Bioware vs. Square Enix

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Samcro810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Samcro810
Member since 2010 • 72 Posts

I have long been a fan of the Final Fantasy series and after playing Final Fantasy 7 for the first time, I thought Square Enix had no equal as an RPG developer. Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy 8 were truly masterpieces as well. However, despite many remarkable achievements, I believe the Final Fantasy series is falling under the shadow of Bioware. In my opinion, Bioware has demonstrated the next evolution of the RPG genre. Every RPG Bioware has made has been state of the art and absolutely magnificent. Bioware has introduced a new breed of RPGs such as KOTOR, Dragon Age Origins, and who could forget: the Mass Effect series. Square Enix needs to revamp the Final Fantasy series if they want to keep up, so far Final Fantasy 13 has been a decent step, but not a solution. Who do you side with, Bioware or Square Enix? Thankfully there is room for both.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I like both. Comparing the two is like comparing Apples and Tomatoes. The surface looks the same but they are not the same once you look pass the surface.

Both have a weakness and strength.

For example Bioware follow the same story set up from the KotoR for all their games including Dragon Age Origin and the Mass Effect games. Their main characters are just hollow shells. Most of their enemies are not that rich and you can fight all the same away. They do a good job at make characters that have good background but it would be nice if they did a little bit more during the missions

Square Enix is trying to appease those that has and will always hate JRPG. Their character are not always well like. Their enemies are rich and eve now they are some of the best and unique enemies out there. They still have a style and a look that is great.

T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

i like both but im gonna give this one to square enix. thought they have been lacking a bit.

sillyseaotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 sillyseaotter
Member since 2009 • 179 Posts

umm bethesda? TES are the best rpg's ever.

Wings_008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#5 Wings_008
Member since 2008 • 3813 Posts
i prefer Bioware over SE, but they produced some timeless Titles like FF X
krazy-blazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 krazy-blazer
Member since 2009 • 1759 Posts
Bioware in my opinion. closely followed by Bethesda.
nottu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nottu
Member since 2010 • 951 Posts

Bioware's games are more accesible to non-RPG'ers, while SE sticks to what makes RPGs great, the story, the characters and development,ME2 was a great game, but i felt that the characters fell a little short, and i HATED that they dumbed down the character progression and eliminated the inventory system.

SpArKs424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SpArKs424
Member since 2010 • 2203 Posts

Bioware they know how to pump out a story.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I like both but prefer Square Enix.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

I believe that they cannot be compared in terms of who is the best. And they both have their own faults to deal with, from my experience with their games. In my honest opinion, after playing Mass Effect and Dragon age 'till the end, those two games are much below Bioware's pinnacle, good games, but nothing compared to previous titles that cemented Bioware's legacy as a Top Tier company. And Square Enix's recent games are even more below their pinnacle.

So, in the end, they both have faults. With that out of the way.. ->

Square has some of the greatest JRPG's ever made, such as Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, and the FF series; Wile Bioware has some of the greatest WRPG's ever made, such as KotOR, NWN and the Baldur's Gate series.

I would say its a perfect tie, and fundamentaly only comes down to preference. Their both the Top Tier companies at doing what their good at. Making kick-a** entertaining timeless RPG's that could be enjoyed even after 20 generations.

Bethesda comes close, i loved every Elder Scrolls they made, starting from the second(wasn't fond of the first). But does not enter top tier, in my opinion, for the simple reason that they only have 2 series of RPG's, and one of them wasn't even their own. Morrowind was their pinnacle.

Wings_008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#11 Wings_008
Member since 2008 • 3813 Posts

but i felt that the characters fell a little short, and i HATED that they dumbed down the character progression and eliminated the inventory system.

nottu
although i agree on the lack of inventory issue, i don't get what you mean by ''characters fell a little short'' i mean dude the character depth is nothing short of amazing
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
Bioware in my opinion. closely followed by Bethesda.krazy-blazer
Yea I would also say Bioware is above Square Enix with Bethesda somewhere in the middle. Bioware is pretty much never miss. The only mediocre game they have ever had was on the iPhone. Bethesda has great game play mechanic design but their character development is weak. Square Enix IMO has tried to hard this console gen to make their games appealing to the mainstream. Most gamers don't like it but FF series is supposed to be the poster child of strategic turn based RPG combat which they seem to want to abandon. SE also has stale stories that are very predictable and cliche characters that often times act either very childish or emo. But the allure of their history and past successes always keeps me optimistic that they will get it right the next time.
Nooberman2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nooberman2k
Member since 2010 • 449 Posts
Bioware are earth-shatteringly brilliant in my opinion. They've developed countless brilliant titles, including my all time favourite game: Baldur's Gate 2. That game showed me how deep and well developed video game characters could be. No longer would I expect every game to be filled with stereotypes.
HaLoMaStErJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 HaLoMaStErJT
Member since 2008 • 1380 Posts

I like both. But after playing ME1 and ME2, it just doesn't feel like I was playing an rpg. It felt like more of a 3rd person shooter. At least SE creates full fledged rpgs.

