Buying, and not playing games.

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SonicX_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SonicX_89
Member since 2008 • 573 Posts

Every so often when browsing the forums, I see people saying that they have games they have yet to play and they are still sealed in the plastic. I always find that statement to be a little odd. I have a ton of games that I need to finish, but new games always take precedence and are booted up as soon as I get them. I can totally understand getting to games later on, but not playing them at all when first purchased, even just for a bit, is kinda...odd.

Avatar image for callsignneptune
callsignneptune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 callsignneptune
Member since 2010 • 256 Posts

As a collector I'm constantly buying games and therefore I have to prioritise which ones will get played first. While it may take me a few months to get round to others they still get played and enjoyed. I just don't have to time to play everything I buy immediately so that system works best for me. I don't really see what the problem is with leaving them for a while, surely it's better to do so than to try and rush through them, not enjoying them and desperately trying to finish them in time for the next time I go out and purchase some more.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#3 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
This gen seems to have been particularly ripe for price drops and sales, and I've ordered a lot of discount games here and there, usually when I'm already playing something else. They can pile up a bit as a result. Which is fine, as there are parts of the year (like right now) where game releases dry up a bit and it's nice to have a small unplayed section of my library I can dig into. But yeah, like you, I almost always put in a new game, even if it's just for a quick play before going back on the shelf. I only have one or two games that are still sealed.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts
Yeah I'll usually try out a game for at least a little bit when I get them just to check it out but sometimes I'll just end up getting side tracked by something else whether it be gaming related or not and just not get around to checking out the game for awhile. I find this happening more so this gen because there are so many games that interest me and there seem to be a lot more good deals.
kingkarl123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 kingkarl123
Member since 2011 • 192 Posts

I sometimes have a pile of games there, that have all been played but not finished. I don't think i have ever had a game sit there in it's shirnk wrap for months, as any game i buy from new from the shop,i have normally waited months to buy.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#6 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Yeah, people get tied up with work and just don't have time to play the games they buy even though they want to. It's happened to me a few times where i'd buy a game and then completely forget that I have it because i've moved on to something more urgent. Although, its a nice surprise when I suddenly remember I have a still new game to play :)

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
For me personally, it happens when I see games on sale and buy them. I am usually playing a much newer game at the time so the one's I just purchased on sale go into my shelf.
Atmanix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Atmanix
Member since 2009 • 6927 Posts

For me personally, it happens when I see games on sale and buy them. I am usually playing a much newer game at the time so the one's I just purchased on sale go into my shelf.Dracula68

Yeah, I'm the same way. I was at Target last night for instance and saw X:Men Wolverine along with Vanquish for $10 each in the clearance section. I grabbed both but I won't be touching them until I'm done with Mass Effect 2.

teufelherz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 teufelherz
Member since 2004 • 1315 Posts

[QUOTE="Dracula68"]For me personally, it happens when I see games on sale and buy them. I am usually playing a much newer game at the time so the one's I just purchased on sale go into my shelf.Atmanix

Yeah, I'm the same way. I was at Target last night for instance and saw X:Men Wolverine along with Vanquish for $10 each in the clearance section. I grabbed both but I won't be touching them until I'm done with Mass Effect 2.

The same goes for me. That of being on sale and that I have started collecting them. I just recently purchased the first Tenchu sealed. It will probably remain sealed forever as I am not even sure that I will ever get around to playing it.

FinalB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FinalB
Member since 2011 • 160 Posts

I do it myself even though its unintional. Its usually just that I can find the time to play them. I might be preoccupied with other games to the point where I end up forgetting to play the new ones I buy.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Well, I do get a lot of games and all of them day 1. If I get several games around the same timeframe, I start off with one and leave the others sealed. Like playing Agarest Zero now while having Dungeon Siege 3 sealed. Until I'm finished with it, and I probbaly will finish it before changing the game, I will have evben more sealed games, like DWG3 as well. Now I like Dynasty Warriors games more than dungeon siege games, which leads to DS3 being longer sealed and as time passes it can take months until I finally want to play it :S

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dracula68

Well, I do get a lot of games and all of them day 1. If I get several games around the same timeframe, I start off with one and leave the others sealed. Like playing Agarest Zero now while having Dungeon Siege 3 sealed. Until I'm finished with it, and I probbaly will finish it before changing the game, I will have evben more sealed games, like DWG3 as well. Now I like Dynasty Warriors games more than dungeon siege games, which leads to DS3 being longer sealed and as time passes it can take months until I finally want to play it :S

ArchoNils2

But games that are short like DS III you can get used or just rent like I did and save 60 bones plus tax.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

[QUOTE="ArchoNils2"]

Dracula68

But games that are short like DS III you can get used or just rent like I did and save 60 bones plus tax.

