Boss fights...in general

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 chicknfeet
Member since 2004 • 15630 Posts
I'm sure this topic has been covered countless times, but the one's i've run across have been about RPGs. Let's generalize the question, though. What have been some of your more memorable boss fights? One in particular that sticks out in my mind is from Conker's Bad Fur Day...fighting the Great Mighty Poo. Forgive me for being childish, laughing at fart and poop jokes, but that boss battle was one of the few that had me laughing to tears. What are some of your memorable boss fights, be they funny, difficult, frustrating, heart warming, or whatever?
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts
You can't have started this and not expected final fantasy to pop up so i might as well say. Most memorable boss was probably Pennance simply because i could not beat him the proper way. I could only beat him by fluking a zantetsuken. Every other super boss in FF I have beat without cheating.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#3 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Shao Kahn from MK--UMK3. Troublesome.

Sonic 2 Final Boss. Mainly because I beat it and got Super Sonic a bunch of times.

Devil from Tekken 2. I'm glad I won. Pretty bad dude.

Ogre Tekken 3. Vengence for taking so many characters.

Then there's Mundus. Devil May Cry. Gotta say, I really enjoyed sending him back to hell.

Vergil DMC3.Doku. Ninja Gaiden Black.

Sephiroth. FFVII. Even in that last moment, he was defiant.

Grandia 2. Melfice...

That's all for now.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mystic_knight
Sephiroth. FFVII. Even in that last moment, he was defiant.BranKetra
If you look at it from his perspective he was actually right.
Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

frustrating- 2nd Princess Shroob (Partners in Time)

epic- its a tie between Donkey Kong Country Returns and Bower's Inside Story. (Music is what makes it all the better)

surpsiing- Super Mario bros Wii. [spoiler] when Bowser gets really big [/spoiler]

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 branketra
[QUOTE="BranKetra"]Sephiroth. FFVII. Even in that last moment, he was defiant.mystic_knight
If you look at it from his perspective he was actually right.

In a way, I agree. The people were "sucking the planet dry." His approach was wrong and he lost. That's what counts. Unless they make a sequel.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

That is a major one (his fight in Other M, aside from Samus' reaction was outstanding). Others being the entirty of the list from Shadow of the Colossus and Ahriman from Prince of Persia 2008. Most of the Metroid bosses have been quite memorable for me. I can remember the majority of them from all the games (it probably doesn't help I've played them all dozens of times).

chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 chicknfeet
You know, i wanted to try and think of bosses that were not FF based. Still, i must always go back to the original FF boss on the NES. It wasn't so bad that your team of characters had to go into the fight bruised and used from slashing and hacking their way through his castle, but the ****ing guy had a heal spell that would replenish his HP completely. I only got to see him once from my own merits (not cheating) and having him use Heal 4 and go back to full health after losing all but one of my characters had to be one of the most frustrating boss battles. Another funny boss battle (although it wasn't really a battle) was fighting LeChuck in Monkey Island. The game was totally not meant to be serious :P
InvisiblyClear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 InvisiblyClear
Member since 2011 • 45 Posts

Mine would definitely be Riku (the first time) in Kingdom Hearts. After I found him in the Hollow Bastion, he stole my keyblade, threw a wooden sword at me, and left me for dead, and did the same to Beast. Plus, he stole my buddies. That made me sad. SSSSssssssssssssSSSssssssssssssad BOOM. Anyway, after fighting my way through a huge castle with pretty much nothing but a hulking lackey to defend myself, I was greeted with a delicious cutscene in which my friends rejoined my and I reclaimed the Keyblade. Then I beat up Riku and he ran away. Heh heh...

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#10 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

Just got done fighting the Divine, a group of ass clowns, a Wizard, some paladins and a Mage all at once in Divinity 2. As a ranger, it only takes two hits from the Divine to end my life let alone a wizard turning me into a beetle and all the other swords/arrows and spells flying. After a lot of potions, a lot of running and hiding and a few summon spells. I finally killed them on my 20 somethingth try.

Oh I forgot to mention the game autosaves about a second before the Devine charges you so when you reload the game you have to jump to the side immediately

Mega-Mustaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 Mega-Mustaine
Member since 2010 • 2130 Posts

The Majora's Mask in LoZ: Majora's Mask. Damn dancing pansy.

Lance in Pokemon: Heartgold and Soulsilver. Many punches were thrown.

Biolizard in Sonic Adventure 2. What a bad-ass.

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

I've got a few.

Quadraxis (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)- Systematically taking apart that giant robot with Samus's weapons was the highlight of Echoes for me. Echo Visor FTW

Hydra/Colossus/Poseidon Battles (God of War series). I always loved the GOW games' big openings; the Colossus of Rhodes was incredible in the PS2 days.

King K. Rool (Donkey Kong 64)- Probably one of the most ridiculous fights ever, taking on K. Rool with the Kongs in a wacky boxing match (of all things) was loads of fun as a kid.

