Bethesda bans homophobic high schoolers from 76.

#1 Posted by jeezers (1942 posts) -

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-11-30-bethesda-bans-fallout-76-player-for-life-following-shocking-homophobic-attack

Though this is not something new, reminds me of my old halo 2 and counter strike days, but no one ever got a perma banned for something like this, are the days of of shithead trolls in online gaming comming to an end? I remember playing halo 2 online as a kid, I got called alot of things online before my balls dropped, shit even as an adult lol Even though its bad, I couldnt help but laugh while reading this. Thoughts on Bethesda perma banning trolls?

#2 Posted by MisterVulpes (656 posts) -

@jeezers:

Sounds about right in 2018...

The game is a broken, cash grab mess but this is something they prioritise.

It’s political. Makes them look good because ‘social issues’ and draws attention away from the truly offensive behaviour: releasing a product like this to paying customers.

As for the story in general.

‘Kids are toxic in video games’

Yeh, no sh*t. It shouldn’t genuinely affect you, and if it does, you have bigger issues to resolve within yourself.

#3 Posted by AJStyles (245 posts) -

This is why I stopped playing online games this gen. It’s too easy to get banned.

It’s no fun anymore if I can’t trash talk people.

I wish all games would have separate servers. You pick the server every time you log on. That way snowflakes can play in safe spaces with no swearing allowed while the rest of us adults can trash talk each other in our area.

#4 Posted by mrbojangles25 (42332 posts) -

While I don't support this sort of behavior, I think it's kind of bogus they got banned for life for doing something that is, in the big picture, relatively harmless. If you can't handle a little harassment in a game, you're not really going to be handle real life.

On the flipside, I suppose some would argue that they play games to get away from the pressures of real life, and they don't want to encounter the bullshit they do in real life in a video game

*shrug*

I think suspensions are the way to go, not outright bans. At least not for first-time offenders. I dislike zero-tolerance policies for the most part.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
#5 Posted by Blackhairedhero (2330 posts) -

I remember one time I was playing "Halo Wars 2" and got disconnected from a ranked match. My teammate sent me a "SMH" because he thought I quit. I responded " I never F'ing quit( i said the real word)I just got disconnected. I was then suspended from XBL for three days.

This is why when I play online it's only with people I know or I just don't chat.

#6 Posted by Crimsonllama (237 posts) -

I'm fine with them being banned, but this being a story in any way is what bothers me. In Rocket League last night I played with a group dropping n bombs and mf's like Sam Jackson on holiday. Someone mentioned Jews running the world, another talked about our mama's vjays. It was a typical night. Until someone called me a milk drinker. Then shit went down.

#7 Posted by RSM-HQ (7468 posts) -

Bethesda bans homophobic high schoolers from 76. Thoughts on Bethesda perma banning trolls?

Not going to praise Bethesda for it's current game but I wish more gaming companies would take these actions to be honest. Monster Hunter: World for P.C., while I didn't encounter homophobic personalities, certain had rage quitters, angry posts, and even a troII who corrupt my save file. Had similar issues with DkSIII on P.C. as well_

Suppose some developers want to focus on quality and actual content (something Bethesda Studio doesn't understand) than managing a bunch of potential children. Wholesome communities helps I guess, because that's normally what I expect from MH. But while I appricate more people playing MH, it brought in some awful players.

#8 Posted by Archangel3371 (26414 posts) -

That’s fine by me, I have no problem with these companies getting rid of toxic trash like that from their gaming communities. These are public places and should be treated as such.

#9 Posted by SOedipus (11185 posts) -

Pfft, I remember the awful messages I’d get in Starcraft or Warcraft III.

People would make additional accounts to call me names, n-word, c-word, you name it. It could be because I won a match, or lost one in a team game. People are crazy. But I just ignored them. I never even thought to report them lol.

#10 Posted by jeezers (1942 posts) -

@crimsonllama: LMAO

#11 Posted by Longsnout (137 posts) -

Awesome, now fix the game.

#12 Posted by Todddow (889 posts) -

Not sure why anyone plays online anymore. It's played out in so many ways. Back to solely SP for me.

#13 Edited by Speeny (593 posts) -

Luckily the only online multiplayer game I play is MK8 Deluxe. So I've never experienced issues like these, and hope not to in the future.

#14 Posted by watercrack445 (836 posts) -

Well, Bethesda should've seen this and should've have not made a multiplayer game in the first place.

#15 Edited by MrGeezer (59702 posts) -

I'm fine with the ban. If you sit down at a restaurant and start harassing the party at the next table with homophobic remarks, don't be surprised if they kick you out and ban you. So I'm not entirely sure why we should expect it to be different in an online video game. Either way, the guys in charge are seeing one group of customers walk up to another group of paying customers and treating them like crap.

Doesn't even really have anything to do with "thin skin". The point is that the customers getting harassed could very easily stop playing the game because of these kinds of trolls, and then the money stream from those players dries up. That, and negative publicity could easily turn casual audiences off of playing the game. It's one thing for a customer to treat an employee like shit, but treating other customers like shit is directly detrimental to the business.

And really, with Fallout 76 being as crappy as it is, it's not as if Bethesda really needs more reasons for players to quit.