Well, I have more than enough money and I can afford to pay more to support the devs and have a perfect fine copy for my huge collection.

SummerHillard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SummerHillard
Member since 2011 • 414 Posts

When I happen to buy a game has absolutely nothing to do with when I actually feel like playing it and everything to do with when it goes on sale. I might stock up during a big promotion/deal online, but I will continue to play my games in the order that I have pretty much planned out ahead of time.

beefalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 beefalo
Member since 2003 • 302 Posts

agreed here...if i get something new, i want to open it and try it right away, i don't have the patience to wait around for it....also why buy it if i am not going to try it right now? theres no point...

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

I buy games at pretty high rates and typically play them when I feel like it.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

I agree I suppose. At least, leaving it in the plastic sounds strange to me, I open them up as soon as I'm in the car going home.

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

I'm not guilty of this, but my brother bought GTA4 a year and a half ago and hasn't even opened it yet. It saddens me every time I think about it. :cry:

xdeathpandax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 xdeathpandax
Member since 2010 • 170 Posts

Well this year at uni there was a CEX store close by so I found myself buying a whole bunch of games, some I still haven't even got around to playing as I like to go all the way through a game before starting on others or I will just end up with a shelf full of half completed games.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#20 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

Every so often when browsing the forums, I see people saying that they have games they have yet to play and they are still sealed in the plastic. I always find that statement to be a little odd. I have a ton of games that I need to finish, but new games always take precedence and are booted up as soon as I get them. I can totally understand getting to games later on, but not playing them at all when first purchased, even just for a bit, is kinda...odd.

SonicX_89

I agree. What I don't understand is why would somebody buy a new game only not to play it for whatever reason, when they could not buy it and let the price drop and drop and THEN pick it up when they do have the time. Unless they're already doing this, but even then the more time passes the cheaper it gets. Makes no sense. The only way it does is if they have some ethical objection to buying used games.

Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#21 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts
Besides being a gamer I'm also a collector, so I do buy games sometimes and wait a while to play them. Often I'll be in the middle of playing another game when I find the game on sale somewhere. I will get to it eventually though.
Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#22 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

i think it's a terrible shame that a lot of gamers tend to buy games, shelf them, and sometimes never open the boxes.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

I could never keep the games on the shelf like that. I will however, buy the occasional game, play for an few hours and not pick it up again for a few months later, more because work keeps be from playing like I used to. I just finished Dead Rising 2, and I bought the game back in January.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#24 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
As mainly a PC gamer, there are so many great Steam and digital sales deals. You could end up buying a lot of $5-10 games and it doesn't hurt so much if you don't get around to them until later.
Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#25 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

I have 10-15 titles that I need to get into. I get them at discounted prices so I don't feel bad about not playing them for months/years. I don't game as much as I did when I was single.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#26 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
It's not odd at all. It's just a matter of not having the time to get to them. And people like me are trying to focus on playing one game at a time. Some people just buy new games they want so they don't forget about them later, or in instances like Disgaea, they'll buy them because they know they won't be around forever.
anirin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 anirin
Member since 2011 • 69 Posts

Took me a year to open Mass Effect 2. 6 months for Uncharted 2. Currently I have Alan Wake since Christmas, unopened, and Chrono Trigger (DS) the other day still in its wrapping.

It's silly I know, but I tend to save games I really want to experience properly and get engaged in without other commitments or games getting in the way. You could argue I may as well wait and buy them when I'm ready, but in the past games I wanted but never got round to buying end up rare and expensive so I guess I'm conscious about that.

Lord_Warsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lord_Warsaw
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I still have Devil May Cry 4 unopened, since 2008. Why? I don't know, maybe I'll play it someday.
FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts

I'm a gamer and collector with a backlog of 1,500+ games probably. I never buy a game with the intention of never playing it. I only buy games that I actually have an interest in playing whether I'm insanely hyped for it or just slighlty interested. The problem comes in with my gaming time, I only game 1-3 days a week for 2-4 hours on average while I buy between 20-50 games per month for about 6-7 systems. I never keep any of my games sealed because I don't collect games to resell later on. My lifestyle isn't for everyone of course but I haven't had any major problems with it besides not being able to ever catch up.

