Can a game still be one of your favorites...

GasGor2978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GasGor2978
Member since 2007 • 46 Posts

...even if you have absolutely no hope/chance of ever beating it without resorting to cheating?

This was going to be a long, drawn-out thread where I explain a ton of frankly unnessecary detail, which I don't wanna bore you with, so let's cut to the chase:

I wanna make Batman 89 for SEGA Genesis, Batman Returns & Batman Forever for SNES, and Batman & Robin for PS1 my favorite video games, as I'm a major Batman fan and the 1989-1997 Movie Series is my favorite incarnation of Batman. I wanna be able to beat all four games on a regular basis and play them anywhere anytime (I have OCD). I have zero hope of ever beating B&R PS1 without cheating, because of how frustrating and complicated the game is. I'd go with the game.com version, but game.com games are not playable anywhere anytime because only two emulators support them (newer versions of MAME and the official game.com emulator).

I'm at my wit's end trying to figure out what to do about this. I don't wanna axe B&R from my favorite games completely, because I have an archive that houses all four movies as well as a soundtrack, comic book adaptation, and video game adaptation for each movie. Obviously it wouldn't be fair if there were only three games in the archive instead of four...

EDIT:
Someone on another forum made a trainer program just for me, that I can inject into my Batman & Robin PS1 ISO so I can turn on invincibility at startup! For the longest time, I've only dreamed of being able to do this, and now that it's a reality, I can keep the game as one of my favorites and in my archive! I also injected Infinite Life codes into Batman 89, Batman Returns, and Batman Forever for fairness sake. I did have to replace the SNES version of Forever with the arguably moderately better Genesis version, since that version's Infinite Life code actually works.

Oh and to that one guy: I have already beaten Batman 89 (Genesis) and Returns (SNES) numerous times. I do have to use cheats to beat Forever as well as Batman & Robin...

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 4879 Posts

Yep. I will never git gud enough to beat Ikaruga. Still think the game is great. Same with the Souls series.

GasGor2978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GasGor2978
Member since 2007 • 46 Posts

@judaspete: Thank You. That's all I needed!

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 10114 Posts

Can a game still be one of your favorites... even if you have absolutely no hope/chance of ever beating it without resorting to cheating?

Never needed cheats to ever beat a game I enjoy. They can be fun however so am open to the idea on replaying a game.

Find in game design a big difference between games that punish the player, and a game that offers a challenge. I welcome challenges in my games.

*On that note; back to the Ninja Gaiden: Collection.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 7824 Posts

I don't see why not.

RimWorld has no win condition.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 13896 Posts

@GasGor2978: How about using the same emulator functions used for tool assisted runs, and then practicing to execute the same moves in the actual game?

Maybe playing those sections at 50% speed and then increasing that over time until you can perform it at 100%?

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 12402 Posts

Yep. Dont diminish my love for the games at all. Especially RPGs, I love Fallout 3 so much cause I really enjoyed using the dev console.

Well maybe except for Simulation genres, the whole goal of sim games is to build your empire from ground up so its no fun playing with cheats. Especially role playing sim games like Harvest Moon/Story of Season, why would you even use cheats in those kind of games it defeats the purpose.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#9 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 3825 Posts

I think almost all my favourite snes and nes games were ones I couldn't beat without cheating in some way. Zero chance in beating battletoads no matter how many times I practiced the hellish bike part.

I beat Contra Alien wars on the snes, but I had to play the easiest difficulty to do it and even then if I remember correctly I somewhat cheated and had my character do auto fire on respawning enemies for a few hrs to get extra lives to be sure I would have enough to finish the game.

My favourite difficult games of all time on the PC are Jagged Alliance 1 and 2. I can beat them on easy... but on the highest difficulty... no way in hell. I do a bit of cheats when I put higher difficulties in them... either that or you quicksave scum which in a way you could call cheating.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 5

#10 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2968 Posts

Yeah, doesn't matter to me. All in it for the experience.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 3371 Posts

I’m going to have to agree with my compadres in this thread and say yes. BTW if I can’t complete a game because I’m not good at it, it would be my fault wouldn’t it?? Unless Ofcourse the game punishes the player unfairly.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 4414 Posts

Who resorts to cheating? If you cannot beat it without cheats, mods, or save states, then you failed, and you will never be on the same pedestal of those who have beaten those games legitimately. You can still enjoy it, sure, no reason you cannot. There's no requirement anywhere that says you must beat something in order to like it. And I have beaten many games that I thought were trash.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Sure. Some of my favorite NES games as a kid were hard as hell. Some games I loved but never beat:

Little Nemo: The Dream Master
Rush'n'Attack
Adventures of Lolo
Faxanadu
Gremlins 2

Currently playing Spelunky 2, and I don't think I'll ever beat that either. Never got to the end in the first one. Still love it.