Can Anthem be saved by becoming Sea of Thieves?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11664 Posts

Before I begin apologies if anyone takes this personally, I just get fed up with people supporting bad business, and games that are making the industry worse overall for all of us, and inspiring other developers to do the same.

Anyone remember Anthem? Nor me till this, it's some micro-transaction game many on the forums defended because of nostalgia for Bioware; some developer that makes Effecting Mass.

Well anywho! EA and Bioware think they've found the perfect sauce to fix this train-wreck, or atleast bring back people who were gullible to begin with. And that is add pirates. It's so simple_

What a good use of a year+ trying to fix a turd. When one is at the bottom you can only go up right? That's Biowares motto. .

Personally I don't think aesthetics was Anthems problem, Bioware makes games with amazing production values. Fault is everything else, it's shallow and repetitive, also controls like garbage. It's not that difficult to grasp.

Anthem from my perspective wanted to be Monster Hunter (or Destiny maybe to people who don't know MH) but couldn't remotely capture what makes either enjoyable.

Bioware created shiny single-player roleplay games with dating simulator side activities. They really didn't have the skills or talent for a project like this. And was in serious need of programmers/ designers that understand fundamental depth and replay-value. Which apparently they didn't bother to put as a job listing. .

*So what is Games Discussions hot-take on the matter. Buying day one because Bioware, no chance, or will wait and see?

Lembu90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2 Lembu90
Member since 2015 • 665 Posts

If Anthem is a single-player game and was published by anyone except EA, it wouldn't suck as much but too bad it was already doomed from start.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26086 Posts

It would be best to drop it and not sink more money into it.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RSM-HQ
@Willy105 said:

It would be best to drop it and not sink more money into it.

Couldn't agree more. New hat, same game.

The money they burned on Anthem is gone. Then again doesn't seem EA or Bioware learn lessons, they just push blame elsewhere and repeat mistakes_

Lembu90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Lembu90
Member since 2015 • 665 Posts

@Willy105: I think that's for the best but unfortunately with EA in charge, they want this corpse of the game to stay alive.

Anthem is dead and there is no reason for EA to continue milking it.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34565 Posts

lol.

I'm perfectly fine without turd games from turd publishers and developers, thank you very much.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RSM-HQ
@Litchie said:

lol.

I'm perfectly fine without turd games from turd publishers and developers, thank you very much.

Would be nice for sure, but some still see hope in Bioware and Electronic Arts. Not sure why.

From a talent standpoint only thing EA has going for it is Respawn Entertainment, and Respawn are better off cutting loose before things go dire.

If it wasn't for renewed licencing contracts with soccer teams to scam the sports market, EA would have been dead and buried long ago.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#8 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56033 Posts

I played Anthem through EA Origin Premier last year, Gameplay was great, I like the flying mechanic and its something you really don't see everyday and the graphics are amazing...but than again, I play it on PC. Anyhow, Bioware really set the bar way too high, they were clearly not ready for MMO like, they wanted to test themselves and see if they can make a lot of money by becoming Destiny 2.0 and it doesn't pan out. Again, I like it, but I sure ain't gonna defend its lack of quality of content. Gamers blame EA when EA had nothing to do with it but that's another story.

Unlike both Sea of Thieves & No Man's Sky, (which in return I really like No Man's Sky when it launch and still do to this day) Anthem is really a lose cause, the flying part was fun but that's about it. Bioware is really wasting money on reviving this game and all that money/resource could have went towards the next Dragon Age...and that's another thing, I have no faith in the nexy Dragon Age game until I read reviews.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RSM-HQ
@davillain- said:

I played Anthem through EA Origin Premier last year, Gameplay was great, I like the flying mechanic

What was "great" about the gameplay? I'm curious. Did you think the shooting was good? Found it pretty average, if not slightly below av_

Tried the free weekend they had a few months after release didn't think it played great exactly but the flying was pretty smooth, didn't seem the game was really built around the flying though, hence all the bad A.I., loading and destination tracking. Was also noted the trail version I played was apparently far more stable, so I likely played a better version than the one at launch.

Cannot even recommend it for when it was free honestly when stuff like Fortnite exists. Content wasn't its problem. It was execution. Anthem seemed like a game that wanted to be so much, but couldn't pin down a goal/ direction/ actual structure.

Gamers blame EA when EA had nothing to do with it but that's another story.

Not true. I covered that in an older thread a year ago, (you also posted in it) was it all Electronic Arts fault? no. I would say both played a big part in its failure.

Bioware are not victims here, they're a bunch of misfits with poor management. Yet the showing at e3 was EA and Bio heads concept, Bioware staff didn't even know that was the game they was 'told' to put together, and let's not forget and pretend an engine wasn't muscled in that couldn't do what Electronic Arts wanted the game to be.

And worth noting Anthem was in development for seven years. No excuses for how bad it turned out.

Anthem was just money thrown_bad ideas, with no realistic goals from what the inside information tells.

Sea of Thieves & No Man's Sky

They both seemed to of had a template at least what they wanted to be. Those games ran well and had something interesting about what they are. A canvas to work from_

Anthem is none of those. Was a game thrown in the sky and crashing like shattered eggs. If they pull off a success story? it would be a miracle, not impossible but very unlikely. I don't think it's wise to support a developer with a publisher that has consistently spat in gamers/ more importantly Bioware loyalists, faces.

I'm glad to be proven wrong about No Man's Sky though, I was way off with that game. Sea of Thieves I played at launch and haven't found my way back yet. . One day maybe.

And while I wish the same for any game, I just don't think Bioware is going to do it. They'll just blame Breath of Wild 2 next time and call it a day.