Best/worst Final Fantasy battle systems?

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Despite FFXIII having alot of problems and not being all that great overall, I think it's battle system struck a pretty good balance between simplicity and depth. It was simple and elegant, could be really tense during tougher battles, looked cool, and I thought that switching roles in different paradigms was a perfect acceptable (and maybe even better) alternative to not controlling every character in your party (which alot of people complained about) . I thought that the leveling tree was kind of tedious and pretty darn restrictive, but the gameplay itself was great and the action unfolded at an optimal pace. It's too bad that the easy battles persisted too far into the game and the lack of anything to do other than fight and watch cutscenes eventually gave the battles a feeling of tedium. If they would have paced the game better and had you perform other tasks between combat stretches and ramped up the difficulty earlier, I think alot more people would appreciate the simple yet strategic battle system.

As for the worst? FFVIII. My God, the junction system sucks! It shows everything that is wrong with convoluted battle systems that are convoluted just for the sake of being convoluted. No, it wasn't innovative because innovation implies that thinking outside the box actually leads to pragmatic results. Thinking outside the box just for the sake of it is pretty much game design masturbation IMO, which unfortunately, the FF developers have been guilty of on more than one occasion. The junction system is just needlessly complex, counter-intuitive and lacks balance. Leveling up is not advantageous, yet the system can be easy to exploit. And there is the horrible drawing aspect. At the end of the day, it just felt like FVIII's battle system was a bunch of parts that didn't mesh well with eachother. Some people may like this system for whatever reason, but there is the simple reality that alot of people are atleast initially confused by it, which does not speak well of any battle system. Not to mention that the tutorial is crap.

I suppose I could forgive a convoluted system if it ultimately leads to depth, but this doesn't really happen in FFVIII.

I don't think FFVIII is bad overall (though it does have alot of chinks in the armor) and I do find it to be one of the more beautiful FFs, but I do think that the junction system sums up the game's worst quality: awkwardness.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

I agree with most of what you said there. But I still wouldn't say XIII is the best battle system. I like it, but FFX has the best battle system IMO.

I'm just generally more a fan of turn based stadegy then real time, and while most FF games do go slow enough for me to be fun, I still like it best when it completly stops every time the menu comes up, to give me all the time I need to plan my next move. And I also find the boss battles are a bit more tactical then most Final Fantasy games.

As for the worst: Final Fantasy VIII. I see no need to explain because you did a good job of doing that already.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GreySeal9

I agree with most of what you said there. But I still wouldn't say XIII is the best battle system. I like it, but FFX has the best battle system IMO.

I'm just generally more a fan of turn based stadegy then real time, and while most FF games do go slow enough for me to be fun, I still like it best when it completly stops every time the menu comes up, to give me all the time I need to plan my next move. And I also find the boss battles are a bit more tactical then most Final Fantasy games.

As for the worst: Final Fantasy VIII. I see no need to explain because you did a good job of doing that already.

lazyathew

I think FFX is another great battle system (like FFXIII, it stresses simplicity and elegance), but I prefer the speed and immediacy of FFXIII's battle system.

I think FFX is a superior game in most ways though, especially in terms of its visual makeup and its music. There's no song in FFXIII that even comes close to matching the beauty of Besaid Island's music (and others).

no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 no_more_fayth
Member since 2010 • 11928 Posts

Final Fantasy X has the battle system of any RPG I've ever played.

Also the Sphere Grid is the most amazing thing ever.

Not related, but I love everything about that game. :oops:

The worst battle system to me is FFVI.

Oh yeah. Totally went there.

no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 no_more_fayth

I think FFX is a superior game in most ways though, especially in terms of it's visual makeup and it's music. There's no song in FFXIII that even comes close to matching the beauty of Besaid Island's music (and others).

GreySeal9

That's because Nobuo didn't compose the music.

If Nobuo had done FFXIII's music... it might have changed the entire feel of the game.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

I think FFX is a superior game in most ways though, especially in terms of it's visual makeup and it's music. There's no song in FFXIII that even comes close to matching the beauty of Besaid Island's music (and others).

no_more_fayth

If Nobuo had done FFXIII's music... it might have changed the entire feel of the game.

Although I wouldn't expect him to do the music in the same style as X (since the environment of FFXIII was more electronic), I wish he had done the music.

FXIII's music is decent but, while you do get the occasional gem (like the battle system music), so much of it is non-descript. I think that FFX's music had way more of a unique indentity.

