BEST System to Collect for?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by bloom467 (192 posts) -
Choose the one most fun to collect for. Not all systems can be included. List the others below in comments.
#2 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5211 posts) -

Of the systems you've limited me to, I'd pick the SNES, just because it's fun to find the sought after SNES games, just because they are currently so collectable and fun to find. However, the system I have subjectively liked collecting for the most, period would be the Dreamcast. I adore my Dreamcast collection and stare at it often in wonder lol

#3 Posted by voljin1987 (988 posts) -
SNES easily
#4 Posted by Lucianu (10283 posts) -

Hmm.. i gotta say that the must enjoyment i had was collecting for the Dreamcast. Researching and hunting down hidden gems, exclusives and superior ports. Wen i got Virtua Fighter 3tb, i wasn't expecting anything due to its reputation of being a bad port. It may lack content, but it's a great fighting game and the VF mechanics are as solid as ever. Not to mention that i prefer some of the soundtracks in this one, than in the future installments.

But i think my Xbox collecting is slowly going to surpass that. So many games that are incredibly cheap. Yesterday i got Timesplitters: Future Perfect for like 3$, and am really enjoying the game. Fantastic shooter.

Hell, i may switch from collecting used copies, to brand new. Even the brand new ones are cheap.

#5 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -
I'm surprised people are naming the SNES Honestly I rank the SNES up there as one of the WORST systems to collect for, along with the Sega Saturn. the games are just so massively overpriced you always have to be on the lookout for good deals which come once in a blue a moon. I'd also place the Sega Master system as a bad console to collect for IF you live in the US
#6 Posted by final_lap (388 posts) -

I had an idea to remove the top screen from my 3DS XL.. then I'd collect DS and 3DS games that can be played this way. xD

So far I thought of Mr. Driller, Planet Puzzle League, Elite Beat Agents, Art Academy, and Zoo Keeper. There are probably a bunch of falling block, puzzle, card, and music/rhythm games that would work. There's also crossword/sudoku but I'm not interested in those. Well crosswords maybe, but sudoku no.

#7 Posted by Lucianu (10283 posts) -

I'm surprised people are naming the SNES Honestly I rank the SNES up there as one of the WORST systems to collect for, along with the Sega Saturn. the games are just so massively overpriced you always have to be on the lookout for good deals which come once in a blue a moon. I'd also place the Sega Master system as a bad console to collect for IF you live in the USrilpas

Well yeah, they're expensive, but as far as collector's items go, gaming is a incredibly cheap medium to collect in comparison to other collectable mediums.

For example, Panzer Dragoon Saga is like 200 - 300$ in a used condition which is the most sought after Saturn game. For collectable posters, that can easily skyrocket to 2000 - 5000$ - 10.000$ for sought after posters, like the original King Kong ones, or very old Coca Cola posters.

And they're dirt cheap compared to Neo Geo AES collecting. Oh, man, now that is the worst pocket eater you'll ever have if you actually want to collect for it.

#8 Posted by Darkman2007 (17928 posts) -

well that depends on what games youre looking for, what era of games do you like, what genre.

ie, if you like fighting games, the best system to collect for would be a Saturn or a Dreamcast, or even a Neo Geo , while on the other hand an NES or Master System would be boring.

if one is just getting started with collecting, I would indeed tell him to go with a more common system , and that again depends on what era one wants to collect for.

#9 Posted by TheGamer1988 (69 posts) -

I would have to say the PS2 is the best system to collect for, followed closely by the PS1

#10 Posted by yellosnolvr (19302 posts) -
snes no doubt also best library of games imo
#11 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

[QUOTE="rilpas"]I'm surprised people are naming the SNES Honestly I rank the SNES up there as one of the WORST systems to collect for, along with the Sega Saturn. the games are just so massively overpriced you always have to be on the lookout for good deals which come once in a blue a moon. I'd also place the Sega Master system as a bad console to collect for IF you live in the USLucianu

Well yeah, they're expensive, but as far as collector's items go, gaming is a incredibly cheap medium to collect in comparison to other collectable mediums.

For example, Panzer Dragoon Saga is like 200 - 300$ in a used condition which is the most sought after Saturn game. For collectable posters, that can easily skyrocket to 2000 - 5000$ - 10.000$ for sought after posters, like the original King Kong ones, or very old Coca Cola posters.

And they're dirt cheap compared to Neo Geo AES collecting. Oh, man, now that is the worst pocket eater you'll ever have if you actually want to collect for it.

I agree, but if we were to discuss to best system to collect I'd say the Ps1 or PS2 as you can get tons of great games for cheap

#12 Posted by BarbaricAvatar (982 posts) -

PS2 is definitely the best if you just want to amass a collection of awesome titles on a budget. Most games can be had for between £/$2 and £/$10.

