megamahay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 megamahay
Member since 2016 • 14 Posts

My sister just got the Bioshock Series on Steam during the Chinese New Year sale and I was debating whether or not to play. If so, which to start with? Are any of them not worth playing? Anything else on Bioshock?

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#2 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

Start from the beginning.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 35345 Posts

Definitely worth playing, excellent games. Start with the first one.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 7886 Posts

hard to believe the first is over 8 years old now. that was one seriously awesome stretch of games from aug 07 - dec 07. bioshock, halo 3, the witcher, mass effect, crysis, modern warfare, the orange box, uncharted, super mario galaxy, assassin's creed... what a time to be a gamer. sorry to digress op - play them all and start from the first

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 20844 Posts

@megamahay: Definitely play them, especially the first one. It's a masterpiece in my mind, and easily in my top 5 fav games of all time.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 18657 Posts

The first one was a pretty weak imitator of Systen Shock, but it had great production values that make it still worth a look.

Bioshock Infinite is a total mess of bad game design and a zillion plot holes, but might be worth playing if you've already bought it.

Isaacfalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By Isaacfalls
Member since 2016 • 143 Posts
@megamahay said:

My sister just got the Bioshock Series on Steam during the Chinese New Year sale and I was debating whether or not to play. If so, which to start with? Are any of them not worth playing? Anything else on Bioshock?

The Bioshock games are great. You should definitely play them in order, although Bioshock Infinite is basically a stand-alone.

If you like a story driven action FPS that lasts around 10-20 hours, these games are a must play. The first two games were a bit eery, I almost got scared at some parts, BS Infinite has a much lighter atmosphere. BS Infinite is also by far my faorite entry in the series

Avatar image for deactivated-5bacece731933
deactivated-5bacece731933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#8  Edited By deactivated-5bacece731933
Member since 2015 • 218 Posts

I can understand how the first Bioshock is very, very good but to be honest, the spooky and intense atmosphere in a game is not a kind that I like. However, the last game is absolutely amazing. Definitely one of my favourite 5 games. So if you play the first game but you don't enjoy it either, like me, do not pass the last game merely because of this.

Dunoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Dunoid
Member since 2016 • 72 Posts

@Planeforger: Perhaps it's just because I've only played System Shock 2, or perhaps it's just because I'm as old as the game itself, but I can't see how Bioshock is inferior. There may be more gameplay in System Shock, but the pacing is just bad. The game starts with an interesting promotional movie, but then it drops you in a needlessly long character building sequence that does nothing for the story, and then it drops you in the middle of the ship with no buildup whatsoever. You're just plonked down in a space filled with gameplay mechanics that were never introduced (even in that extremely long introduction) and a voice barking orders at you for no reason other than because you're there to follow the orders. It just feels like a game, while Bioshock felt like a story.

BattleStreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 BattleStreak
Member since 2016 • 1763 Posts

Didn't particularly enjoy the games, but I still think you should give them a shot.

Who knows, maybe I'll even give one of them another go.

Exceed20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Exceed20XX
Member since 2011 • 817 Posts

As said, go in order, they're each worth a round. I'm actually revisiting the first one now and it holds up well. By chance did you also get the DLC? BioShock Infinite - Burial At Sea was fairly interesting if you finish up all three entries.

ZombieProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ZombieProof
Member since 2016 • 359 Posts

Bioshock 1 is an absolute sublime experience. It's dual essays on what can cause Objectivism to fail and the Illusion of Control were presented in a way that could only be done in gaming. One of the most literary, atmospheric, and well designed games I've ever played. Go for it.

Run from Bioshock 2 like it's chasing you around with doo doo on a stick though. See all that stuff I'd written above? Yeah, Bioshock 2 has none of that. Plus the brilliant world design devolved into little more than interconnected battle arenas. Yuck.

Infinite, while not as good as the original, is well worth the play through. Still a pretty amazing game on its own.

ZombieProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ZombieProof
Member since 2016 • 359 Posts

@Planeforger said:

The first one was a pretty weak imitator of Systen Shock,

I've never understood this critique. I've only played System Shock 2 mind you, but even within that the only thing Bioshock has in common with it aside from similar albeit more streamlined design philosophy (Ken Levine, duh) was that there was a twist and where it took place in the games narrative structure. The twists themselves were completely different though (the games had completely different themes and controlling ideas) and Bioshock's level design while not as labyrinthine, had far better art design, resonance, and atmosphere, not to mention Bioshocks far smoother and more graceful game play.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#14 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7173 Posts

Excellent games, all of them in my opinion. Just play them in order. If you somehow don't like the first game then don't bother with the rest.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#15 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

Overall yes, the first two are worth playing, the original being a fun, atmospheric romp with the sequel being even better gameplaywise.
Skip the pretentiousness and inferiority of Infinite.

AlexaMur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 AlexaMur
Member since 2021 • 1 Posts

We are finally waiting for the release of the new part, since so many years have passed and there is still no new one

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 7664 Posts

Play Prey 2016 instead.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#18 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5879 Posts

@pyro1245: I cannot argue with that, but my answer would be just play all 4 of them. Bioshock 1 & 2 are damn near masterpieces, and even Infinite brings some things to the series that are worth experiencing.

Prey is just outright awesome, great game

Avatar image for ghost_of_phobos
Ghost_of_Phobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ghost_of_Phobos
Member since 2020 • 2225 Posts

They're competent games with good writing. Your enjoyment will (obviously) vary depending on your tastes. But if you already have access to the games you have nothing to lose. I would play them in order.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 7664 Posts

@Blueresident87 said:

@pyro1245: I cannot argue with that, but my answer would be just play all 4 of them. Bioshock 1 & 2 are damn near masterpieces, and even Infinite brings some things to the series that are worth experiencing.

Prey is just outright awesome, great game

Haha this is true. I enjoyed the BioShock games.

I just finished Prey again so it's recent in my memory. Such a fantastic 'Shock' game I cannot believe they called it 'Prey'.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#21 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5566 Posts

The first is one of my favourite games of all time.

Bioshock 2 was somewhat underrated.

BioShock infinite was wildly overrated and essentially repeated the first game in the sky instead of underwater.

I’d like them to continue the story of Rapture because it was that setting that was the most interesting part of the first two games.

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#22 Alexander2cents
Member since 2012 • 349 Posts

You should start with System Shock remake.

Ottyandthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ottyandthedj
Member since 2020 • 80 Posts

I would start with the first Bioshock, original concept, has good graphics. 1&2 were pretty popular.

Realmjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 Realmjumper
Member since 2007 • 728 Posts

Great games well worth your time.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points