Boulder (Resident Evil 5)- Come on, we all know who the REAL final boss in that game was. Chris Redfield says: when in doubt, punch a boulder.

Red (Pokemon Silver)- Lv. 81 Pikachu? Seriously?

The End/Crying Wolf- (Metal Gear series)- I'm an oddball in that I actually like Crying Wolf's battle more. I'm a sucker for cold, snowy locales, so having a sniper battle with a crazy beast in an whiteout blizzard was a pure joy for me.

Ganon (LoZ: Ocarina of Time)- Yeah, I know. Generic choice but I loved it anyway. 1-on-1. Link. Master Sword. Evil beast. Ring of fire cricles the battlefield as lightning illuminates the darkness. Incredibly atmospheric.

ModeDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ModeDude
Member since 2009 • 1135 Posts
Boulder (Resident Evil 5)- Come on, we all know who the REAL final boss in that game was. Chris Redfield says: when in doubt, punch a boulder.gpuFX16
The amount of button pressing required made me more tired than any wii/kinect game has ever made me. Also this was made more memorable by the fact that I had ran out of ammo by this point, so had to face off against the final boss with only a knife!
lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

hmmm...the final boss in neverwinter nights hordes of the underdark...that was one tough demon

_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 _Dez_
Member since 2006 • 2398 Posts

Boss fights offer some of the more memorable moments in gaming for me. Off the top of my head, I usually crown Resident Evil 4 for have plently of amazing bosses to contend with, whether you're narrowly dodging El Gigante swinging a huge ****ing tree at you, or knife fighting with Krauser, there was this cinimatic flair added to those fights that made most of them stick with me. There are plenty of other games with memorable encounters, but off the top of my head...

- Take anything from the God of War series. At the very least, they make an incredible first impression (Hydra and the Collossus of Rhodes spring to mind). One of my personal favorites would be the Barbarian King in GoW2.

Coming back from the dead, and looking for revenge, he puts up a hell of a fight. A multi-tiered boss fight where you have to knock him off his horse, fight him one on one, deal with his summoned souls and a larger version of him before you rip that hammer out of his hands and brutally smack him down deader than he was before. Then you get a weapon that I found to be really useless, but that's besides the point. Honerable mentions go to Hades and Hercules as they're easily the best of the bunch for me in GoW3.

- Xemnas from Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix. Originally known as the Enigmatic Man, or something similar, this guy made his first appearance as an optional boss in the first game (Japanese version only, unfortunately), throwing a bunch of cryptic phrases at Sora that foreshadowed some of the events to follow in the second game. I think one of the main things that really stuck out to me was the music, this ominous, quick-tempo cello theme. Oh, and he was remarkably difficulty, throwing a variety of timed laser bolts, while darting around the room slashing you with... I guess I'd call them lightsabers. Everything did heavy damage on their own, and if that weren't enough, he could lock out your attack menu and turn it into a roulette game of some sort, completely disabling you from attacking and dealing heavy damage to boot. It's one of my personal favorite boss fights, and helped to really hype me up for KH2. It's just too bad this guy really got neutered in the second game.

- Fighting Vergil in Devil May Cry 3 and the Jeanne fights in Bayonetta (fourth battle is amazing). Fight them multiple times, and they get more difficult each time. I love rival-like battles, and these two would be near the top of my list.

- I'll finish up saying that pretty much all the boss fights in Demon's Souls are pretty damn great. Very challenging, and very rewarding when you get past them, and all them feeling very unique from one another. The boss fight in 2-3 is a no brainer for me, since I really wasn't expecting anything like that, but there are a few non-conventional bosses that stand out to me. Mainly the Maiden of Astraea and the game's final boss.

[spoiler] The fact that she doesn't bother to attack you and asks to be left in piece doesn't even paint her as a enemy, but she will have her bodyguard, Garl, defend her if you approach to closely. Defeat him and she'll kill herself, knowing she can't stand up to you, but she has this regretfull tone that just makes me feel like such a bastard after that fight. The final boss, on the other hand, King Allant, is one of the easiest enemies in the game to fight. I think it's showing how much his lust for souls led him to such dispicable state, assuming he knows what's best for Boletaria in such a manner. I don't know, the game doesn't have much a of a story to begin with, but the minimalist way it's told combined with the game's environments made the story have much more impact, including the bosses. I could be overthinking it, though. [/spoiler]

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mystic_knight
Boulder (Resident Evil 5)- Come on, we all know who the REAL final boss in that game was. Chris Redfield says: when in doubt, punch a boulder.gpuFX16
Hahahaha gold!
gamefree2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 gamefree2
Member since 2006 • 2073 Posts
For me it's Red from Pokemon Gold and Silver because of how high leveled his pokemon were Ganondorf from Wind Waker and Ganon from Ocarina of Time because of the atmosphere in both of those boss fights Bowser from Paper Mario because he was the first final boss I ever beat in a RPG. and pretty much most of the bosses in the Touhou series.
Ravirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 Ravirr
Member since 2004 • 7931 Posts

