Best video game story ever? NO SPOILERS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Timbydude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Timbydude
Member since 2005 • 1087 Posts
What game do you think had the best story you've ever seen and (if you can do it WITHOUT SPOILING THE STORY) why?
TrojanMan10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TrojanMan10
Member since 2005 • 66 Posts
Final Fantasy X

unforgetable character intertwined to the story perfectly, beautiful scenery

if you've played it u know its great and unfortgetable... life changing perhaps haha
Helloiseeu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#3 Helloiseeu
Member since 2007 • 786 Posts
Starcraft and the expansion. The storyline should be made into a movie. You gotta play it to know how good it is.
TheGrayEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheGrayEye
Member since 2006 • 2579 Posts
Deus Ex. It was like playing the protagonist in an awsome sci-fi chase thriller. All the twists and turns you come across were great, you didn't know who you could trust. It was also very smart, it connected alot with real world conspiracy theories, and actual politcal concepts to get you thinking alot about the choices you had to make. Over all, I don't think I had played a game so much, just to find out what happens next.
yakk_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 yakk_3
Member since 2005 • 1442 Posts
Metal Gear Solid 3. The cutscenes were incredible and the ending was unforgettable. I find Final Fantasy X's story to be very boring and overrated. It's like I am watching a bunch of terrible actors star in a movie with a very cheesy plot line.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts
Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Stalker and World In Conflict.
enterprise1345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 enterprise1345
Member since 2005 • 360 Posts
I would prob have to say Bioshock,aswell as Oblivion and KOTOR.
yakk_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 yakk_3
Member since 2005 • 1442 Posts
I would prob have to say Bioshock,aswell as Oblivion and KOTOR.enterprise1345
Is Oblivion's story better than Morrowind's? Because I found Morrowind's really hard to get in to.
TrojanMan10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TrojanMan10
Member since 2005 • 66 Posts
o ya forgot to add kotor was brilliant as well, and kingdom hearts is always a fun story line
TallicaFan2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 TallicaFan2005
Member since 2005 • 4126 Posts

I agree with Final Fantasy X... I laughed, I cried (twice), I felt attached, I was so captivated. I could cry thinking about it. It was the summer going into my senior year of high school when I played my first Final Fantasy game (X). No one was home on a hot summer night so I hooked my PS2 up to the big screen in the living room, had snacks and soda, cranked the AC, covered the couch with blankets and pillows and pushed start.

I was blown away!!! I miss those times so bad, when I could just play games by myself in the dark all summer long, because now I have a job and go to college and I don't know if I'll ever be able to do that again :( :( But anyway, Final Fantasy X is such a part of that feeling, and it just blew me away.

Final Fantasy VII came close, but I started that before college and finished after my freshman year, so there was a big gap when I wasn't playing it and so I got disconnected from the world (of FF).

Portal is just great in a lighthearted way. Your not trying to save the world or anything, your taking part in tests against your will for aperature science, and the reward is cake (and grief counselling...yikes!). Portal came as close to reuniting me with my old gamer self than anything because I sat in my room and was able to enjoy and conquer it in one night, so school and work didn't interfere with my sheer enjoyment of the masterpiece.

[QUOTE="enterprise1345"]I would prob have to say Bioshock,aswell as Oblivion and KOTOR.yakk_3
Is Oblivion's story better than Morrowind's? Because I found Morrowind's really hard to get in to.

It's just as disconnected, at least I think. I loved Morrowind but it wasn't a game for story, but rather the environment and what you did with it. Oblivion is the same way but it doesn't make either game bad. If anything it makes them two of the best games ever made. The story isn't epic in either, but the experience sure is.

englentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#12 englentine
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
My vote goes to Eternal Darkness on the gamecube. Probably more for the freakish way the story was told.
DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts
I would also agree with Final Fantasy X, this game made me experience so many different emotion throughout the whole quest. There were times where I was sadden, but there were also times where I got really mad. To be quite honest I had no idea how the game was going to end, because of how destructive the enemies were. This was also one of the few games that I feel satisfy after beating it.
Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Robnyc22
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts

Planescape Torment....easily.

