Can a PS2 play all PS1 games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Superdude475

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 Superdude475
Member since 2005 • 1887 Posts
I'm asking this because, I remember when the PS2 first came out a lot of people complained about how it couldn't play some games and that the data of old games couldn't save onto PS2 memory cards.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts
I have no problem playing PSX games on the PS2. Although you do need a PSX memory card in order to save your progress.
VVatson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 VVatson
Member since 2006 • 714 Posts

I bought my PS2 right after it came out and I wasn't too happy with the launch titles so I basically played PS1 games for a while, they all should work fine, just need a memory card.

Pripyat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Pripyat
Member since 2007 • 991 Posts

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/List-of-PlayStation-games-incompatible-with-PlayStation-2

Newer slims (SCPH-7700x?) also have problems with static sound in Resident Evil 2 and other PS1 games, there are even some PS2 games that won't work with newer slims.

ramboturd72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 ramboturd72
Member since 2008 • 3514 Posts

The PS2 can play all ps1 games except for a select few. Here's a list of some PS1 games that are known not to work on PS2 models:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#6 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
Depends on which version it is. The original "fatty" PS2's actually have the ps1 chip in hardware... it's just that when a ps2 game is loaded, the ps1 chip is then used as an I/O controller... and in some versions of Sony's SDK, it could optionally be used (if the dev was sure they weren't going to be using any of its USB/firewire ports) to be a secondary co-processor to offload tasks to. When a PS1 game is loaded though, the boot loader transfers control from the EE to this chip, and uses the GS component to replace the PS1's GPU. On the newer, slimline PStwo's, this ps1 chip and its RAM are removed, and a software emulator is used for PS1 games. Further, the EE/GS are overclocked to compensate for the inefficiencies of the emulator. So this BC is imperfect, and could also cause problems for those ps2 games that used that chip as well.
raidensalvador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 raidensalvador
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Im confused can I play unoriginal ps1 games on the ps2?
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Mostly. But there are a handful that can't play on the PS2. I know Mortal Kombat Trilogy has problems on the PS2.

saosebastiao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 saosebastiao
Member since 2006 • 140 Posts

I have a "Fat" Ps2 since 2003, and I usually never put ps1 games on it. Some games freeze (Star Ocean 2, Grandia, Silent Bomber), and sometimes they won't simply load, and I think this is not because of the console's hardware, but because of how the Ps2 tray was designed. When I place the cds on the tray and hit the eject button to close it, sometimes the Ps2 will make a strange sound (sounds like the cd can't spin and the console is having trouble reading it). When I hear it, I know that the game will not work, and more importantly, there's a risk of the Cd being scratched and tus ruining it. Bear in mind that I have a Pal Ps2, Idk about Ntsc/ u Ps2's. 

Still, if I were you, I would buy a Ps1 console, they're dirt cheap these days.

LAN7ERN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LAN7ERN
Member since 2013 • 352 Posts
I have never had a problem playing PS1 games on my PS2.
BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

I have a "Fat" Ps2 since 2003, and I usually never put ps1 games on it. Some games freeze (Star Ocean 2, Grandia, Silent Bomber), and sometimes they won't simply load, and I think this is not because of the console's hardware, but because of how the Ps2 tray was designed. When I place the cds on the tray and hit the eject button to close it, sometimes the Ps2 will make a strange sound (sounds like the cd can't spin and the console is having trouble reading it). When I hear it, I know that the game will not work, and more importantly, there's a risk of the Cd being scratched and tus ruining it. Bear in mind that I have a Pal Ps2, saosebastiao

Your PS2 is dying. That was the first sign of my fattie being on the way out. Next it'll start rejecting PS2 games.

saosebastiao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 saosebastiao
Member since 2006 • 140 Posts

Your PS2 is dying. That was the first sign of my fattie being on the way out. Next it'll start rejecting PS2 games.

BarbaricAvatar

Considering it's been doing that for 10 years now, I'd say it's pretty much alive. It plays all Ps2 games, even the Cd-rom ones, with no problem or sound whatsoever.