This conversation is making me want to put on some FFX music.

no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 no_more_fayth

[QUOTE="no_more_fayth"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

Although I wouldn't expect him to do the music in the same style as X (since the environment of FFXIII was more electronic), I wish he had done the music.

FXIII's music is decent but, while you do get the occasional gem (like the battle system music), so much of it is non-descript. I think that FFX's music had way more of a unique indentity.

He could totally do a more electronic feel.

VII, VIII, IX, and X... all the styles are different.

Granted, he has orchestral, classical songs in each, the majority of the songs in each game differs in style.

I have the soundtracks if you wanna borrow them. :P

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="no_more_fayth"]

no_more_fayth

Granted, he has orchestral, classical songs in each, the majority of the songs in each game differs in style.

Awesome. Actual CDs>Youtube.

Did you order them online? I assume that you can't find them in a record store.

no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 no_more_fayth

[QUOTE="no_more_fayth"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

Awesome. Actual CDs>Youtube.

Did you order them online? I assume that you can't find them in a record store.

Good ol' Amazon. :oops:

YoungSinatra25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 YoungSinatra25
Member since 2009 • 4314 Posts

God turned based combat is awful, might as well be playing a board game.

They need middle ground between turn based and real time... Which I think their doing for the next instalment.
Sorry for ranting. I just find TBC this generation of gaming archiac. It limits gameplay and overall immersion.

no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 no_more_fayth

They need middle ground between turn based and real time... Which I think their doing for the next instalment.
Sorry for ranting. I just findTBC thisgeneration of gamingdumb and archiac.It limitsgameplay and overall immersion...

YoungSinatra25

I love turn-based battle.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="YoungSinatra25"]

Sorry for ranting. I just findTBC thisgeneration of gamingdumb and archiac.It limitsgameplay and overall immersion...

no_more_fayth

Yeah, I love it too, especially during the boss fights. Contrary to what some people might think, turn-based boss battles can be incredibly tense. Particularly challenging ones have me at the edge of my seat and it's fun to figure out what kind of strategy you need to use.

no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 no_more_fayth

[QUOTE="no_more_fayth"]

[QUOTE="YoungSinatra25"]

GreySeal9

Yeah, I love it too, especially during the boss fights. Contrary to what some people might think, turn-based boss battles can be incredibly tense. Particularly challenging ones have me at the edge of my seat and it's fun to figure out what kind of strategy you need to use.

I'm the same way.

I made a blog about my favorite boss battles.

Fighting Yunalesca in X... oh my god, that was a heart-pounder.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="no_more_fayth"]

no_more_fayth

I'm the same way.

The thing in most remember from that battle is Mega Death driving me nuts. But of course that made beating the battle that much more satisfying.

no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 no_more_fayth

[QUOTE="no_more_fayth"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

I'm the same way.

The thing in most remember from that battle is Mega Death driving me nuts. But of course that made beating the battle that much more satisfying.

Auron's speech before the fight breaks out just totally gets you in the mood to kick her ass.

But of course the first time playing, you don't know what's coming. :o

She has a few tricks up her sleeve.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="no_more_fayth"]

I'm the same way.

no_more_fayth

Auron's speech before the fight breaks out just totally gets you in the mood to kick her ass.

Yeah. Auron was pretty bad ass. He should be brought up when FF-haters try to accuse the series of only featuring girly men.

It did look kind of weird how his arm hung out of his outfit though...

no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 no_more_fayth

[QUOTE="no_more_fayth"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

Yeah. Auron was pretty bad ass. He should be brought up when FF-haters try to accuse the series of only featuring girly men.

It did look kind of weird how his arm hung out of his outfit though...

I believe it's a symbol of him being monkish/samurai-ish.

I know there's a reason he does that.

JonathanL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#18 JonathanL
Member since 2002 • 22123 Posts

Yunalesca, and Seymour in Gagazet, were some great fights.

I love FFX's battle system, thoug I'm fond of the hyperactive battle system in FFX-2 as well. Most of that game is trash, but combat was wonderful.

FFXI also had an elegant battle system. A part of six who knows how it is supposed to work is a beautiful thing. Like a symphony.

Turns in combat allow for more thoughtful strategy. It's not for everyone, but a good turn-based system is a joy to play.