Simply stating why Planescape Torment has one of the greatest stories would take too long to write, since it's story is an achievement on many different levels.....I'll simply take the quote from Gamespot's own "Greatest Games of All Time" article on the game Here:

Because so much of the character's story came from your own choices and interpretations, you would eventually make the Nameless One's story your own. Despite its flaws, and by virtue of its unorthodox design, innovative gameplay, and distinctive story and writing, Planescape: Torment has rightfully claimed its place among GameSpot's greatest games of all time.

And from Gamespy's Hall of Fame article Here:

In fact, the Nameless One's story may very well be the best story ever put down in an RPG. While there was plenty of monster bashing, questing to do and puzzles to solve, the real challenge of the game was self discovery. In the course of his adventure, the Nameless One learns powerful lessons and love, hate, anger, betrayal, pride, hubris, self-deception, self-sacrifice and much, much more. There's enough deep philosophy in the one game to keep a freshman ****at Princeton occupied for an entire semester.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Suikoden II.

Unlike the other JRPGs like Final Fantasy (including X), the Tales series, Grandia, Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean, Arc the Lad, Valkaryie Profile, etc...at least Suikoden II's story made sense, was sane, and wasn't totally off the wall insane, silly, or ridiculous like those others I mention.

sonicare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#16 sonicare
Member since 2004 • 57168 Posts
Too many to pick just one. But Planescape Torment had a great one.
madman608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 madman608
Member since 2005 • 5560 Posts
Another World for the Amiga.
Timbydude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Timbydude
Member since 2005 • 1087 Posts

I forgot to put my favorite :P

I still think that Phoenix Wright (first one) had the best story ever, specifically in Case 4. The end of that case was possibly the biggest plot twist ever in a video game.

Anofalye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#19 Anofalye
Member since 2006 • 702 Posts

I wasn't impress by any story so far.

Xenosaga is childish, but definitely 1 huge step ahead of anything else. BioWare are pretty much the Para-Olympic champions, their stories are always worth something...well...in a sense.

Yet, if I want a good story, I open the TV or buy a serie. There is no way a computer game will compete with Stargate, Babylon 5, Buffy the Vampire Slayer...hundred or thousands of hours of good story...a strong focus on the story, always. Any leak in the story is always fun and well thinked in a serie...in a videogame...they just didn't figure it would be such a leak. Example, in NWN 2, a NPC tells you that a druid (which the main character is in love with), which was in rock elemental form, died crushed while everything fall apart...I mean, even a retard wouldn't buy this explanation...yet, it seems the devs didn't see a problem with it and it is a fact and what really happen. LOL. I am sorry, but if a DM would have been there, I would have ask for a surprised round and a weapon master + surprise round + scythe, the "lier" wouldn't have the time to even got an action after this "lie".

Again, I play GAMES, if I want a story, I go watch TV. The story in a game can be fun, it is cool...but, it is NOT the reason I am playing the game. A good story is an extra, a little bonus, never the core of a game. Characters interactions among themselves is already more of a game, and I would look a lot more favorably at devs who focus on how NPCs react to each other and allow you to affect these interaction, there is an element of GAME behind this.

darkad1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 darkad1
Member since 2005 • 665 Posts

Tetris definately ;)

My favourite video game story is Half life story (all of it, up till episode 2), it's really interesting, it's told in a manner that doesn't spoon feed the gamer and makes you care for the characters.

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts
Metal Gear Solid 2. Cutscenes were awesome, deep story.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 18189 Posts

[QUOTE="enterprise1345"]I would prob have to say Bioshock,aswell as Oblivion and KOTOR.yakk_3

They both have mediocre storylines, but Morrowind's was certainly better than Oblivion's.

Anyway, Planescape Torment is still the best, imo.

johnnyv2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#23 johnnyv2003
Member since 2003 • 13762 Posts
the Baldurs Gate series easily has the best storyline of all time.....because the story is effected by your choices....not only this but the story spans three games in an epic trilogy, and when it's all over it actually ends, there aren't any holes or openings for sequels, it actually ends......and like everything else in the game the ending is effected by your choices.....no game will ever have a better story and be better at actual storytelling than the Baldurs Gate series.
hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts

Xenogears, I liked the religious themes and conflict with the story. Too bad it was unfinished, but they did well

The "unfinished masterpiece" as I call it.