Even if i had the desire to, i wouldn't enjoy starting anew for any of the earlier systems due to low availability and huge prices. But good luck if you do!

#13 Posted by Blueresident87 (5655 posts) -

NES for me. I enjoy SNES collecting as well, but I just love the shape of the NES games and how obscure and bizarre some of the games are.

#14 Posted by CursedChamp (485 posts) -
SNES
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
#15 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

I'd say the NES.

Most of the games are still pretty cheap, so it's easy to collect for. And it has a fanatastic game library that's large, varied, and full of hidden gems.

SNES does have a helluva game library, though. But it's getting more expensive to collect for it, lately.

#16 Posted by Panzer_Zwei (15498 posts) -

They're not the best systems to collect by far, but retro PC (Japanese)systems like PC-88, MSX2 and X68k are fantastic. Their packaging and inside stuff is simply superb, like small treasure chests.

Also, whilst games can be very difficult to find, when you do find them, they're not expensive really.

#17 Posted by drunkenpyrate (239 posts) -

SEGGGGGGGGGA

#18 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

I'd say the NES.

Most of the games are still pretty cheap, so it's easy to collect for. And it has a fanatastic game library that's large, varied, and full of hidden gems.

SNES does have a helluva game library, though. But it's getting more expensive to collect for it, lately.

Emerald_Warrior
I wouldn't say the NES is a good system for a collector, yes, you can find many cartridges for cheap, but how many CIB games can you find for the NES for a cheap price?
Avatar image for PelicanRebelLdr
#19 Posted by PelicanRebelLdr (125 posts) -
It's hard to choose between the SNES and PS2 for the best system to collect for.
#20 Posted by VendettaRed07 (14012 posts) -

The genesis is probably by far the most affordable retro system in terms of library and console. It does have its rare gems like every other system does but generally now most of its best games arent' that expensive. 

The SNES, Im lucky I got most of the gems a couple years ago because since then most games have SKYROCKETED in price. I remember getting Chrono Trigger mint + The Official Nintendo Guide for the game for 40$. Now to get all that would be almost triple. The guide alone is more expensive then what I got it for. And thats not the only one. Most of the better games, especially earthbound will cost you a lot more than most retro games.

#21 Posted by VendettaRed07 (14012 posts) -

Of the systems you've limited me to, I'd pick the SNES, just because it's fun to find the sought after SNES games, just because they are currently so collectable and fun to find. However, the system I have subjectively liked collecting for the most, period would be the Dreamcast. I adore my Dreamcast collection and stare at it often in wonder lol

Shenmue_Jehuty

Saturn really isnt' bad if you import. The games are always considerably cheaper. It only becomes a problem with the RPGs. 

#22 Posted by jsmoke03 (13696 posts) -

fun to collect or must have games? i would say

1. ps2
  2. snes
  3. ps1
  4. nes
#23 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5211 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

VendettaRed07

Saturn really isnt' bad if you import. The games are always considerably cheaper. It only becomes a problem with the RPGs. 

That's what I ended up doing several years ago. Most of the Saturn games I wanted were either import only or didn't require any, or at least barely any, knowledge of Japanese to play. As a result I have built up a nice library of Saturn games that would have cost me a fortune if I sought out the NTSC releases. For example, I paid $6 for a complete copy of House of the Dead, while the NTSC version goes for about $100 due to rarity. While the import version is not rare, I could care less since it is the exact same game.

#24 Posted by BigBen11111 (1529 posts) -

They are all fun to collect, but I voted for the Nintendo DS.

#26 Posted by XereoWarrior (135 posts) -
If you want to go retro, I'd suggest the NES. You can find a lot of great games in perfect working order for dirt cheap. It's best to get the top loader one.
#27 Posted by Bruenor2 (25 posts) -
I chose the SNES out of the options, but I'm also a big Dreamcast fanboy.
#28 Posted by naju890_963 (8954 posts) -

I chose the Genesis from the list, cheap games and fun. But I would rather collect for the PS2, so much variety

#29 Posted by Dudersaper (32951 posts) -

PS2 is definitely the best if you just want to amass a collection of awesome titles on a budget. Most games can be had for between £/$2 and £/$10BarbaricAvatar

^This, not only for the budget titles but also for having lots of great "bigger" titles

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
#30 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (9061 posts) -
[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

I'd say the NES.

rilpas
I wouldn't say the NES is a good system for a collector, yes, you can find many cartridges for cheap, but how many CIB games can you find for the NES for a cheap price?