SirDigby84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#19 SirDigby84
Member since 2011 • 293 Posts
Tactics and FFX had the best battle systems for me. Agree with most of the others on FFVIII easily being the worst, was especially bad for me as i'm a bit ocd in rpgs and need to do everything so each time i found a new magic i had to withdraw 3x100 of it and rarely used magic as then i wanted to replace what i used. FFXIII had a good battle system that was mediocre till you had a full party at chapter 11 and became great post game with a fully maxed crystarium trying to 5 star the harder hunts.
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

(1) FF13, Paradigm shift makes for fast paced, fun, and challenging combat.

(2) FF8, the Junction system was a great change of pace, was it flawed? Yeah..you spend hours drawing magic and it punishes you for using it, but it was great to use 1 time, it enabled the most powerful characters of the series, only the 7 characters come even close.

You put status effects on your mellee attacks, become immune to status effects, absorb elemental attacks, super boost your stats, its a great system that would just need some tweaking if they ever used ita gain.

(3) FF7, materia was a great idea, anyone can do anything.

I also personally like Crisis Core, Zack was a beast.

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

Favourite was FFVII. Straightforward, uncomplicated, and easy to use, yet incredibly effective. Not at all convoluted in the slightest bit.

Least favourite was FFXII. Some kind of strange unwelcome mixture of real-time + turn-based combat that just didn't sit well with me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
Member since 2010 • 1750 Posts
ffxii and ffxi is the worse. ffxiii is the best
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I would say I like FF9 battle system the best. They have a good away of keep the rich enemies. I like the real time system.

FF12 is the worst battle system. They enemies really did not seam that rich to me.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#24 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Best battle systems?

-Final Fantasy I
-Final Fantasy IV
-Final Fantasy V
-Final Fantasy VI
-Final Fantasy VII
-Final Fantasy IX
-Final Fantasy X

Worst battle systems?

-Final Fantasy VIII
-Final Fantasy XI
-Final Fantasy XII
-Final Fantasy XIII
-Final Fantasy XIV

Just my opinion though...

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#25 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
I thought Final Fantasy 13 had the worst battle system boring, long fights, and it took no thought (most JRPGs don't I know but almost every battle involved mashing A/X and sometimes healing). Worst summons too.
ElectricEchoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 ElectricEchoes
Member since 2010 • 204 Posts

The materia system in VII worked great. FFX also has a great system.

FFX-2, FFXII, FFXIII being the worst for me.

tekken220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 tekken220
Member since 2008 • 5105 Posts

Sorry for ranting. I just find TBC this generation of gaming archiac. It limits gameplay and overall immersion.

YoungSinatra25

XIII already did that.

On topic: I've played a few main FFs, which are I, III, IV, VII, IX and XIII.

The best for me is FFXIII. While that auto-something (can't remember the name lol) made it somewhat easy, it's fast paced, and it just feels great. The worst for me is *flame shield* the first FF. Yes I know it's old and shouldn't really be criticized, but i played only a few FFs, and this one's system felt odd.

Peanutbutterz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Peanutbutterz
Member since 2011 • 219 Posts

I actually thought FFXII had the best battle system, while FFXIII had the worst. The only thing that sucked about FFXII was the story and irrelevant main character. Otherwise the seamless open world battles were great. FFXIII was fast pace, but there was no thinking to it at all. I think I literally button mashed myself through the whole thing with making some very minor deicsions along the way. The crafting was pretty good, but it's not apart of the battle system, which was the only thing a player had to think about in the game. If you put a few mins into upgrading equipment, you could EASYILY button mash all the way through. FFX is my second choice for the second best. I can say it was one of the more challenging FFs I've played. The only reason why I place FFXII over X is because of the seamless game play. FFX's story with FFXII's gameplay would make the best FF game ever.

I feel like people are hating on FFXII's batte system because of the story. The battle system itself, is the best system. X is a close 2nd. XIII is just a joke. Just imagine FFXII's battle system in today's time of gaming in a seamless, open world environment, which is what FF needs to get back to instead of this linear gameplay, button mash crap.

Avatar image for theloneronin827
theloneronin827

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 theloneronin827
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="no_more_fayth"]

no_more_fayth

I'm the same way.

Ah Yunalesca, I still remember pacing back and forth in my room yelling orders like a football coach for over an hour. Too bad the PS2 didn't have trophies or achievements back then, I would have loved one after that fight.

FFX was my favorite combat system, I feel the turn by turn added an extra layer of strategy as opposed to hoping my ATB bar filled before the next attack.

JonathanL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JonathanL

FFXII was an attempt to create an offline MMO. The battle system wasn't bad, but the enemy types made it constantly vexing.

Mete, what didn't you like about FFXI's battle system?