Also, people really ought to f*** off with the "sure I was acting homophobic/racist, but it was just for the lulz; I don't really hate gay people" bullshit. No one cares what you really think, they care how you act. Act like a homophobic piece of crap, and you get treated like a homophobic piece of crap (and I mean the general "you", not you specifically).

#16 Posted by jeezers (1942 posts) -

@MrGeezer: I get what your saying I'm just saying we are now in the day and age where if you toxic trash talk you get perma banned. Ironicaly its for a game no one wants to play..

#17 Posted by MrGeezer (59702 posts) -

@jeezers said:

@MrGeezer: I get what your saying I'm just saying we are now in the day and age where if you toxic trash talk you get perma banned. Ironicaly its for a game no one wants to play..

I wish this kind of behavior was better policed, but from what I hear it's still way too common.

Honestly, I'd be a lot more inclined to play these kinds of games (not THIS game, because Fallout 76 clearly has other much bigger problems) if this kind of behavior really wasn't tolerated. I want to see more of this kind of toxic behavior being punished, maybe then I'd actually be willing to spend money on games like this.

#18 Posted by henrythefifth (1926 posts) -

So, as a result, the game now has zero players...

#19 Posted by VFighter (4019 posts) -

Online gaming used to be really fun, COD back during the early ps3 days was a blast, the trash talking was so fun. But wimpy crybaby snowflakes have to ruin everything.

#20 Posted by thereal25 (1638 posts) -

I applaud Bethesda for this because such negativity being repeated again and again only reinforces the notion that being gay is somehow wrong or something to be ashamed of.

#21 Posted by sakaiXx (4176 posts) -

About these bans.. do game devs ban accounts or IP address? I mean if its accounts, just create another.

#22 Posted by MrGeezer (59702 posts) -

@vfighter said:

Online gaming used to be really fun, COD back during the early ps3 days was a blast, the trash talking was so fun. But wimpy crybaby snowflakes have to ruin everything.

Hey man, that's just business. Some people think a game is "ruined" if the atmosphere is toxic, some people think a game is "ruined" if the atmosphere is friendly and respectable. Both sides can speak with their dollars and let the companies decide which set of customers is more important to them.

I'd like to see the breakdown on who's actually spending the most money on these online multiplayer games. Is it high school kids who don't have jobs, or is it actual adults? Do the players who harrass other players for s***s and giggles pay more for these games, or do players who are courteous and respectful spend more on these types of games? I'm not sure, but I suspect there's a good likelihood that a majority of the actual money is coming from people with a good amount of disposable income. In other words, adults with jobs. And if that money is indeed coming from adults with jobs, presumably they're capable of actually acting like adults and enjoying the game without being total dirtbags to other customers who are merely trying to enjoy the game too.

#23 Posted by dotWithShoes (5480 posts) -

Words hurt my feelings :( Help me powerful overlords.

#24 Posted by RSM-HQ (7468 posts) -
@vfighter said:

While I'm more against hackers, and rage quitters. What you see as fun "trash talking" is an exploitable privilege, basically all these games have required terms-of-agreement that are against being aggressive or verbally insulting to other Players. Even then, Server mods only see to these matters when Players are extremely pushing the bounds of what shouldn't be done to begin with.

I can put up with trash talk just fine, still play tons of multiplayer, and personally never reported one person solely on communicating like a jackass_

But it can get excessive, and repetitive depending on game and community. In 2018 many know they can get away with it so has become far more common, and far worse. We all bought these games, you/ or anyone else for that matter however doesn't own the online service, and have the right to treat people like garbage. Especially when you've agreed to do quite the opposite.

#25 Edited by mirgamer (2478 posts) -

Yeah they certainly have their priorities in order. Sell a broken game(AGAIN), bait and switch customers who paid 200 dollars and not sorry for it but HEY DONT WORRY GAIZ, WE ARE TOTALLY AGAINST INSULTS OF SEXUAL PREFERENCES!!! ARENT WE AWESOME AND RIGHTEOUS!?!? WE BETHESDA LOOK OUT FOR YOUR GENITALZ.

Avatar image for rockstargamer48
#26 Edited by Rockstargamer48 (12 posts) -

Yep after the PR disaster Fallou 76 is I can't say I'm surprised

#27 Posted by MrGeezer (59702 posts) -

@mirgamer said:

Yeah they certainly have their priorities in order. Sell a broken game(AGAIN), bait and switch customers who paid 200 dollars and not sorry for it but HEY DONT WORRY GAIZ, WE ARE TOTALLY AGAINST INSULTS OF SEXUAL PREFERENCES!!! ARENT WE AWESOME AND RIGHTEOUS!?!? WE BETHESDA LOOK OUT FOR YOUR GENITALZ.

Well, to be fair, doing one out of three things right is better than doing zero out of three things right.

Having said that, from what I've been seeing Bethesda didn't even get this right. Not sure if it's true, but I was under the impression that this person first tried contacting Bethesda to report the incident, but that Bethesda's support page was broken too. That the only reason this was put on social media instead of being reported directly to Bethesda is because there actually wasn't any way to report it directly.

Again, not sure if it's true. But if so, THAT'S something that is worth complaining about. Not that they actually banned someone who was harassing other players, but that their system for reporting people who are harassing other players was broken as well.

#28 Posted by lilhurk1985187 (373 posts) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo