Broken cartridge?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

I just received my copy of Secret Of Evermore that I bought over eBay.But the game starts,it get's to the starting screen then poof,no more visual,but it still get sound. I'll try running it on a different console to see what happens.

Soooooooooooo,could I have bought a broken cartridge?

_Pinbot_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 _Pinbot_
Member since 2008 • 1062 Posts
Yep. Its a possibility.
Avatar image for mastetofthedark
mastetofthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 mastetofthedark
Member since 2008 • 16924 Posts
Yup. I never trust ebay. I'd go for amazon.
Avatar image for Videogamefan123
Videogamefan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Videogamefan123
Member since 2007 • 941 Posts

Try cleaning it first. Heres how you clean it. First get windex, q-tips, and paper towels. If you don't want to use windex some people say rubbing alcohol works too. First lie down one paper towel this is for windex only and it's to prevent it from getting all over the place. Next spray some windex onto one end of the q-tip and rub with gentle force one side of the connectors in the cartridge, to use alcohol just dip one end of the q-tip into the alcohol and rub with gentle force on one side of the connectors. Next do the same as above but on the other end of the q-tip and the other side of the connectors. The reason this works better then blowing into it is because this dissolve and oxidation and corrosion that has built up over time I prefer windex over alcohol though because alcohol is to strong of an acid. Also blowing into your games speeds up the oxidation and corrosion process. The only reason blowing ever worked is because the moisture in your breath helped make a better connection. But it doesn't work after awhile because all the corrosion and oxidation prevents a connection from being made.

Videogamefan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Videogamefan123

Yup. I never trust ebay. I'd go for amazon.mastetofthedark

I don't think its broken because hes still getting sound and video. I just think some of the pins on the cartridge aren't making a decent connection.

Videogamefan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Videogamefan123

Yup. I never trust ebay. I'd go for amazon.mastetofthedark
\

Also I've had very good excpierience with ebay and I've only had two instances with it. One was a game with a bad end label because the guy used a stock picture and I never recieved one game but that might have been the USPS's fault. The feedback system exsits for a reason just only buy from people 95% and up

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts
my method of cleaning carts is wet a corner of a rag then twist the wet part to make it lightly wet then scrub
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MonsieurX
Thanks for the tips,i'll try that.
Videogamefan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Videogamefan123

my method of cleaning carts is wet a corner of a rag then twist the wet part to make it lightly wet then scrubbigM10231

Like I said before the moisture in your breath damages the cart. So cleaning a cart with water is just doing the same thing as blowing into it and is damaiging the catridge in long run

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MonsieurX
Tested the Windex,got a little better but I still can't play.
z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

[QUOTE="bigM10231"]my method of cleaning carts is wet a corner of a rag then twist the wet part to make it lightly wet then scrubVideogamefan123

Like I said before the moisture in your breath damages the cart. So cleaning a cart with water is just doing the same thing as blowing into it and is damaiging the catridge in long run

this is insane, people were blowing in video game carts for years and there were never really any problems, i had an nes for about 15 years and i blew in all the games and never had any problems. i say blow in it, you might have just bought a hosed cartridge.

GAMECAMILLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#12 GAMECAMILLER
Member since 2005 • 4994 Posts
Is the connector lose? How do the connector's look? clean or not? It's a connector problem for sure, but it might not be one solved with cleaning.
bbeastieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bbeastieboy
Member since 2005 • 84 Posts

How do people not understand the corrosion of the brass connector pins? Why do you think we use discs now? Certainly not to put more data into a game..

Keep using the windex and q-tip trick over and over until your q-tips come out clean...

Videogamefan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Videogamefan123
[QUOTE="Videogamefan123"]

[QUOTE="bigM10231"]my method of cleaning carts is wet a corner of a rag then twist the wet part to make it lightly wet then scrubz4twenny

this is insane, people were blowing in video game carts for years and there were never really any problems, i had an nes for about 15 years and i blew in all the games and never had any problems. i say blow in it, you might have just bought a hosed cartridge.

Blowing damages in the long run. You can blow into games for a few years and then one day it won't work. This corrossion might only happen on the Nes because the connectors are brass, cause Nintendo cheaped out on the connectors at the time. They might have switched to gold on later consoles

Videogamefan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Videogamefan123

Tested the Windex,got a little better but I still can't play.MonsieurX

keep trying the trick until you don't see any black on the q-tip when you take it out. That means the game is completley clean.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#16 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

man i dont trust amazon lol, also ebay is risky, all of them are,

theres sellers on there just looking to scam if you aint careful pay attention to possitive /negative feed back for help lol ,

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts
[QUOTE="z4twenny"][QUOTE="Videogamefan123"]

[QUOTE="bigM10231"]my method of cleaning carts is wet a corner of a rag then twist the wet part to make it lightly wet then scrubVideogamefan123

Blowing damages in the long run. You can blow into games for a few years and then one day it won't work. This corrossion might only happen on the Nes because the connectors are brass, cause Nintendo cheaped out on the connectors at the time. They might have switched to gold on later consoles

i disagree, i dont know a single person who damaged their game from blowing in it. like i said, i had games that worked for 15 years and i blew in them pretty much everytime i wanted to play a game.
bbeastieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bbeastieboy
Member since 2005 • 84 Posts
Why do you think you had to blow on them? Certainly not from dust particles in the game..
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bigM10231

the pins dont rust and its only once every year thing and it has the same effects as if you lived in seattle

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bigM10231

on back of NES cart

it says do not immerse in water. that means dont put in a puddle of water or dripping wet cloth

DO NOT clean with benzene, thinner, ALCOHOL or any other cleaning solvents

so youve been using the wrong method all this time

Videogamefan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Videogamefan123

corrosion doesn't come off with blowing only cleaning acids do that. Windex I find the best because it's a weak enough acid to take corrosion away but not damage it. So have been using the right method. Also let me ask you this, You got a better way? cause if you don't then don't complain about mine.

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bigM10231

How do people not understand the corrosion of the brass connector pins? Why do you think we use discs now? Certainly not to put more data into a game..

Keep using the windex and q-tip trick over and over until your q-tips come out clean...

bbeastieboy

they switched to disc because its cheaper and for more data

Videogamefan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Videogamefan123
Also It has not damaged my games and my connectors are clean. I do blow into them sometimes when I'm sure it's just dust particle or something
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bigM10231

i still have my first NES game and i have been blowing into it ever since and used the rag

and it still works like new

ishoturface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#25 ishoturface
Member since 2007 • 12460 Posts
[QUOTE="bbeastieboy"]

bigM10231

they switched to disc because its cheaper and for more data

so true