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

I see where you are coming from, but there has come a point in my gaming life that I want to make sure I have enough room in my rotation (I am typically into 2-4 games at a time) for a new game to be fully enjoyed, otherwise I will get into the mindset that I just need to rush through the game to get onto the next title, rather than taking the time to explore the depth of my games, from time to time, this means that I will have unopened games sitting in my collection.

I also currently have an unopened game that I got as a gift. I will play it when I get the time, just as soon as my more desired games are played to my hearts content.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#31 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

i can say i bought 1 game i have never opened and it was bought in 2000 , zapper for pc , still in its plastic i have never played it never opened it , and i have no intention to lol

but ya i dont have but that one game that has never been played/opened though i have a few used games i havent played yet , because as a collector of snes n64 gc ps1 and all older games , i can say i can probably live without playing these lol but i play those so ,

w/e

i have countless games dont ask what they are cause i can only show you my profile and some of the games i have havent been put into it so its not a complete-its 99 percent complete i just havent been adding games to it recently -i finally added ffvii and the 2 gb games i just bought but i think there is a wii game i havent added or a n64 ;/ps1 title as well as a few snes games , plus this site seams to bug out and delete games from my collection so its not going to stay 90 percent complete

the best system i have is probably 3ds wii and snes -not hard to see as i still buy games for these

travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

I'm like that with my Ps2 collection mostly because a lot of the games are so cheap now.

Last week I bought 3 good games for $8 all together, I just couldn't resist.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Rekunta

I'm a gamer and collector with a backlog of 1,500+ games probably. I never buy a game with the intention of never playing it. I only buy games that I actually have an interest in playing whether I'm insanely hyped for it or just slighlty interested. The problem comes in with my gaming time, I only game 1-3 days a week for 2-4 hours on average while I buy between 20-50 games per month for about 6-7 systems. I never keep any of my games sealed because I don't collect games to resell later on. My lifestyle isn't for everyone of course but I haven't had any major problems with it besides not being able to ever catch up.

FlamesOfGrey

This is what doesn't make sense to me. If you have a backlog of 1,500 games (honestly a bit hard to believe), I assume that many are fairly old at this point? Do you buy them new? Why not wait till the price drops and pick them up later on? Seems like an awful waste of money when you could be getting them for a 5th of the price a few years down the road when you DO have the time.

ZEYAAM898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 ZEYAAM898
Member since 2009 • 1921 Posts
I bought Red faction Armageddon and havent played it yet.
skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 skooks
Member since 2006 • 1411 Posts

As a collector, the issue for me is price and availability. If I see a game I'm interested in ridiculously cheap, or a rare/sought after game for a decent price, I will pick it up even if I don't intend to play it for a while. Yesterday I picked up The World Ends With You for example, a game in short supply, high demand and one that usually fetches £30 on eBay. I found it for half the price and bought it even though I probably won't play it for a while because I have other games on the go right now. I would rather pick it up now for a good price than later for more money, and that's pretty much how I approach most games I buy.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FlamesOfGrey

[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"]

Rekunta

This is what doesn't make sense to me. If you have a backlog of 1,500 games (honestly a bit hard to believe), I assume that many are fairly old at this point? Do you buy them new? Why not wait till the price drops and pick them up later on? Seems like an awful waste of money when you could be getting them for a 5th of the price a few years down the road when you DO have the time.

Sometimes I do wait for price drops and sometimes I don't, it depends on how I feel about it. I'm also a collector and myincome andfinances are well enough to support my spending habits without any strain at all so, it works for me. I doubt I'll ever have the time to catch up unless I become a gaming hermit at this point so, that's just reality. If you want to see some of my collection (since you find it hard to believe)you can go here: www.youtube.com/darkabyssgaming My full collection isn't up there yet but my current generation one is.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
I have lost: the game which I got in a bundle with my PS3...big surprise, I haven't played it I have yet to finish RDR but thats because I got half way through and it wiped my save
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Rekunta

[QUOTE="Rekunta"]

[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"]

FlamesOfGrey

Sometimes I do wait for price drops and sometimes I don't, it depends on how I feel about it. I'm also a collector and myincome andfinances are well enough to support my spending habits without any strain at all so, it works for me. I doubt I'll ever have the time to catch up unless I become a gaming hermit at this point so, that's just reality. If you want to see some of my collection (since you find it hard to believe)you can go here: My full collection isn't up there yet but my current generation one is.