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#31 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

id give the overall best system to FFXI. the preparation beforehand is rewarding and then the actual combat gives the best sense of teamwork in any final fantasy game. once the early levels are through, every party member has to know their objective and be aware of what everybody else is doing. one slip up by anybody and the whole party is in for a long fight. plus i just like how there isnt a transition to a battle screen. it gives everything a place in the world.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
X had the outright best battle system. There are good things about the others. I would've liked Final Fantasy Tactics to have a limit break system, but....if I say anymore I'll be spoiling a secret...so it's okay. As for the worst, the junction system wasn't bad. What bothered me was having to stock magics and more importantly, be at low health to limit break (unless I used Aura). That was not a good idea.
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
Best: FF X-2, and FF XIII I like the fast paced battle systems, too bad they aren't in better Final Fantasy games. FF X was also quite good, I liked being able to switch characters in and out during battle. Worst: FF II and FF VIII Leveling system is so bad in FF II, and junction system was annoying.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Metamania

FFXII was an attempt to create an offline MMO. The battle system wasn't bad, but the enemy types made it constantly vexing.

Mete, what didn't you like about FFXI's battle system?

JonathanL

I found the battle system to be boring and slow, Jonathan. I'd like to have more control of my actions instead of just watching my character just swinging away constantly. I even played this game with a couple of friends and still, for the life of me, could not stay interested in it. But I guess, by that point, after spending several days to a week trying to get this game installed, then playing it for a few days more, I just found the battle system to be not a whole lot of fun.

One of these days, Square should take a page from Namco and learn something from one of the Tales games; that's a terrific battle system that should be in a role-playing gane. Fast, fun, and furious, plus I love the challenge. FFXI wasn't that fun for me...then again, I am not a huge fan of MMOs to begin with. Too much time wasted on it when I could have been playing better games to begin with.

And you're right - FFXII was an attempt to create an offline MMO...part of the reason why it's not a good Final Fantasy at all.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 branketra

FFXII was an attempt to create an offline MMO.

JonathanL

For a while, I thought I was the only who noticed.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

Final Fantasy XII and Tactics were the best, with Final Fantasy II being the worst.

I think VII did a lot for the genre but hasn't aged well.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Are we talking about the leveling ssystem or just combat?

JonathanL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JonathanL

I understand that there are fans of the Tales games, and that's fine, but I hate that battle system. I like the concept of injecting action into RPG battles, but the way Tales games do it, with some kind of lobotomized fighting game thing, just doesn't fly for me.

Velric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 Velric
Member since 2003 • 3842 Posts

For myself, FFX had the best battle system. It had the system we all grew to love with each of the advancements the series had made over the years with the addition of it's own - character switching.

The worst would be FFVIII. I didn't enjoy the draw system and I felt the game relied far too heavily on summons.

Best battle system of all? Grandia series.

Velric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Velric

YoungSinatra25

How does it limit combat? It's strategic.

Some players want a heavy action based game that require combo memorizations and quick reflexes, others like to take their time and plan ahead. To each their own. I save the combos for fighting games and series like Ninja Gaiden.

Velric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Velric

no_more_fayth

I am genuinely curious what you don't like about FFVI's combat system. It has the standard turn based gameplay, a wide selection of characters with different roles, a standard summon system that also offers the ability to learn spells, and the active time battle system.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

I don't really understand how the Junction system is "complex," let alone "overly complex." Put magic in a stat, it goes up. I personally think it's a great idea, but I think it was handled poorly. Which is why, unfortunately, I would agree with FFVIII being one of the lesser battle systems.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

let me say the worst FF battle system.... FF8, because junction system is confusing....until you get to the 2nd disc...or when you played the game for the second round. However, once you get most of the Guardian force and draw many magic... it's getting addictive

Having Pocketstation is a Plus for this game....for having ot's of rare magic

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 branketra

I don't really understand how the Junction system is "complex," let alone "overly complex." Put magic in a stat, it goes up. I personally think it's a great idea, but I think it was handled poorly. Which is why, unfortunately, I would agree with FFVIII being one of the lesser battle systems.

hakanakumono
It wasn't hard to understand. I wasn't really bothered by the junction system anyway. The major problem I had with it was that I had magic as if they were items. It was weird.
no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 no_more_fayth

[QUOTE="no_more_fayth"]

Velric

I am genuinely curious what you don't like about FFVI's combat system. It has the standard turn based gameplay, a wide selection of characters with different roles, a standard summon system that also offers the ability to learn spells, and the active time battle system.