Touhou

Youmou, Reisen, extra stage of impershible night

Hells Gate, The Last Remnant

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#19 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

one i really love is the fight with kurahashi and akiba in killer7. [spoiler] they are two maimed old men in snappy looking suits. you win the fight by taking advantage of how they prioritize straightening their ties over not making targets of their exposed brains. [/spoiler] did i mention its surreal?

chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 chicknfeet

Red (Pokemon Silver)- Lv. 81 Pikachu? Seriously?

gpuFX16
I thought all the pokemon games had the same thing at the end. Your rival would have stupidly high leveled pokemon. Though, i'd imagine a level 81 pikachu should be bested by a level 70 golem or onix :P I thought the fight against the Lumen Sage in Bayonetta was fun and very fancy. The way he would brush off your hair attacks were awesome The boss fights in Mother 2 were fun also. Fighting a plague rat in the sewers was a bit annoying when i had to do it the first time, but it was enjoyable once i understood how to kill him easily
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 branketra

The final fights of the MGS games. Mostly 1,3,4. Heavy stuff.

Zone of the Enders 2nd Runner. The fight against Anubis, in compressed space. I have to say, it was pretty good.

-Kaoru-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 -Kaoru-
Member since 2003 • 4471 Posts

Well opf course you have the all type really frustrating kind of bosses and the ones that you really liked beating the hell up. Soooo. lets see, I will go with, Biomeka, the final boss in Wonderboy in monster world 1991. It may qualify as an rpg but it was more of a button mashing kind of thing.

AlmostUndead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AlmostUndead
Member since 2006 • 1673 Posts
The End : Metal Gear Solid 3. Best. Boss. Fight. EVER! Had no connection with him though. Only bad part. No backstory that is.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#24 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Captain Blue on Ultra V- Rated. I still haven't beaten him... I've gotten his last form so near death!!! (growls in frustration)

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
MGS3 bosses.
avail447

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#26 avail447
Member since 2003 • 1694 Posts

Awesome topic

I would say Motaro from mortal kombat 3 along with Moloch in deadly alliance were some of my most memorable

Also the bosses in mario galaxy are fun to fight

ubpoker123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ubpoker123
Member since 2007 • 877 Posts

SOOOOOOOO many awesome boss fights, I really can not choose, I will just go with Orochi from Okami though.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

I really liked alot of the demons souls bosses

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#29 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

Alma from Ninja Gaiden Black/Sigma. Probably the first boss I ever fought that beat me mercilessly.

The Flamelurker from Demon's Souls. Tough as hell, though it felt really rewarding once the bastard died.

The Sage in Bayonetta. It wasn't the end of the game, but it was a rather climatic and intense fight that drove the story surprisingly. I loved that fight though.

Hercules in God of War 3 if for no other reason than the way it ended.

The Leviathan in Dead Space is painfully easy but I remember seeing it for the first time, fighting in the zero gravity environment and thinking it was really cool.

Wesker in Resident Evil 5. The end fight in the volcano was lame as hell, but prior to that finally confronting the main antagonist of the series was really fun. Then he went meat tornado and Chris started punching boulders surrounded by lava. Sad. On the topic of Resident Evil:

Lisa from REmake, William Birkin from Resident Evil 2, Nemesis from RE3, and Resident Evil 4's fights with Krauser.

kimkim01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kimkim01
Member since 2009 • 704 Posts

The Master from Fallout.

deejaynita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#31 deejaynita
Member since 2007 • 316 Posts

DARKSIDERS - TIAMAT BATTLE (UFFFFFFF)

Krielon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Krielon
Member since 2010 • 36 Posts

Crawmerax the Invincible. Borderlands. The damn worm is three levels higher than the old level cap, plus all his little minions rushing you. I don't know if they movedhis levelup when the Claptrap Revolution came out(the players' level cap rose again), I can't bring myself to go back to his den.

Bobzfamily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bobzfamily
Member since 2008 • 1514 Posts

Fighting Father Baldur in Bayonetta is proabbly one of the boss fights from a third person action game this generation which sticks out in my head, and my personal favourite moment from that particular game.

Mo-licious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Mo-licious
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts

Crawmerax the Invincible. Borderlands. The damn worm is three levels higher than the old level cap, plus all his little minions rushing you. I don't know if they movedhis levelup when the Claptrap Revolution came out(the players' level cap rose again), I can't bring myself to go back to his den.

Krielon

Yeah, same here. There was another thread like this recently and the same thing applies to me here .... it was my husband's fault! He kept getting himself killed! ;)

TehOverkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TehOverkill
Member since 2011 • 754 Posts

Sephiroth, Final Fantasy VII.

Okami's bosses.

Super Mario Galaxy bosses, just because they're so darn fun.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Morpheel.

But the best was the helicopter fight in Rainbow Six Vegas 2.

[spoiler] Naaaah... I mean, what the hell was that?! [/spoiler]