Personally, I really don't care about having boxes for NES or SNES games. It's nice to have CIB game for them every now and then but I prefer plastic cases.
#31 Posted by logicalfrank (1686 posts) -

My favorite system to collect for is the Game Boy Advance (I chose Game Boy in the poll). First and formost, I just like the library a lot. It has a lot of great games in the classic 16-bit style w/ either their own twists or just further refinements on 2D gaming. Secondly, the little cartridges are very easy to store--even w/o a case--and are quite durable and reliable. Having grown up w/ cartridge games, there is a bit of nostalgia factor there too. I have something like a hundred GBA games that I can store in a relatively small drawer and that would be closing in on a bookcase worth of SNES games.

#32 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5211 posts) -

I chose the Genesis from the list, cheap games and fun. But I would rather collect for the PS2, so much variety

naju890_963

The Genesis is a very underappreciated retro console imo. If it were appreciated more, several of its games would be far more valuable than they are. In terms of 4th gen retro gaming/collecting it is definitely the best for the wallet.

#33 Posted by Renegade_Fury (19627 posts) -

[QUOTE="naju890_963"]

Shenmue_Jehuty

The Genesis is a very underappreciated retro console imo. If it were appreciated more, several of its games would be far more valuable than they are. In terms of 4th gen retro gaming/collecting it is definitely the best for the wallet.

I think this too, which is one of the reasons why someone like myself that doesn't consider himself as a hardcore collector, likes buying Genesis games the most often. There are so many good games, and most of the best ones can be bought around $35 tops unless you're talking imports. I think the only time I've ever cringed when buying a Genesis cartridge was for Crusader of Centy, but otherwise I don't feel for the most part like I'm throwing away money.

#34 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5211 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

[QUOTE="naju890_963"]

Renegade_Fury

I think this too, which is one of the reasons why someone like myself that doesn't consider himself as a hardcore collector, likes buying Genesis games the most often. There are so many good games, and most of the best ones can be bought around $35 tops unless you're talking imports. I think the only time I've ever cringed when buying a Genesis cartridge was for Crusader of Centy, but otherwise I don't feel for the most part like I'm throwing away money.

The most I've ever paid for a Genesis game wa $40 for MUSHA last summer (really glad I didn't have to pay full price for this game), but it was well, well worth it. However, the vast majority of the console's best games can be bought for under $25 which cannot be said for many other retro consoles, especially the SNES. I would argue that it makes you more hardcore to collect genesis games since most collectors go after SNES games, as if it is the default retro console to collect for. That and the NES.

#35 Posted by Renegade_Fury (19627 posts) -

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

Shenmue_Jehuty

The most I've ever paid for a Genesis game wa $40 for MUSHA last summer (really glad I didn't have to pay full price for this game), but it was well, well worth it. However, the vast majority of the console's best games can be bought for under $25 which cannot be said for many other retro consoles, especially the SNES. I would argue that it makes you more hardcore to collect genesis games since most collectors go after SNES games, as if it is the default retro console to collect for. That and the NES.

$40 for MUSHA? :shock:

Wow, I had to spend double that, but at least it came with Shinobi III. These days, I think it goes around the $200 mark.

I haven't looked into NES game pricing, but I agree with you on the SNES. It seems like everything is overpriced just due to the branding rather than for obscurity or quality. Earthbound is probably the most infamous perpetrator since I hear there are supposed to be many copies out there, yet it sells for a ridiculous amount. I think as time goes on, there are less people around that care about SEGA games, and really, a lot of the best games at least on the Genesis never had a huge amount of star power to begin with. It's kind of sad, but at least it's good on our wallets for those of us that do care though. :D

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
#36 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

Renegade_Fury

Wow, I had to spend double that, but at least it came with Shinobi III. These days, I think it goes around the $200 mark.

I haven't looked into NES game pricing, but I agree with you on the SNES. It seems like everything is overpriced just due to the branding rather than for obscurity or quality. Earthbound is probably the most infamous perpetrator since I hear there are supposed to be many copies out there, yet it sells for a ridiculous amount. I think as time goes on, there are less people around that care about SEGA games, and really, a lot of the best games at least on the Genesis never had a huge amount of star power to begin with. It's kind of sad, but at least it's good on our wallets for those of us that do care though. :D

You can thank Mark from Classic Game Room for driving up the price even more than it already was. He talks about the game regularly in his show. And it's probably the most popular online classic game review show on the internet besides AVGN.

#37 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5211 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

Renegade_Fury

Yep $40 lol. I found it at a newly opened game store (that is now out of business) at the time and it was sitting in their case of rare/valuable games. The price tag was on the back so before the employee got it out of the case, I was expecting at least $80 if not way more. To my extreme surprise I saw $39.99 on the price tag and knew I was going to buy it. I think the cart alone goes for about $140 and a complete copy goes for about $200; mine is the cart only, but I'm definitely not complaining :p.