I don't like equipping pretty much every character with a sword and shield.

Totally defeats the purpose of front row and back row.

Yeah, that game has four thousand characters.

Too bad they all get, like, one move.

I don't like being able to choose whatever magic I want people to have once you get summons.

The main reason why I disliked FFXII was because any character could use any weapon or magic you wanted them.

That destroys part of their personality.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#46 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

[QUOTE="YoungSinatra25"]

Velric

How does it limit combat? It's strategic.

Some players want a heavy action based game that require combo memorizations and quick reflexes, others like to take their time and plan ahead. To each their own. I save the combos for fighting games and series like Ninja Gaiden.

Very rarely are turn based JRPGs strategic. I usually don't like turn based JRPGs because battles take longer, animations are boring and there is usually just one for each attack, and very few require any real strategy other than keep attacking with whatever and heal anyone who is going to die, once you get further into the game it becomes more, "can the enemy kill me in one attack?" No, well, then they can't win because I can just use items or a spell to heal everyone all the way. Most turn based JRPGs are also incredibly easy until you get to the last boss or last few bosses then you have to run around level grinding to make the battle win able, and once it is it's usually just more of the same.

I don't really understand how the Junction system is "complex," let alone "overly complex."

Nothing complicated about it at all, I understood it when I was eight. No reason to complain about complexity. Now, was it handled poorly and was it boring, those are what people should complain about.

Following a mostly linear path on a board unless you want to screw up characters by giving them pointless abilities. Seemed more like a waste of time.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Metamania

I don't really understand how the Junction system is "complex," let alone "overly complex."

hakanakumono

It was complex when people didn't understand it first, myself included, but once they did get the idea, either they used it or they don't. For me, when I played the most atrocious FF on the planet, it was so f****** boring to grind hours and hours of spells that you didn't need to have in the first place. Only a few spells even mattered in the end, so having at least up to 20-30 of those spells are just fine. Not once did I EVER use the Junction system to my benefit, because let's be honest, you really don't need it. I've made it to the last boss without even touching the system....that's how bad it was. It was boring to use, it was handled poorly, and it was just a bad system overall. The Junction system, quite frankly, was a system that should not EVEN EXIST...but it is there...and that sucks major ass!

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
FF12 had the best one IMO -you didn't have to leave the map screen -you could set it on auto-pilot if you wanted or maintain total control
QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

I'd have to go with VI, VIII, and X (despite its numerous gameplay failings) as the best of Final Fantasy gameplay. I can't speak for XII and XIII as I haven't played them. VI provided a variety of characters each with their own unique skills to go along with equipping the espers for added measure. VIII actually forced gamers to hit other buttons besides "X", a huge step for Final Fantasy gamers. In all seriousness however, the QTEs for unleashing a character's finisher was a nice touch, the overworld, having to find parts for your weapons for the upgrades and level design were executed splendidly. The Junction system was quite brilliant and allowed for a good deal of customization. Such "freedom" was almost unheard of in FF at that time. I might even call FFVIII the single best gameplay system of the series.

FFX brought us swapping characters in battle and opened up new strategic options (it was about ******* time Square). Depsite the crests/sigils debacle this edition of FF really opened up things a lot. It's just too bad that physical attacks became worthless later in the game without a FAQ to help unlock the ultimate weapons.

As far as the worst, that would be all the other FF games that I haven't mentioned. FFI gets a pass as it was the first, but I find the rest of the FF games needlessly trapped in the comfort zone of being a class JRPG borefest. Hardly any distinguishing features, just a lot of silly cliches and near 8-bit era RPG gameplay.

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#50 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

I don't like equipping pretty much every character with a sword and shield.

Totally defeats the purpose of front row and back row.

Yeah, that game has four thousand characters.

Too bad they all get, like, one move.

I don't like being able to choose whatever magic I want people to have once you get summons.

The main reason why I disliked FFXII was because any character could use any weapon or magic you wanted them.

That destroys part of their personality.

no_more_fayth

all your dislikes make no sense. you don't like everyone equipping anything in ff12 but you don't like having to equip characters with their specific weapons in ff6? you don't like the open ended customizable characters in ff12 but you also don't like the characters in ff6 that have their pre-set move?

it basically sounds to me like you don't really know what you want in a game. unless its just characters finding their own specific little weapons that automatically equip. at which point why bother getting new weapons, why not just have everything powerup after a certain point.... at which point why bother playing a jrpg?