Lazay727

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 Lazay727
Member since 2007 • 2202 Posts
a couple of years ago this would be no debate but square enix quality has diminished significantly. Enix was never that good to begin with. The only notable game was star ocean 2 and the second disc was terrible.
xXxQuizzyxXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 xXxQuizzyxXx
Member since 2010 • 553 Posts
bioware and bethesda stomp all over square
Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
My vote goes to SE. I've tried some of Bioware's RPGs this gen, but none ever felt 'amazing'.
SpArKs424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SpArKs424
Member since 2010 • 2203 Posts

image if Bioware and Bethesda made a game o_0.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#19 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
Probably Bioware, If we're talking about Squaresoft however...
SpedKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 SpedKnight
Member since 2006 • 1032 Posts
at the moment square is a hit and miss for me and bioware is just being awesome. soo ima go with bioware...but if we were comparing bioware to squaresoft...then things would be different.
jsh020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jsh020
Member since 2010 • 1168 Posts

well i used to like bioware but ever since the new gen they let it get to their heads bigtime.

if you dont know what i mean im not talking about fame going to their heads but more of one crappy gimic going to their heads and making it the bases for everyone of their games. im so sick of this choose your own path crap and take that over awful gameplay("cough cough mass effect") im mot going to replay a game so i can get some slightly altered dioulouge and a different ending.

as for square. it depends on which side of the spectrum your talking about. if its enix then screw them. i never liked them in the first place with the exception of star ocean 1 and 2. but they have been on a constant crap game formula. yah SO3 and 4 were good but not good anough as the first 2 and i dont care what they call themselves wether its enix or tre star. they still produce the same crappy formula for their games but its not as bad as bioware is

and for squar themselves. they may not be as good as they used to. not quality wise but productivity wise. they barley do anything. yah i still love the final fantasys but they literly only make those games(with the exception of kingdom hearts but that was a joint operation with enix....or tre star or WHATEVER.) I still love em but the realy need to give up on the 360 in japan. which leads me to the one real flaw i have with them. i hate their president

nottu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nottu
Member since 2010 • 951 Posts
[QUOTE="nottu"]

but i felt that the characters fell a little short, and i HATED that they dumbed down the character progression and eliminated the inventory system.

Wings_008
although i agree on the lack of inventory issue, i don't get what you mean by ''characters fell a little short'' i mean dude the character depth is nothing short of amazing

The depth was pretty good but I didn't like any of them, the only one i actually liked was jacob, and playing as a soldier it didn't make sense having him in my party
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#23 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
Bioware made great games in the past and are still doing that now. Square Enix made great games in the past (mostly when they were not the same company) and haven't been doing anywhere near as good in recent years. Bethesda.....oh....hell no.
Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#24 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

For example Bioware follow the same story set up from the KotoR for all their games including Dragon Age Origin and the Mass Effect games.

wiouds

Yes and no. Yes that DA and KotOR and the first ME are similar in plot structure. They changed this up for ME2, but then you had a bunch of kids complaining how the story was weaker than the first. And that's the same with Obsidian's KotOR 2... less conventional "regular nobody turned hero" story, more character driven, but Obsidian had the misfortune of being rushed by Lucas Arts.

Can't blame Bioware for sticking to what works. Everyone loves a good story of "becoming" or having greatness thrust upon you.

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#27 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

That's a shame :(

But I really like KoTOR 2 :P. Even more than the first game. It's gets a lot of crap from people everywhere, but aside from its *unfinished* ending (I think I read there were supposed to be more, and can be found via mods) I liked the whole game.

Link334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Link334
Member since 2007 • 6082 Posts

Square for me.

Avatar image for UnknownElement4
UnknownElement4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 UnknownElement4
Member since 2008 • 2603 Posts

I pick Bioware. Lately I have been very disappointed with Square Enix.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Bioware is the better company this generation, and arguably last generation too for quality games (expecially in the story/character department) Square fell apart after the PS1 days in my opinion and haven't been able to get back on track yet.
Easports48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Easports48
Member since 2005 • 1761 Posts
Bioware for me.
Lost-Memory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lost-Memory
Member since 2009 • 1556 Posts
Never really loved SE, They're good dev's but i've never really been a huge fan of the final fantasy franchise, so im going to say bioware. Loved all their games so far, except for Dragon Age.
edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

Bioware easily...although kingdom hearts was awsome...but 3 hasnt come out and SE has been sucking this whole last gen.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
bioware by far imo.
shinian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 shinian
Member since 2005 • 6871 Posts

BioWare by far. The only game from SE I found worth playing was Kingdom Hearts.

Archendrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Archendrus
Member since 2010 • 306 Posts

I believe that they cannot be compared in terms of who is the best. And they both have their own faults to deal with, from my experience with their games. In my honest opinion, after playing Mass Effect and Dragon age 'till the end, those two games are much below Bioware's pinnacle, good games, but nothing compared to previous titles that cemented Bioware's legacy as a Top Tier company. And Square Enix's recent games are even more below their pinnacle.

So, in the end, they both have faults. With that out of the way.. ->

Square has some of the greatest JRPG's ever made, such as Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, and the FF series; Wile Bioware has some of the greatest WRPG's ever made, such as KotOR, NWN and the Baldur's Gate series.

I would say its a perfect tie, and fundamentaly only comes down to preference. Their both the Top Tier companies at doing what their good at. Making kick-a** entertaining timeless RPG's that could be enjoyed even after 20 generations.

Bethesda comes close, i loved every Elder Scrolls they made, starting from the second(wasn't fond of the first). But does not enter top tier, in my opinion, for the simple reason that they only have 2 series of RPG's, and one of them wasn't even their own. Morrowind was their pinnacle.

Lucianu

I'm with this guy. I think you can generally look to both of these developers to crank out some awesome games =D.Though I am partial to the Japanese style of fantasy. Western fantasy always seems to "stick to the rules" so to speak, very Arthurian/Tolkein-ish. As far as Bethesda, I think they're kinda mediocre, Oblivion was just ok for me, same with Fallout 3.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#37 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I liked FF 8 and FF X, but BioWare trumps them every time.