Killer_Cyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Killer_Cyborg
Member since 2003 • 2814 Posts
FF6, I just liked the balance between story and character development, nearly everyone had a backstory and I ended caring about these little piles of pixels.

Mass Effect, ok, no suprise here, you save the galaxy. What is incredible is not the end, but the way you get there and just how epic it can get.

There are many many other games with great story and I can't really say if these two are the best, but they're damn good.
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

Easily Mass Effect. Why? In over 20 years of gaming, I've never played a game that was better wrtten, acted, and scripted than ME. The characters were believable, the universe rich and flushed-out, and it was mature.

oscar530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 oscar530
Member since 2005 • 4430 Posts
Half Life series and Bioshock
majinstrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 majinstrings
Member since 2004 • 3109 Posts

Final Fantasy X

if you've played it u know its great and unfortgetable... life changing perhaps hahaTrojanMan10

Final Fantasy X really did change my life...seriously! It definitely changed the way I look at religion...

Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
Zelda OOT.
Mercer52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 Mercer52
Member since 2007 • 75 Posts

Assassins Creed

Splinter Cell Franchise

Dead Rising ( It Actualy takes a Really good Twist When Get to the end )

Call Of Duty 4

Condemned : Criminal origins

AgentSoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 AgentSoup
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

While Oblivion's story was pretty straight-forward, it grabs you at the beginning and doesn't let go. Unlike Morrowind, which made you do a bunch of crap quests before picking up speed, Oblivion forces you in the middle of everything right away.

I disagree on FFX. It's all great up until 3/4 of the way through. Then it gets really cliche with all the ____, ____, and not to mention _____ (no spoilers, right?).

I'm going to have to go with Chrono Trigger on plot. The way all the timelines intersect and how the story unfolds through different millenia, it's like a long movie.

spue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 spue
Member since 2006 • 473 Posts
mass effect
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 18189 Posts

the Baldurs Gate series easily has the best storyline of all time.....because the story is effected by your choices....not only this but the story spans three games in an epic trilogy, and when it's all over it actually ends, there aren't any holes or openings for sequels, it actually ends......and like everything else in the game the ending is effected by your choices.....no game will ever have a better story and be better at actual storytelling than the Baldurs Gate series.johnnyv2003

You've clearly never played Planescape Torment. ;)

ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ikwal
Member since 2004 • 1600 Posts
Half-Life series and Bioshock has really good storys.
skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts
MGS series (I hope MGS 4 would end it with a blast), Okami, Bully, God of War series.
BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts

[QUOTE="TrojanMan10"]Final Fantasy X

if you've played it u know its great and unfortgetable... life changing perhaps hahamajinstrings

Final Fantasy X really did change my life...seriously! It definitely changed the way I look at religion...

How so? Did the game cause you to view it in a positive or negative light?

soren008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 soren008
Member since 2008 • 2190 Posts
- Mafia -
Lovely_beauty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#38 Lovely_beauty
Member since 2007 • 167 Posts

The Witcher for me. I don't expect something deep in game, especially RPG or Action but this one really has some meaning (Think about how it discuss "Neutrality" attitude to politics). Besides NPCs will judge your actions, so whatever your choice is doesn't really spoil the meaning of the story.

5UPERMARIO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#39 5UPERMARIO
Member since 2006 • 1204 Posts
FFX, i cried at the ending
Avatar image for masterofdowload
masterofdowload

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 masterofdowload
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Prince Of persia the sands of time and prince of persia warrior within it was just interusting and complicated because you met urself in the past and tried to undo the past and the dahaka who appeared in the past and so on....

Devil May cry 3 liked Dante awlays being so arrogant and the storyline was interusting but weird at times like when you "flew" into the gian leviathan that was hovering near the tower

Chrono Cross because its just so interusting , intriguing and you you just live into the game
cried at the video where kid was killed by serges body who was posessed by lynx, but i think later on he was alive dont remember ...

God of war ( both for ps2 ) because the character was again arrogant and it showed you what was really going on at that time xD .... the story was just good i dont know how to put it in words
ace261948

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ace261948
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
its a tough one...im pretty partial to FFIV and X but then again im kinda a final fantasy nerd