I have read from various sources that Earthbound is a fairly abundant game and in no way is "rare" like many claim it is. It was one of those games that Nintendo had high hopes for in North America so they published quite a few copies, however sales never quite caught on. I admit that I really want this game, but would never in a million years pay over $100 for the game, probably not even $60. And yes, there are barious SNES games, and even some NES games, that in no way deserve their pricetag given both the quality and quantity of the specific game. I love colecting for the SNES, but refuse to pay some of the insane prices various titles go for on that system.

#38 Posted by AtelierFan (1544 posts) -
I guess it depends on a lot of things: Which is your favorite system, what kind of games do you like, if it uses battery saves do they still work, is money an object, are you going to get imports as well as your region's releases, do you need your games to be Mint CIB? For me, personally, I would say the Genesis because of nostalgia (you have no idea how awesome it was to get the Altered Beast Genesis for scoring the 'A' honor roll one term), the games that were multi-platform but had different names (Sagaia aka Darius, Devil's Crush aka Dragon's Fury), to compare versions (SNES SFII vs Genesis SFII), the exclusives, etc.. Hoestly, I like almost all game systems, though. Happy hunting!
#39 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

[QUOTE="rilpas"][QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

I'd say the NES.

Eikichi-Onizuka

Personally, I really don't care about having boxes for NES or SNES games. It's nice to have CIB game for them every now and then but I prefer plastic cases.

well yeah but the thread is about collecting, I just assumed the TC's question refers to full on hardcore collecting, meaning, owning every game CIB.

and for that, the NES, SNES and N64 are generally not good choices due to either price, the flimsy cardboard boxes, or both

#40 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

Renegade_Fury

most I've payed for a Genesis game was $40 either for Shadowrun or Contra hardcorps, can't remember

#41 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5211 posts) -

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

Emerald_Warrior

You can thank Mark from Classic Game Room for driving up the price even more than it already was. He talks about the game regularly in his show. And it's probably the most popular online classic game review show on the internet besides AVGN.

HAHA that guy cracks me up, particularly his monotone android voice :p. I do think he has some influence on the price staying high, however I think a big factor as to why it is so expensive is that it is a pretty uncommon game and was never released on the Mega Drive in PAL region. It is also the BEST shooter on the Genesis imo.

#42 Posted by VendettaRed07 (14012 posts) -

Not sure about Musha but he definitely drove up the prices of the Vetrex about 10 fold.

In 2008 you could probably get one of those things for like, 50 bucks.... Now good luck getting a functioning one for less than 300$

#43 Posted by LJSEXAY (1866 posts) -
Dreamcast, then Saturn but since they aren't options I'm going with the Genesis which created my love of gaming in the first place.
#44 Posted by Arthas045 (5761 posts) -
I really enjoy NES, but I have always wanted to start a collection with NEO GEO.
#45 Posted by logicalfrank (1686 posts) -

[QUOTE="naju890_963"]

Shenmue_Jehuty

Another nice thing about Genesis vs. SNES for collecting is it is a lot easier to find the boxes for the games. Basicallly all Nintendo boxes until Game Cube were just cardboard and seemed pretty much disposable so most people just threw them out (I know I did back then). The Genesis boxes were meant to be kept so people did.

#46 Posted by Suppaman100 (5250 posts) -

I would have to say the PS2 is the best system to collect for, followed closely by the PS1

TheGamer1988
This is by far the best answer.
#47 Posted by kriggy (1098 posts) -

genesis or snes imo

#48 Posted by AtelierFan (1544 posts) -

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

Shenmue_Jehuty

HAHA that guy cracks me up, particularly his monotone android voice :p. I do think he has some influence on the price staying high, however I think a big factor as to why it is so expensive is that it is a pretty uncommon game and was never released on the Mega Drive in PAL region. It is also the BEST shooter on the Genesis imo.

Mark Bussler of Classic Game Room has to be my favorite game journalist out there right now! I like the fact he actually likes games! he genuinely seems excited about what he does and what he plays!
#49 Posted by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -
[QUOTE="rilpas"]I'm surprised people are naming the SNES Honestly I rank the SNES up there as one of the WORST systems to collect for, along with the Sega Saturn. the games are just so massively overpriced you always have to be on the lookout for good deals which come once in a blue a moon. I'd also place the Sega Master system as a bad console to collect for IF you live in the US

Agreed, SNES is my favorite console and I think it has the best library of games overall but it's next to impossible to get most of the best games on the system because of the jacked up prices and a used system itself could cost an arm and a leg unless you're willing to take a chance on Ebay.