:o

Holy CHRIST. And that's not your full collection? Jeez Louise. That's just crazy, you could open up your own store with all of that. Alright, I believe you now. :)

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#39 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I usually finish one game before starting on the next, so I don't stick a new disk in just because it arrived in the mail today. I buy a game with the intention of starting on it when I've finished my current game, but then maybe I buy another game in the meantime, and when I do finish my current game I'm not really in the mood for either of those because this third game has caught my eye.

You tend to end up with a bit of a backlog that way. :)

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

I'm a big spender on that.....

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#41 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

I personally don't understand it. I think some people have more money than sense.

Avatar image for TheRaiderNation
TheRaiderNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TheRaiderNation
Member since 2007 • 1653 Posts

Sometimes if I see a pretty good sale on a game OR a price drop/baragin on an older game I will buy them, but not play them for a few weeks to a few months after the purchase. I recently came across Blur on clearance for $8.99 and Alpha Protocol for $10, and they are still wrapped/sealed and will stay this way for at least a few more weeks. I don't think this is odd at all, as I am buying a game on clearance or sale with the intent on playing it in the future.

I will never purchase a game that has just released and not play. I have seen people mention they have done this in forums alot, and I think its silly because if they just wait, they'll catch many price drops on the game. Why buy a game at $60 when it releases and not play it for a weeks or even months after they bought it. They could have waited until the price drops if they weren't going to play the game in the first place!

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Dracula68

you can go here: www.youtube.com/darkabyssgaming My full collection isn't up there yet but my current generation one is.FlamesOfGrey
That could be anybody you linked too:?

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 FlamesOfGrey

[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"]you can go here: www.youtube.com/darkabyssgaming My full collection isn't up there yet but my current generation one is.Dracula68

That could be anybody you linked too:?

FlamesOfGrey is my name on forums and DarkAbyssGaming I use for streaming sites (JTV / UStream etc...) and Youtube. If you want proof just ask I'll record a video just for you. Many people on this forum have seen my collections in picture form before but my camera broke and I haven't bought a new one since I don't use them. If you want a video ask.

Edit: Nevermind, I did one for you anyway:

http://s1126.photobucket.com/albums/l619/DarkAbyssGaming/?action=view¤t=SomeOfMyGamingCollection.mp4

ondeena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ondeena
I'll usually try a game out the day I buy it. I recently purchased Borderlands, but so far I can't get into it. Same goes with AC2. I really didn't care for FO3 the first time I played it either but I picked it up again one day and since have played about 80 hours on it.
Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

A game has to be REALLY intresting before I even consider picking it up; and even then I look at reviews, gameplay videos, a walkthrough before actually deciding whether or not to buy it. In short, I don't buy games that don't appeal to me.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

I've become more of a collector in recent months. After finding a local used book store that also deals in much older games, I've paid many a visit to stock up on titles from years ago that I never got around to buying. As such, I've bought well over a few dozen games, many of them RPGs, so I don't have time to play through them all.

Nowadays I just seem to sample for a few hours, then shelf the game for a few months before finishing it. It pains me on such a deep level.

AzureDragon013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AzureDragon013

@FlamesOfGrey

wow you sir, have one epic collection. I'm a bit jelly :S though only a bit. Cuz ik there's no way i would be able to play all those games :?

So i have one question for you, exactly how do you go about removing a game from the bottom of the stack? XD

jubino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49 jubino
Member since 2005 • 6265 Posts

I've bought games that I didn't initially play right away, but everything in my collection now has been played, although not everything has been beaten.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 FlamesOfGrey
[QUOTE="AzureDragon013"]

@FlamesOfGrey

wow you sir, have one epic collection. I'm a bit jelly :S though only a bit. Cuz ik there's no way i would be able to play all those games :?

So i have one question for you, exactly how do you go about removing a game from the bottom of the stack? XD

Yeah, I'll probably never play every game either since there are always new ones coming out that I will buy. I literally take every game down from the shelf lol. I need to buy some better shelves however, I just haven't bothered to do so yet.