you killed them if you move so much as an inch.

This could be forgiven if the combat wasn't so clunky and repetitive, holds no depth, the A.I. is just stupid, rarely doing anything to challenge outside having a numbered advantage.

Tactical Mode they manage to make the camera a bigger enemy than Dragon bosses.

Add towards this unforgettable plot about 'politics'. . Not even well established or noted, Inquisition implies you already know the lore of Dragon's Age to the point you care for all this garbage that's going on. Which would be tough if any of the games play half as bad as this one. The notion I got was every NPC would rather discuss matters in a castle, drink wine, and **** each other than dealing with any troubles outside. That's the plot from a new investor in this series.

I can honestly call DA:I one of the worst RPG games I have experienced in every area that counts. It is so dam bad. Glossing up a game will only attract a very small, and extremely easily pleased/ deluded crowd. It offers nothing else of value. Avoid this game!

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:

Tactical Mode they manage to make the camera a bigger enemy than Dragon bosses.

That right there killed it for me. In what could only be a big F.U. to people who like the game play of Origins they prevent the camera from zooming out far enough to effectively plan and micro-manage your characters. Not that your characters will do what you tell them to anyway.

Shantmaster_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#18 Shantmaster_K
Member since 2008 • 1790 Posts

I don't recommend it.

HankMulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HankMulder
Member since 2020 • 203 Posts

Even tho Inquisition continues straight after DAO2, it can be skipped because it doesn't do any good world building.

Check synopsis of DAO2 and enjoy Inquisition .

marleygamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 marleygamer
Member since 2020 • 132 Posts

i liked DA2

i thot it was a cool progression after DA1

but DA INQUISITION is teh > DA game and u can get it 4 XBOX 1

Avatar image for thatstevedawson
ThatSteveDawson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ThatSteveDawson
Member since 2020 • 16 Posts

I would say play it. Its more Dragon Age story which I really enjoyed.

Ottyandthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ottyandthedj
Member since 2020 • 113 Posts

Dragon age 2 is pretty good. It begins well. Nice scenes in it, the game goes on and gets pretty intriguing. I gave it a shot around the time it released, and was surprised. haven't played many games like that.

I don't know about skipping it or not, but im sure it has some good stuff going on