Best ww2 rts or modern war rts.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Twisted14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Twisted14
Member since 2007 • 3497 Posts

I've been thinking about buying a WW2 RTS game. My computer won't handle Company of Heroes, so that's out of the question until I upgrade. But has anyone played something good from maybe pre-2005 or 2004 that they would recommend.

Also, if anyone knows of a good modern war rts, please tell.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

There are a few, but believe me when I say that none, and I mean NONE, can compare or compete with Company of Heroes.

I was in your same shoes with a low powered CPU, but I wanted a WW2 RTS so much I bought the game regardless. Of course I was bummed out when my CPU couldn't handle it. So I had to do what I needed and that was to upgrade...and it's the best thing I ever did with my CPU ever.

In other words, it's worth it! Company of Heroes is the best and you won't regret anything. That game alone forced me to upgrade and I'm very glad I did.

BUt if you're still looking for another series, I hear Blitzkrieg is pretty good. There are a few sequels as well. I think they're optimizeable. Also, Dawn of the Modern World has a whole WWII section as well as Empire Earth. You can find Empire Earth at any major store but you need to download Dawn of the Modern World off of Steam.

Hope this helps.

Twisted14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Twisted14
Member since 2007 • 3497 Posts
Thanks man, I might check out Blitzkrieg. I'm not really into the whole online thing and actually isn't there something about having to be online to play the single player in CoH? Maybe I should broaden my genre and make it ww2 and modern war rts games if there are any. But I will see if I can find blitzkrieg anywhere.
adarmus47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 adarmus47
Member since 2006 • 158 Posts

It depends on the style of RTS you want, but for me in order of preference-

1. Soldiers Heroes of WW2

2. The Close Combat Series, especially Invasion Normandy

3. Blitzkrieg

4. Hearts of Iron

5. Sudden Strike

6. Codename Panzer's

cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 cobrax25
Member since 2006 • 9649 Posts

Thanks man, I might check out Blitzkrieg. I'm not really into the whole online thing and actually isn't there something about having to be online to play the single player in CoH? Maybe I should broaden my genre and make it ww2 and modern war rts games if there are any. But I will see if I can find blitzkrieg anywhere.Twisted14

you only need to be online when you activate the game, after that your done.

CaptHawkeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 CaptHawkeye
Member since 2004 • 13977 Posts

It depends on the style of RTS you want, but for me in order of preference-

1. Soldiers Heroes of WW2

adarmus47

Soldiers could have been a real awesome game if Codemasters had improved the AI and forced a little less micro-managing on the player. A mod was released that helped it out, but ultimately, it's more of a chore than fun.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#8 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

[QUOTE="Twisted14"]Thanks man, I might check out Blitzkrieg. I'm not really into the whole online thing and actually isn't there something about having to be online to play the single player in CoH? Maybe I should broaden my genre and make it ww2 and modern war rts games if there are any. But I will see if I can find blitzkrieg anywhere.cobrax25

Are you serious? So if Relic's servers eventually go down I won't be able to play CoH anymore?

cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 cobrax25
Member since 2006 • 9649 Posts
[QUOTE="cobrax25"]

[QUOTE="Twisted14"]Thanks man, I might check out Blitzkrieg. I'm not really into the whole online thing and actually isn't there something about having to be online to play the single player in CoH? Maybe I should broaden my genre and make it ww2 and modern war rts games if there are any. But I will see if I can find blitzkrieg anywhere.Rekunta

Are you serious? So if Relic's servers eventually go down I won't be able to play CoH anymore?

no, you only need to be online, when installing the game, after that your done.

and Im sure if Relic were to ever shut its servers down, it would probably remove the online verification process.